• 10-20 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 20 years

Votes: 4 13.8%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
25,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When will Townsville get a department store such as Myer or DJ's etc. Sunshine Coast, Cairns and Toowoomba have them. I hope it is within the next 5 years but I really think it will happen between 5 and 10 years.

·
Townsville
552 Posts
I think the delay is due to the new city mall not being built as yet. When that happens, I believe a department store might occur. I believe the Dimmy's site on the mall is the most likely site for a Department store.

However I might be wrong and Thuringowa might beat everyone with a department store at a redeveloped Willows shopping centre. I heard yesterday that major works are not that far off from happening at the Willows.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
I know what you mean KJ, but in Technical retail terms, Townsville Already has 2, and they're called Target, I know that Target is going abit Discount, but they are still classified as A major Department store chain, and not a discount department store chain like K-Mart.

God dammit, I work at for ColesMyer

·
25,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^To me Target and Big W are your middle range with K Mart your crappy stuff. Myer is the next level above Target/Big W and David Jones is the next level above that. The cut of I think between knowing your going to get quality and not being 100% sure I think is between Big W/Target and Myer.

·
6,435 Posts
History of department stores in Townsville:

David Jones @ Flinders Mall: ????-1993
David Jones @ Stockland: 1993-1997
Harris Scarfe @ Stockland: 1997-2001

The David Jones store in Flinders Mall was previously occupied by a department store called McKimmin's. It changed to DJ's sometime between 1960 & 1975. In 2001 the site was of course redeveloped into Cowboys Leagues Club.

I think Harris Scarfe closed in 2001 because that's when they went into receivership. A department store called 828 moved in for, what, a few weeks :D Then it was subdivided into Rebel Sports and a Crazy Clarks mega super store :eek:hno:

When will a department store come back? If one does it could only be Myer right? I reckon 5-10 years. Tony Mooney recently said that there would be no money for redevelopment of Flinders Mall for at least another two years. Hopefully CBD retail will pick up in those 2 years and then they'll realise what a mistake it would have been it turn it into a road. I would hate for Myer to move into Willows or Castletown in the meantime - we need it in the CBD.

·
Troppo In TSV
523 Posts
Oriolus said:
I would hate for Myer to move into Willows or Castletown in the meantime - we need it in the CBD.
I agree - I'm worried that if we loose the retail viability of the inner city, we might as well kiss the commercial side goodbye as investors follow the money into the burbs. And I know where I'd rather see our first 20+ level commercial building open in the city - and it's not in Aitkenvale...

Besides, I think Castletown is on too small a footprint (particularly when you consider parking) to have a Myer move onsite along with a Target. And gone are the days when Coles/Myer could have opted out on Target in favour of a Myer - now that Myer has been sold off.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
With the current state of the Myer business I think they have enough on their plate for the time being without opening any new stores. They have basically got a company restructure to go through along with long over due refurbishment of a couple of stores in particular the Melbourne city store which will be a job and a half. On top of that they need to get their existing stores making some money before they contemplate new ones.

But say five years down the track who knows.

·
Townsville
552 Posts
I think the Dimmies site would be great for some sort of department store. I think along with a new mall it would revitalize the inner city.

However the Townsville CBD is no longer the center of the city like it used to be. The CBD is now on the fringes of the city. I would say the urban and population center of Townsville would be around Aitkenvale. Department store investors might look at that fact, rather than helping to revitalise the city center. They don't care about anything but a return on their investment.

In saying that, investors will also look at demographics, and the type of people living in the area. Remembering department stores are normally targeted towards a higher income bracket than a Target would be. Therefore the city might win on that case. :)

·
25,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^And tourists as well...The larger hotels, the strand and castle hill are closer to the CBD

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I reacon Harris Scrafe will open up again

coz HS wants to open more stores in SA and the east coast

anyway I'm shocked Townsville doesnt have a department store

·
25,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^And so is everyone that lives there :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gertzy said:
I know what you mean KJ, but in Technical retail terms, Townsville Already has 2, and they're called Target, I know that Target is going abit Discount, but they are still classified as A major Department store chain, and not a discount department store chain like K-Mart.
What would Makro and The wharehouse be classed as? dept stores or discount stores?

·
Mooooooo
146 Posts
*talking about David Jones only*

I think there may be a DJ's in the next 10 years, but probably not 5 years.

The thing about DJ's is that it used to be one of the extremely few shops in Townsville that carried products of a very high quality. Now, there are more businesses that offer the goods David Jones used to exclusively offer.

My 2c.

Tango

·
Lacking an Akubra!
4,546 Posts
mugsy said:
What would Makro and The wharehouse be classed as? dept stores or discount stores?
Discount, like its that obvious, because its like a giant version of Crazy Clarks, but I wouldn't get too comfortable there, Cairns has the same amount of em as we do, but with the exception of one Makro.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
^^To me Target and Big W are your middle range with K Mart your crappy stuff. Myer is the next level above Target/Big W and David Jones is the next level above that. The cut of I think between knowing your going to get quality and not being 100% sure I think is between Big W/Target and Myer.

Is there a noticeable difference between a myer and a david jones? I just though they were pretty much the same. Well yes Townsville is now getting a myer at stocklands and apparently some never before seen in Australia US department store at the mall which will be renovated. So yes obviously within 5 years.

·
Cairns: clean and green
667 Posts
Do you really have to bring up a 2 year old thread for a pointless comment?
Very interesting comment. Shouldnt you be asking the same thing about the person who bought up an old thread just for a comment on Will Toowoomba over take Cairns?
You seem happy to make a comment in that thread without any fuss??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts