SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dr.Med. Tom Green
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to have such weather during my next trip to HK

I had such weather.

I like to make nice pics but the weather during my visit destroyed many of my pics.

When do you have the best view in HK? I don`t care about temperature or storms. I want to make just clear picture.

·
Registered
659 Posts
it's actually really hard to predict. it depends on your luck these days.

but winter and spring tends to be misty all the time.. say from november all the way till april.. it'll turn better mid-april till october. then again, it's also very much influenced by the prevailing wind because pollution will accumulate quite badly (thx to the factories in the Pearl River Delta) if there's no wind even during summer.

i'm also quite annoyed myself to be honest. because i was back during easter for almost 3 weeks and i think only 2 out of 21 days i saw blue sky with clouds but that's generally the worst time though. (march-ish)

·
Registered
659 Posts
taken: 19/4/2004

taken: 26/4/2004

taken: 29/6/2004

taken: 7/7/2004

they're FOR REFERENCE only because air quality has gone bad these days... still don't understand why.. because the government has already made an effort to improve air quality. if you notice, all the taxis in hong kong are on LPG.

·
Registered
227 Posts
hongkonger have nothing that they can do....
how can hongkonger stop the operation of world factory(PRD)?
those manufacturer and citizen in PRD never think about environmental protential,only care money,corruption

·
Registered
414 Posts
I know it's a shame. But lets not forget that most of the factories in the PRD have connections with Hong Kong companies. Many are owned by Hong Kong companies. Maybe HK companies need to forget about huge profit margins and settle for smaller ones.

Tom-Green, Summer May - Oct is the best time to get clear blue skies.

June is my favourite month, scorching hot! Just how I like it! =P

·
Registered
659 Posts
shibuya_suki said:
hongkonger have nothing that they can do....
how can hongkonger stop the operation of world factory(PRD)?
those manufacturer and citizen in PRD never think about environmental protential,only care money,corruption
measures have recently been taken in the PRC (guangdong province) to reduce the emission of poisonous gas from factories and hopefully we'll see the effect soon. but in fact, as what pookgai has said, most factories (i'm quite sure it's more than half) in guangdong are owned by HKers.

·
121,960 Posts
I have consistently seen very clear photos from the summer when the winds blow fresh tropical air from the South China Sea. I spent a whole winter and part of spring in Hong Kong a few years ago and it was oftentimes hazy.

The extent of how bad the haze affects your photos vary though depending on the angle. Victoria Harbour was very hazy while East Kowloon was quite clear in these photos taken at around the same time.

·
Major of Altantica
152 Posts
what is the haze? is it polution? or just water mists that are kicked up from all the ship in the harbour.

·
Registered
419 Posts
the difference is enormous ...
the views are as good in day time
as night time on a clear day ...
apparently 2004 was the most unclear in hk's history ...

The best is definitely during summer time ...
i like may ... not so hot that its unbearable ...
yet clear enough ...

a lot of difference ...

I think the whole pearl river delta needs to work together ...

·
Success and Happiness
6,696 Posts
InitialD18 said:
The best is definitely during summer time ...
i like may ... not so hot that its unbearable ...
yet clear enough ...
I've just came back from HK 3 hours ago. Raining/Cloudy since I arrived on 26th May till yesterday. This morning was still slightly cloudy at the avenue of stars... I was hoping for clear blue skies...

·
Registered
659 Posts
vincent said:
well, the best thing about rain is that you get super clear sky the next day.
yes yes totally agree...
nah, the best time to visit hk is definitely now. (just right before the rain season begins)

·
Success and Happiness
6,696 Posts
perhaps, it's true for you guys.

I must be very unlucky then... had grey cloudy skies when I was there from 26 - 29 May 2005. Drizzled on 26 May night when we arrived. Rained heavily on 27 & 28 May night when we walked along Nathan Rd from Mongkok to hotel (near avenue of stars) and on 27 May noon while we were going up the Peak :_( The night on 27 May at one of the stations was the worst... very crowded and wet, wet, wet...

If not for the colourful signboards, boats, buses and food, my pictures will be in grey and/or blue tones.

Nevertheless, such weather is beyond anyone's control. We simply take it easy, be optimistic and overcome obstacles along the way. Maybe, if we had stayed longer, would be able to see clear blue skies :)

·
Banned
331 Posts
vincent said:
well, the best thing about rain is that you get super clear sky the next day.
Ahh yeah, you're right about that... but I take it that it rains much of the time during this season.

·
121,960 Posts
It could be worse in a few months when the typhoons start wrecking havoc, shutting down the whole city and turning Hong Kong into a deserted metropolis. However, the skies tend to clear out beautifully right after these storms with no haze!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts