SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are certain movies that just make you proud to be a Chicagoan, some that are just great movies and some that just suck. I'm partial to the classics such as The Blues Brothers, Ferris Beuller's Day Off and The Untouchables. But I also liked Backdraft, Eight Men Out, The Fugitive, The Negotiator and High Fidelity just to name a few. But I'm curious to see what other movies out there strike a Chicago chord.

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
The Blues Brothers is a classic, but I also love The Monkey Hustle, a blaxploitation flick from the late '70s. It was about a bunch of residents in a Near South Side neighborhood who try to save their ghetto from being plowed for a freeway. Man that shit was seriously good entertainment.

·
386 Posts
The Blues Brothers is my favorite as I'm sure it's everybody's.

Shall We Dance w/ Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez was the worst movie I've ever seen in my life.

Special props go to Family Matters.
And all those skits w/ Chris Farely in them on SNL DA Bears.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
dont forget Chicago !! that was a great movie! or I Robot
heres a list of chicago based movies. some are good and some suck but here they are:
The Untouchables
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Blues Brotheres
While You Were Sleeping
Home Alone
Cristmas With The Krankes
Risky Business
Breakfast Club
Sixteen Candles
Adventures in Babysitting
Theif
Shall we dance
I Robot
Chicago
The fugitive
High Fidelity
Just Visiting
Wicker Park
Return to Me
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Mo' Money
Blankman
Road to Perdition
What Women Want
Never Been Kissed
Save The last Dance
Surviving Christmas
Chicago Cab
Love The Action In Chicago

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good list so far. I really loved Road to Perdition too. The incredible 1980's Chicago movie machine of John Hughes. I just remembered another great movie... Payback with Mel Gibson, that was hilarious. Lucy Liu's masochistic character and the totally self-absorbed character of James Coburn, "You shot my bags man!"

·
Registered
812 Posts
Red Heat with Belushi and Arnold-this movie made me interested about Chicago when I was a kid. One of the grittest movies of the 80s.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Home alone, was funny.
Shall we dance was like boring, I dont like dancing, but uses the red or brown lines in the movie.

Yous guys for got about barbershop, which takes place on the south side, and uses the green line.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think Ferris Bueler's Day Off. It did a great job of showing off the city with the shots of the museums, skyline, LSD, etc. Some of the others like Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles didn't show the city at all. I love Blues Brothers, but it makes Chicago look like a dirty rat hole.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Risky business is my favorite. When i move back home(oh i miss you chicago) i plan on recreating the subway scene. If anyone knows is there much security on the EL at 3 am?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
The Fugitive. BTW - Where was Kimball supposed to live at? I've always wanted to see Syke's home on the South Side.

There were some mistakes in that movie. The biggest one is when Kimball stops the train and gets off (the stop looks like Merchandise Mart), but it's called Balboa on the movie. In the movie, the L station leads into the Hilton Towers.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts