Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there:)so when will reach Los angeles the 20 million mark in inhabitans ? I mean in urban area . yet the urban area of LA must be 14 million , but when it claims over 20 ?

i think it can take the 20 million mark before 2030 ...

·
Paradise Island
3,773 Posts
It may never get there. Cities don't necessarily grow quickly forever. As LA gets bigger it will also become even more expensive which could lead to more out migration and cause growth to slow.

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
At the current growth rate, it won't take too long to reach 20 million. But Somnifor makes a good point. Right now, there is not enough density to handle all of these people and many will have to live further and further out as the city becomes more and more expensive to live in. The city has not taken a good approach to building up land, and unless it starts doing so, we will begin to see a reversal in trends because just by traffic, you know that this can't keep up with current infrastructure.

·
53,929 Posts
I think it will reach it quite fast. If you look at the stunning growth a lot of cities have experienced in the Inland Empire. San Diego and Inland Empire may eventually grow into one urbanized area (if not so already).

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
I think it will reach it quite fast. If you look at the stunning growth a lot of cities have experienced in the Inland Empire. San Diego and Inland Empire may eventually grow into one urbanized area (if not so already).
I really don't know how long that can last though. The traffic out there is just going to get worse and worse to a point where people will just have to stop and either move out or not buy houses further out.

Hopefully a cap can be put on development that prevents anything new outside of a certain boundary, but you know that's not going to happen, even though it should.

·
Margela Schurkel
1,938 Posts
LA is only 2.5 million people away from the 20-million-mark! Or are you talking about the MSA and not the CSA?

I think the question that is more important is the year LA gets bigger than New York.

·
53,929 Posts
By the way, what about the population growth north of the San Gabriel Mountains (Palmdale/Lancaster/Apple Valley/Hesperia). I thought they grow pretty quick, however it's a hell of a commute to LA or SB/RIV from there. Especially with the rising gas prices (however it's still a far cry from European gas prices), people might not accept driving 40 - 60 miles for a job anymore. I love driving, but I like to keep my commute short. Commuting is such a waste of time...

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I think this will never happen. America is a dying country and will eventually fizzle out or be taken over. All the growth in this world is in places like Canada, China, India, Japan and Brazil. Also, it would not make sense for that many people to live in a geographically sensitive region. Did we not learn from Katrina?

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
philla, are you kidding? Los Angeles is not a geographically sensitive region. We have everything in place for earthquakes so it will not be anything like Katrina when the "big one" hits.

And if America is a dying country, then why are you still living here? There are definitely problems, and we can fix these. We just need to balance the budget, work on a sustainable urban form, regain our manufacturing base, and become a creditor nation once again (ridding ourselves of our great national debt).

But let's not let this drift into a subject about the US economic and urban problems.

·
Paradise Island
3,773 Posts
The other factor that could slow LA's growth is demographic change in Mexico.

Two factors have driven a large amount of the immigration to the US. Mexico had a giant baby boom in the second half of the 20th century and as a result people were entering the job market faster than jobs were being created. Also the country has been rapidly urbanizing, some of the surplus rural poor have headed for American cities rather than Mexican ones. The baby boom is now over and urbanization is closer to the end than the beginning. It is likely that in the near future there will be significantly fewer Mexicans showing up in LA to look for work.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
"And if America is a dying country, then why are you still living here? There are definitely problems, and we can fix these. We just need to balance the budget, work on a sustainable urban form, regain our manufacturing base, and become a creditor nation once again (ridding ourselves of our great national debt)."

I wish I shared your optimism what mood elevator are you on? I would love to move to another country. It's not that easy though. America needs to free itself of the noose called the "automobile". We don't need oil. We need to be car free,change some zoning laws and make the gas 11 dollars a gallon. That should help our cities grow with residents. We also need to start relying on our own resources. No more Bananas from Brazil. In 10-15 years the US will be finished if we keep chugging the way that we are.

"Politicians may claim America is on the upswing, but in fact, it’s in freefall.

People are working longer and harder and aren’t staying afloat. This year, 1.6 million families will have filed for bankruptcy, an all-time high.

Among the ten wealthiest nations, despite a record 2.1 million people in our prisons, the US has the highest violent crime rate. If our children are our future, prospects are bleak indeed.

Despite spending more per capita on education than any of the 25 leading industrialized nations, the National Assessment of Educational Progress reports that fewer than 20 percent of US 17-year-olds read at a "competent" level.

The question is, “Why is America in freefall and what should we do about it?”"

·
Margela Schurkel
1,938 Posts
I think this will never happen. America is a dying country and will eventually fizzle out or be taken over. All the growth in this world is in places like Canada, China, India, Japan and Brazil. Also, it would not make sense for that many people to live in a geographically sensitive region. Did we not learn from Katrina?
USA dying? It's apart from Israel the only developed country that has a high enough birth rate to keep it's population growing!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
"Gas is that expensive in the Netherlands. Changes nothing though."

Yes it does. You guys have incredible rail systems so people that drive will regardless. People in the US are forced to drive since we don't have the rail infrastructure of Europe. We need to create light rail all throughout US cities like LA. Every main drag should have light rail going down the middle. The US severely lacks transportation options. Cars were originally intended for Sunday drives not 180 mile round trip power commutes. Portland is the only city that thinks as rabidly as me. Cities that dont already have light rail or subways have a major disadvantage.

·
53,929 Posts
To get back to Los Angeles, it's pretty dense already for an area that is completely suburban in nature, but are there any plans to make neighborhoods more dense by constructing condo's and apartment complexes to deal with the population growth? I mean, Greater LA is becoming just too large in area. I think it's larger than Tokyo metro already, if not one of the largest urban area's in size across the world.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
You're exaggerating quite a bit. The USA has been through many worse eras (World Wars, Civil Wars, Great Depression) and has bounced back. Markets will always go up and down. As far as growth, many of the countries you listed have to grow a whole lot to reach the economy of the USA. I don't believe we will always be the biggest economy but we will for a while unless Europe totally unites/ we hit rock bottom, or the the world truly globalizes.

That being said...........Doesn't Los Angeles have major water issues??

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.