SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Kebab Licker
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's play pretend. Say Birmingham was getting a 200m tower. Where would you want it? Where would such a beast look least out of place, and contribute most tothe city? What sort of tower would you ideally want, if it was to be a pinnacle for at least a few years. A slender bab, or a phat slab?

Discust.

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
Well, I would say it belongs either right next to the Bullring, the final corner of Holloway Circus, Lancaster Circus, Arena Central, replace on of the buildings in the CBD near Snow Hill or around MG/CPG.

Plenty to choose from :)

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Three please.

One at Paradise Circus where the Kettle Building is, one on the site of Lloyd House and another one to replace the Broadway building (The one with Tesco and the irritatiing blue flood lighting) at 5Ways

All three elegant and of outstanding quality please

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
1. Lancaster Circus
2. Bristol St - 3 or 4 down here would be nice
3. Bishopsgate St, nr Broad St

·
15,712 Posts
1) Lancaster flyover
2) Fiveways (either tesco site of the one between PC and fiveways shopping centre)
3) Paradise Circus
4) Extension of the city in the eastside
5) Extension to the city south

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
When AC is finally built, another huge tower on Suffolk Street Queensway would really give Birmingham a superb cluster of tall buildings.

·
15,712 Posts
defo.......we would only need one tower above 100m at pradise...and then another around the 100m.........and thats alpha tower, hyatt, AC, 2 at paradise...and mabe another thrown in for measure....a great cluster!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
With the construction of BST, which hopefully should be around the 130 metre mark, and the towers on Suffolk Street, including AC Tower & Alpha Tower, plus the Hyatt & Orion will give Birmingham a '3-dimensional' cluster, and not all disappear behind each other from certain angles, these new structures will look good together from many vantage points.

·
Second Citizen
16,937 Posts
I don't want a huge one at Paradise as I think it would be overbearing on the historic buildings near it. I guess I don' mind one where the GOWM (red window, white roof) building is. I would generally prefer Brindley Place type buildings here, and a nice new square please :)

The Suffolk cluster will look good - there will be a tranche of talls starting with the new Edgbaston Shopping Centre off to the west, moving east taking in Auchinleck, BST, Cumberland House, Glenn Howell's Brindley Place, Jury's Inn, Quayside, Hyatt, Alpha, Arena Central and Paradise, then turning south to include Orion, New St 1, New St 2, HCT and the 2 Sentinels, with maybe, just maybe, Spiral Tower and Opal Court finishing it off :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Given what Gothic mentioned in the P&C thread

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=350570

on which city will have the tallest building outside London ('given what I know, and you don't, Birmingham') and his mention that this does not refer to AC, where do we actually think this would be.

I notice lots of people in this thread mention Lancaster Circus - didnt someone mention a while back, in a nose-tapping mark-my-words way, that something is indeed planned for there?

Could this be it?

·
15,712 Posts
there is indeed something planned for this area, esp with the council selling their offices there for development...... and also that lancaster circus is designated appropriote for a tower in "high places"...... however, if there are people in the know of anything more, i would be supprised if they are able to say anything!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I thought and indeed wrote in response to Gothic suggesting Lancaster Circus, however an article in the Evening Mail suggested the council have re-configured 1 Lancaster Circus to accomodate an extra 400 people, so maybe we're off the mark ?

That said there's plenty of other room around there for development.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts