SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
678 999 8212
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard old timers say it's been in a bubble since the 80s and it's never gonna pop.

Myself I see it starting c.2010. How real estate is spiking during a pandemic is just nuts. I really don't see an end. I had thought previously that only foreign investors are causing price hikes, but I realized recently, that just about all the people I know here are, in one way or another, also involved in GTA real estate investing or want to get into it (all the while many also complain it's too much).

I feel (yes it's a conspiracy) that realtors artificially created the current pandemic boom by falsely manufacturing demand.

On the other hand, I've heard from some people that Toronto (GTA) has become a hub for black money, similar to Dubai; a safe place for international criminals and money launderer to hold their wealth in real estate assets.

_
I don't know if a similar thread already exists. If it does, please merge. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
79,182 Posts
These boards have been full of predictions of the market crashing in Toronto since I joined in 2005. Economists, particularly British ones, seem to have been predicting a great crash for both Canada, and Toronto, for well over a decade. Even having been through this horrendous pandemic, the market is still very strong. I think sooner or later they will have to come to the conclusion that the market maybe isn't as overheated as has been adamantly predicted for a decade. That's just my guess....

·
41,220 Posts
There are myriad factors that, in combination, affect supply, demand, real estate prices, etc. Rather than focus on sensationalist sound bites it's far more useful to understand the many factors that support these things. It also helps to look at policies, regulations, checks, and balances in place to maintain an even keel.

Avoiding a crash is imperative and something we've avoided since the boom started in 2005. Reeling in prices has proven more difficult. At the end of the day, if people can't afford housing, prices will either moderate or people will leave for greener pastures.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.