SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5,987 Posts
I am not sure, I would say none of them as well.

The "engrish" stereotype must exist for a reason.

However, I have NEVER been to both cities, so you should ask someone who has been there. ;)

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,367 Posts
I have been to both cities and I can say:
Better in Tokyo!
:yes:

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
TOKYO!!!!! Definately. Hong Kong would be the best out of all three. I am not sure if they encourage English extremely in Shanghai.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Ive been to both and spoken english primarily in both
In toyko most people would understand simple english and some younger generation are quite fluent, and in most shops in urban areas there is always at least one english speaking sales and i think generally japanese people have quite a good understanding of people even if they dun speak the language. In Shanghai, it very much depends on which areas ur in, if ur in the business or shopping district there wont be much problem and if they dun speak it, they tend to find someone who can to help ( which sometimes turns out even worse!)

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Why does it matter how well a location speaks a foreign language?

Some of the nicest people I've met on vacation ( or job ) has been people with a 3 english word vocabulary...

Anyway I've only been to Tokyo of the two, and while English isn't spoken that much, they do understand it, and there's signs and maps in English, plus and English speaking voice on trains and in the subways, so you won't have any problems there...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts