SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from Spain!

Have you got any picture about the best Castles?

I'll be in Scotland the first week of September will visit, Edinburgh, Glasgow Inverness ... do not drive a car. Our idea is to move by bus or train because i fly from Alicante, Valencia, Spain

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hi from Spain!

I'll be in Scotland the first week of September will visit, Edinburgh, Glasgow Inverness ... do not drive a car. Our idea is to move by bus or train because i fly from Alicante, Valencia, Spain

Thank you very much!
If you're in Edinburgh then obviously Edinburgh Castle is well worth a visit. Try to be there at 1pm for the One o' clock gun.

Glamis Castle is also worth a visit, it was ther childhood home of the Queen Mother and it's mentioned in Shakespeare's MacBeth. There are also a few legends/myths about ghosts and monsters. However, it is situated around 10 or 15 miles north of Dundee and is not really convienient for Edinburgh, Glasgow or Inverness.

·
3,828 Posts

·
Sciurius Regalis
3,684 Posts
^^^ Plus there's the Wallace Monument just around the corner. Stirling is definitely worth the trip, you could make a day of it if whilst moving between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

·
3,828 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're in Edinburgh then obviously Edinburgh Castle is well worth a visit. Try to be there at 1pm for the One o' clock gun.

Glamis Castle is also worth a visit, it was ther childhood home of the Queen Mother and it's mentioned in Shakespeare's MacBeth. There are also a few legends/myths about ghosts and monsters. However, it is situated around 10 or 15 miles north of Dundee and is not really convienient for Edinburgh, Glasgow or Inverness.

Here is a pic about this castle:

It is very mysterious in my opinion. I like the legends of ghosts.

10 or 15 miles from North of Dundee?:eek:hno:The problem is I'll take bus or train.

I see that it is important to take car to tour Scotland.:)

·
3,828 Posts
Glamis village doesnt have a station. You should be able to get the bus from Dundee, if you can, it would definately be a worthwhile visit!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Kisimul Castle is quite accessible by public transport. Mind you it's a 9-hour journey from Glasgow!

Similar magnificent setting for Castle Stalker, though not easy to reach without a car:

Just had to include it because it's a fantastically photogenic castle.

One that is pretty easy to reach from Glasgow by train is Dumbarton Castle. Not much of the original castle left, TBF, but a fantastic view and a lot of history:

·
DELETED
1,686 Posts
I'd also give Stirling castle a look, and as mentioned the Wallace monument is nearby.

Dumbarton castle, when I was there recently there was a lot of repair/restoration work going on with associated closure of certain parts so I'd give it a miss.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I like the legends of ghosts.
Slains Castle

~o0o~

'Slains Castle today is a slightly unsettling place. It comes as little surprise to discover that Bram Stoker, who stayed at the castle, used it as inspiration for his story of Dracula.'

~o0o~

~o0o~

'Avenues of limitless night seemed to radiate in every direction, till one might fancy that here lay the root of a contagion destined to sicken and swallow cities, and engulf nations in the foetor of hybrid pestilence. Here cosmic sin had entered, and festered by unhallowed rites had commenced the grinning march of death that was to rot us all to fungous abnormalities too hideous for the grave's holding. Satan here held his Babylonish court, and in the blood of stainless childhood the leprous limbs of Lilith were laved. Incubi and succubae howled praise to Hecate, and headless moon-calves bleated to the Magna Mater. Moloch and Ashtaroth were not absent; for in this quintessence of all damnation the bounds of consciousness were let down, and man's fancy lay open to every realm of horror and every forbidden dimension that evil had power to mould.' - A History Of Scotland And Its People by H. P. Lovecraft

~o0o~

Slains Castle

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi from Spain!

Thank you very much!
Definitely Edinburgh Castle in Edinburgh is best one.... Glasgow is usually known for Shopping malls and stuff you will not find any castle in Glasgow city, you need to travel to surrounding towns like Stirling Castle. I have been to Edinburgh castle... had great fun there :)

·
Falkirkboy
4 Posts
Eilean Donan castle is a great castle to visit , although you need a car or a bus to get there as it is on the west coast about 10 miles fro the Kyle of Lochalsh on the road to Skye. I have a website full of castle pictures www.castlepictures.com including Edinburgh,Stirling, Eilean Donan and loads more

·
MORI
8,646 Posts

Not been here since i was a kid, feel like going again after seeing this today.

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09bezlJoo0c

Published on 29 Apr 2013

Dramatic flyover footage of Stirling Castle. Find out more about this impressive visitor attraction & function venue at www.stirlingcastle.gov.uk. What are you waiting for, come visit!

Video uploaded with permission Copyright Flying Fern Films Ltd

1 - 19 of 19 Posts