Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hippie enclaves... discuss here. The only place I can name would be the Gulf Islands in BC, Canada, and I hear that place is becoming increasingly overrun by expensive cottages.

So, are there any places left in the world where tie dye and pachouli reign supreme?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I dont know realey ,but i saw on travel once about some country or island.But i dont heard the name of it ! :(( I am allmost a Hippie haha cuz i am with long hair :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
My guess would be various drug rehab centers and homeless shelters. There was just a show on the History Channel this week about the history of hippies. The reality was not so much the glorified hollywood image of free love and peace, but rather a pretty disgusting and horrid lifestyle of homelessness, runaways, forced prostitution, and drug addiction.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
I heard there is like a hippie village in the midwest, I think I saw it in National Geographic. They share everything and go nude during most of the day as it gets hot there in summer.

·
"Hands of Stone"
3,633 Posts
The hippies - now "baby boomers" - are alive and well and still hanging out in San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury...

·
Registered
8,363 Posts

Here are most of them.

Being a hippie was just a phase for rich kids in the 60's. They protested a lot against capitalism, oppression and consumption, but returned to daddy's company after they hit 30.

Which is why generation-based protest movements are doomed to fail, your social class is almost always more important than your generation as far as these things are concerned.

·
SixFive175
2 Posts
Hippiedom was mostly just a Boomer phase

You can follow the Baby Boomer phases like a snake eating a pig. As the eaten pig travels through the snake, the bulge moves along inside the snake towards its end, the bulge progressively getting smaller.

I'm 64 years old, which means I was born in 1947 and experienced much of this stuff first-hand.

A brief history:

Early 1960s: songs about teen hops; carrying your books after school; curfews; puppy love; surfers; etc.

Mid 1960s: "feel good" music; surfer; beginnings of protest songs as people my age started noticing they might get drafted

Late 60s: psychedelic; protest; hippies my age were 18-21, full of energy and rebellion; peak hippie years: 1969-1973

Early 70s: hippie; laid back............Note, many Boomers were not entering their mid 20s and starting to settle down. Hence the music got more mellow with singer-songwriters and a blending with Country music.

Late 70s: disco; as the Boomers were in their late 20s, they were now more independent (away from parents), graduated from college, and wanting to ***** around in the Big Cities (new found freedom).

Early 80s: Jogging. This was the result of Boomers suddenly realizing their looks were fading. Time to work out, to jog, to bring that virility/sexiness back. Corresponds to one's age now in their 30s.

Late 80s and onward: The Baby Boomers were now getting too old for trends, entering age 40 and beyond. Time for power walking (not jogging); settling down with a partner (gays); or more quality time with their kids & grandkids.

Each trend leaves a little residue behind. That's why you'll still see a few surfers, a few hippies, a few disco people, a few joggers. Subsequent generations also provided new recruits to the above. However, what remains is but a sad reminder, a sad echo of earlier glory days.

The best places to look for each type is in the places that originally hosted them. Surfers: So. Calif. beaches; Hippies: Northern Calif. (rural); Vermont; Glastonbury, UK; parts of WA State. Disco: New York City; San Francisco; Ibiza; Barcelona.

That's my take, anyway.

·
SixFive175
2 Posts
most of them are dead? :D
Actually, I've followed quite a few of them over the years, via Internet search engines and the like. Most all the ones who went to college with me are now CEO's, lawyers, tax accountants and the like. They became their parents, settling into about the income level they were.

I'm 64 years old. So a lot of them are now living in houses that are around $390 to $800K, scattered in the suburbs of Big Cities, many on either coast.

Some, though, stuck fairly true to their values. They ended up in bands, some of which are still playing. A few others went New Age.

Most, however, became their parents in every sense of the word. And, like most 64 year olds, their opinions are "Ask my wife", or "Who do you think will get in the Super Bowl?", or else how their grandkids are doing and other boring stuff.

Are most of them dead? Yes, but they don't know it yet.

G

·
New Zealand

Hippies can be found in the Coromandel, which is a peninsula just kind of across from Auckland. In Nelson at the top of the south island there are little communities of hippies scattered about. Waiheke Island - a 35 minute ferry ride from the nations largest city of Auckland. (1.5 million people). With a population of about 5000, Waiheke Island is very popular with those who want to live closer to nature.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts