SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My all time classic favorite of course will always be Centrust tower (now Bank of America), but today, with so many new towers, I have to say, because of it's style, design wave and color, my new favorite is Espirito Santo.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
I'll always love the Wachovia (Southeast Bank). Sure, it's not exactly the Chrysler Building in public consciousness but I think it certainly has iconic status for South Floridians, as well it should.

When it went up a quarter-century ago it was genuinely exciting to see rise, and even after all those years it has only ceded tallest status to one other building in town---and only by a mere pittance at that.

Architecturally, the "front" side with the serrated top remains brilliant, understated design work. It plays off light beautifully. I don't think it will ever do anything but age gracefully, unlike a few lamentable condos like One Miami that are frankly embarrassing and cheap looking, imo.

Like the vote for the old Courthouse as well. It was Miami's first genuine SERIOUS building with staying power and even 80 years on it still has a anchor presence on that side of the skyline. I would liken it a bit to the famous City Hall here in Philly (which was actually the tallest structure in the world briefly until the Eiffel Tower rose). Overshadowed by MUCH taller buildings over time but never really lost or forgotten.

The Bacardi Building is awesome, too, but I guess it would be hard to classify it as a 'skyscraper' under any definition. Still, it's pretty iconic in its own right.

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,120 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I'll always love the Wachovia (Southeast Bank). Sure, it's not exactly the Chrysler Building in public consciousness but I think it certainly has iconic status for South Floridians, as well it should.

When it went up a quarter-century ago it was genuinely exciting to see rise, and even after all those years it has only ceded tallest status to one other building in town---and only by a mere pittance at that.

Architecturally, the "front" side with the serrated top remains brilliant, understated design work. It plays off light beautifully. I don't think it will ever do anything but age gracefully, unlike a few lamentable condos like One Miami that are frankly embarrassing and cheap looking, imo.
So did we ever find out what came first? The renderings for Southeast Bank, or Q-Bert?

and lol Q!

·
Banned
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Something I just noticed: Marquis is taller than 900 Biscayne Bay, but most of the statistical sites list 900 as being taller. :wtf:

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,120 Posts
Something I just noticed: Marquis is taller than 900 Biscayne Bay, but most of the statistical sites list 900 as being taller. :wtf:
900 Biscayne was downsized while the Marquis was upgraded! I read somewhere in the forum a while back that 900 Biscayne actually topped out at 649 feet, while the former marketing director of Arquitectonica told me that the Marquis actually topped out at 708 feet, confirming that it did break 700 feet as many of us suspected when it topped out. Some buildings are shorter than the original specs while others like the Marquis, Viceroy, and Epic are taller.

·
5,837 Posts
Have you been to Miami before?????
Of course. I have a pretty strong connection to WPB-Boynton-Plantation-Hialeah-SoBe. I know they're not all Miami but South Florida in general.

·
Banned
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
900 Biscayne was downsized while the Marquis was upgraded! I read somewhere in the forum a while back that 900 Biscayne actually topped out at 649 feet, while the former marketing director of Arquitectonica told me that the Marquis actually topped out at 708 feet, confirming that it did break 700 feet as many of us suspected when it topped out. Some buildings are shorter than the original specs while others like the Marquis, Viceroy, and Epic are taller.
Let's hope Met2 keeps going and going and going and going....

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
1. Freedom Tower

This is my favorite building in Miami. When I went to the Heat victory parade, I spent most of my time just staring at it, admiring it. I wish I could by it...turn it into a private residence...and paint it pink!!! A real Miami icon.

2. Dade County Courthouse

Stately design from a bygone era.

3. One Biscayne Tower

The tallest building in Miami when I was a teenager. I would walk past it and stare up with awe...never imagining that anything could ever be taller than that...

Now....for 21st century stuff....I like Espirito Santo Plaza the best...!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
In no particular order:

-Dade County Courthouse
-Espiritu Santo Plaza
-Ingraham Building
-Met 2 and 1450 Brickell (I know they're not finished, but they're looking awesome so far)

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Architecturally, the "front" side with the serrated top remains brilliant, understated design work. It plays off light beautifully.
My favorite too. With the Point of View from the 836 East ramp to Southbound 95, the Southeast Bank building looks like a thin flat wall, the optical illusion is fantastic.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts