Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in what the opinion is, throughout the country, of Boston. I've lived in many cities, on both coasts and I have to say if one city seems to march to its own beat it's Boston. When Boston is mentioned what do you all think of in terms of its placement in importance to urban America, its architecture, its politics, its "cool" factor, etc...

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Boston is known for cold weather, liberal politics, charming-but-not-significant architecture, and its thought to be pretty cool as the "american athens". It's also considered to be a place of history. In terms of its urbanity, charm, and niche, its also known as an east coast San Francisco, except with colder weather and more rigid people.

It also has one of the most famous urban accents. I don't think that either New York or Chicago have accents that are that easily identifiable. (For example, someone might confuse a New Jersey accent for a New York one, or a Chicago accent for a New York one. But that never seems to happen with Boston.)

And drunk Irishmen.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I love Boston, except for the name: Boston. I would prefer a name like "Tummysticks" or something equally funny. Maybe Cameltoe City or Beaversweatburg.

·
5,837 Posts
Centeroftheuniverse, you described Boston perfectly.
I love boston and i have so much fun everytime i go there. Red Sox- Yankee games @ Fenway are probably one of the most vibrant places you can be at in the summer. I have always envied the BackBay. Beacon hill. You need to build that 800 footer though.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
“The Hub of the Solar System” has come a long way up in recent decades. During the first half of the 20th century, Boston stagnated. During the 1950s, Boston declined at a faster rate than any US city. While Boston began a significant physical renewal during the 1960s, the city’s population decline continued thru the 1970s.

During the 1980s & 90s, Boston’s regrown. Biggest problem that Boston faces today is that gentrification & soaring housing prices have made many neighborhoods unaffordable for all but the rich. So that’s put brakes on the regrowth.

True, Boston remains among the most “Irish” of major US cities. But it’s long boasted significant Jewish, Italian, French Canadian, Portuguese, Greek, Armenian and other ethnic communities. Not to forget the Yankee Boston Brahmins. And Boston’s much more racially diverse than it used to be. Blacks, Latinos, Asians & other minorities, many new immigrants, have become the majority of Boston’s city population. Many of Boston’s suburbs too now have large minority populations. A couple now even have majorities of minorities.

As for that traditional thick Bostonian accent, it’s still predominant in some of the more insular neighborhoods & suburbs. But with all the college students, newcomers from other cities, and recent immigrants, that accent is no longer ubiquitous.

Boston used to be a rather socially conservative & stodgy city even though it voted solidly Democratic. The demographic shift has helped to make Boston more socially & culturally liberal. Boston’s often compared with San Francisco. But by comparison, Boston is still quite a bit more tradition minded.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bayviews said:
“The Hub of the Solar System” has come a long way up in recent decades. During the first half of the 20th century, Boston stagnated. During the 1950s, Boston declined at a faster rate than any US city. While Boston began a significant physical renewal during the 1960s, the city’s population decline continued thru the 1970s.

During the 1980s & 90s, Boston’s regrown. Biggest problem that Boston faces today is that gentrification & soaring housing prices have made many neighborhoods unaffordable for all but the rich. So that’s put brakes on the regrowth.

True, Boston remains among the most “Irish” of major US cities. But it’s long boasted significant Jewish, Italian, French Canadian, Portuguese, Greek, Armenian and other ethnic communities. Not to forget the Yankee Boston Brahmins. And Boston’s much more racially diverse than it used to be. Blacks, Latinos, Asians & other minorities, many new immigrants, have become the majority of Boston’s city population. Many of Boston’s suburbs too now have large minority populations. A couple now even have majorities of minorities.

As for that traditional thick Bostonian accent, it’s still predominant in some of the more insular neighborhoods & suburbs. But with all the college students, newcomers from other cities, and recent immigrants, that accent is no longer ubiquitous.

Boston used to be a rather socially conservative & stodgy city even though it voted solidly Democratic. The demographic shift has helped to make Boston more socially & culturally liberal. Boston’s often compared with San Francisco. But by comparison, Boston is still quite a bit more tradition minded.
This is an interesting explanation of Boston. I have lived in New York, LosAngeles, San Francisco, Seattle and now Boston. I have to say that this is one of the most complicated cities I have been in. The rich history/tradition combined with a social and architectural renaissance makes for a very interesting place. It's really like no other city in the country.

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
boston, hmmm, when I think of boston it goes something like this..

dense, clean, youth, american revolution, green, yellow, intelligent, irish, beer, red sox, and im gonna get flak for this one......racism. ive read, experienced more racism in boston than anywhere else.

this comment is not intended to be an insult, just an opinion of mine.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spooky873 said:
.....racism. ive read, experienced more racism in boston than anywhere else.

this comment is not intended to be an insult, just an opinion of mine.
Are you saying you personally have experienced more racism in Boston? If so, please explain.

Boston gets a lot of shit for its bussing fiasco. There were, no question, some terrible racist times at that point. However, the exact same things were going on in other cities such as New York, Philly and Chicago. The media attention was mainly on Boston because of some photographers who happened to get sonme incredible, now famous, shots.

What is really unfortunate about that situation is that bussing was meant to hel the divide not make it worse. IT BACKFIRED.

In any case, I think Boston has done a lot to try and rid itself from that unfortunate reputation.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
i've only been there once. It seems very old fasioned, sophisticated, maybe even stuck up. that's what I like about it, they don't take no bullshit in Boston.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Very historical, great place in the Autumn.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts