SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets discuss the Metro extremities of the Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse Metros...by town, suburb, village and even highway on/off ramp.

This has been a very hotly contested "discussion" here and it would be great to see where other fellow forumers feel the metro stops and starts.

Buffalo Metropolitan area
-All of Erie County
-All of Niagara County
-Western Genesee County
-South Western Orleans County
-North Western Wyoming County
* plus ties to Jamestown, olean and salamanca areas
** CANADA ties to Fort Erie, St. Catherines, Niagara Falls, Welland

Intelligent Metro estimate - 1,682,000

I wanna see an intelligent example of Syracuse and Rochester now...please

·
Registered
309 Posts
Syracuse Metropolitan area
-All of Onondaga County
-Northern Cayuga County
-Western Oneida County
-Southern Oswego County
-northern towns of Cortland County
-Most of Madison County

Intelligent Metro estimate - 737,000

Not included in the total:
* plus ties to Ithaca, Cortland, (both in our TV Market) Watertown (some Fort Drum people live in Onondaga County)

I made a map showing what I think make up each metro

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
If people are really commuting those kinds of distances to Syracuse and Rochester then they must rank as some of the most sprawly metros in the country. I really think these boarders are stretching it a bit. A good bet is that many people on the fringes shown in the color map by Cicero have never set foot in Roch or Syr maybe not even in the inner ring burbs.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steel, I have to agree to a point. When I consider what I think are the extemities of the metros, I would have to say that the communities, like Lockport, Canadaigua or Auburn would have to have a definite tie to a larger city, a very signifigant tie as well as a consistent histoically shared past (canals, rails, rivers ect...)

If we wanted to look at where the Metropolitan area trickles out, then we can scale these boundries back quite a bit, I dont think Buffalo, Rochester sprawl as much as these maps show, that would be a good map.

an urban density map, or perhaps a population map by township would best reflect the actual boundries of a metro...at some point there are still rural areas in WNY and Central NY (I promise you)

In all reality Rochester does not leave Monroe county, and Erie county is quite rural in the south east corner, although southwestern Niagara county is quite built up.

hmmmm.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
here is a more realistic map. and even with this I am being very generous with all three of these. I showed some Buffalo influence on the Canadian side but did not include St Catherines or Welland.

·
Registered
841 Posts
^I can't speak so much for Rochester or Syracuse but that's pretty dead on for Buffalo. Gotta take into consideration the people right across the border.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
none of oneida county is in syracuse's realm. i would say canastota is more or less the eastern edge of syracuse's metro.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
BuffCity said:
this is right on...Im liking this map more, but I hanestly think southern Erie county, away from lake erie could be considered "rural"...thats my opinion though.
If we are talking only urban non rural areas then all of these metros would be cut to vastly smaller sizes and none of them would fill the counties that they are in. Buffalo would however still stretch into Niagara County. Census figures do include rural areas in the pop count though because they only use county boundaries

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
besides Batavia and the Thruway, everything between Buffalo and Rochester (60-65 miles apart) is quite rural, and not really connecting. Batavia has been growing but not to the point where it will be a continuous urban adventure from the Genesee River to Lake Erie.

if they make the area a CSA, that will go only to show how god damned stupid they really are at the census bureau.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts