Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Company branded

Votes: 16 94.1%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think that Brisbane, even though, yes, in the next couple of years, we will have a massive number of skyscrapers, that there is a real lack of office space and "company" buildings? That's what i think that in 5 years or so time will put Brisbane and Melb/Sydn apart, and that is that lack of companies and therefore company skyscrapers and towers in Brissie.

I just have this love for company buildings over residential ones! Like in Sydn, they have the Citibank building, which in my opinion is one of the best looking sky scrapers in Aus! Also, that's why I think the Emirates(or whatever they call it) building is the best building in Brissie! I love at night when it lights up with the red, which gives it a great look, even though it's not the tallest tower in Brissie.

So, I want to know what you think, residential or company branded?
rirwi4

·
Queenslander
360 Posts
yes it would be good to have more signage... North Sydney is aust. capital for this, but is also probably the most dead cbd. There is even a Sharp neon ontop of a residential building!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Signage does not make a building good, by any means. The only advantage I see, is a little extra light at night time.
I reckon it does! It's just recognition! Have you seen the Emirates building! it's awesome at night! I love it! It would be such a boring building at night and even more so at night if Emirates hadn't named it! Not only that, but people can spot them out better, like the suncorp building would be one of the best known buildings in the entire CBD! Not only that, but it gives the building a sort of "prestige", like, in Sydney, the building with the BHP or other major Aus company logo on it would receive a lot more attention than if it was planer and without the logo and company name plus the lights, etc that go with it!
rirwi4

·
7,976 Posts
I can't see any sense in your argument at all. You reckon the Emirates Building looks better than Waterfront Place, Central Plaza One, Riverside Centre, Riparian Plaza, State Law Building, 111 George St and eventually Vision.....just because it has a company sign at the top?!?! That's ridiculous.

I suppose you think the ANL Building on Queen and Eagle St is a stunner as well.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
Someone told me the signs on all of the buildings in north Sydney were put up for the Olympics.
Well they are telling you a load of bullshit

Most of the sigange and neons had been there many years. I have never heard such shit.

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
yes it would be good to have more signage... North Sydney is aust. capital for this, but is also probably the most dead cbd. There is even a Sharp neon ontop of a residential building!
A year ago it was a commercial building and looked infintely better before, they ruined it. The signage was a condition of the makeover ... ie it gets renovated and stays.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Small things amuse small minds I guess. That is the only rationale behind believing company signage improves a buildings look.
Of course it does? what, your trying to tell me that a skyscraper without extra light, a logo, etc would look better with out it? i think not? Not only that, but if you view my above post, not only does it add to the actual look of the skyscraper, but also with the prestige of the actual building(well, if it is a profitable, non disgraced company that is, like one or two of the buildings in Melbourne {cough} AWB {cough}.
rirwi4

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't see any sense in your argument at all. You reckon the Emirates Building looks better than Waterfront Place, Central Plaza One, Riverside Centre, Riparian Plaza, State Law Building, 111 George St and eventually Vision.....just because it has a company sign at the top?!?! That's ridiculous.
In what way is it ridiculous?

btw,yes, i might think that the Emirates Building looks better than places like Riparian Plaza, etc, because I may not like the design of these other Skyscrapers, I'm entitled to an opinion! Not only that, but for the hight that the Emirates building is, it stands out particularly well In a skyline with a lot of larger skyscrapers with little colour at night! I think for what the design of the building is, what the logo, etc has done to it is brilliant! Could you imagine what a non existent building it would be without the logo and naming?
rirwi4

·
7,976 Posts
Could you imagine what a non existent building it would be without the logo and naming?
rirwi4
Ummm...yeah I can. It would be exactly the same and the way the architect originally intended.

By your logic, we should stick massive neon lights across the likes of the Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building, Bank of China Building....maybe the Sydney Opera House too?? That might spice it up and actually look decent hey?!

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Of course it does? what, your trying to tell me that a skyscraper without extra light, a logo, etc would look better with out it? i think not? Not only that, but if you view my above post, not only does it add to the actual look of the skyscraper, but also with the prestige of the actual building(well, if it is a profitable, non disgraced company that is, like one or two of the buildings in Melbourne {cough} AWB {cough}.
rirwi4
Nah, I don't agree with you guys either - were you to tack a neon logo onto waterfront place it would look crap and it certainly wouldn't improve the 'prestige'. I'd say it would be the same for Riverside/Riparian Plaza and certainly Vision.

Adding signage only improves borring buildings....and even then, not by much.....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ummm...yeah I can. It would be exactly the same and the way the architect originally intended.

By your logic, we should stick massive neon lights across the likes of the Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building, Bank of China Building....maybe the Sydney Opera House too?? That might spice it up and actually look decent hey?!
NO!!!! what i was SAYING! is that it spices up smaller buildings, and not even smaller buildings, but larger building to! what you are forgetting, this is NOT! residential, nor a land mark, but it is office buildings!

Though i will admit, buildings like the Bank of China Building are unique cases(and very, very good pieces of architecture as well)! It is not my "logic", that they should have logo's etc, but my "logic", is that buildings 90% of the time look better if they have a company logo, etc on them! My point is, how bout you take most of the big 4 banks buildings around the capital cities of Aus. Now, without the signage, they would hardly standout in places like Sydney, and if you give the name of the building(not the company's name, but the name of the building), and the persons knowledge of skyscrapers is limited, they will never find it! But stick on the logo and hey presto, the building is one of the most recognizable in the entire city(well at least well known, as the banks are well known, it's like brand name recognition).

and yea, the emirates building would be very nonexistent, and people would struggle to know anything about it without the logo, etc. It would basically disappear out of the city radar completely, like just another office building.
rirwi4

·
Is Slightly Opinionated.
456 Posts
Signage on residential buildings is such a 'Devine' thing to do. On commercial buildings it's not so bad, but the inner-hippy in me wonders how much electricity is spent on company signage. The new NAB sign in the city was running for a week or so and literally cast a white glow over the skyline which was quite eerie, but it hasn't been on for the last week so I'd be interested to see what happens with that...and what sort of power bill it racks up no less!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I don't think corporate logos add prestige to an address. Although brands like KPMG, Ernst & Young, etc may be a bit of an exception. Arguably (and according to AFR) the most prestigious office address in Australia is 101 Collins in Melbourne, which it might be noted, has no corporate logo, nor does it have a fancy name.

I'll agree that a building is probably more recognisable to the average person in the street if it has a sign on it, but I don't think it makes it more prestigious, and I also don't think it automatically makes it look better. NAB at Docklands is a stunner and I don't think it even has any NAB signage on it, indeed, if it did have signage on it would probably look worse IMO.

I think some people might feel that a logo makes the building appear more important, hopefully reflecting on their city and making it feel more important.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts