SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the statue now..I couldnt find it when I was in Lisbon?

I also have got some pics of Macau between 1890 to 1910...the whole Macau just looked like a small european town...I will post them up later on..

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
What is the Ferreira do Amaral that you are searching?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The statue used to be located outside Lisboa hotel..it got shipped back to Lisbon in about 1993 (around that time)..the main reason it got shipped back was because this statue used to represent the Portuguese Colonial Power which dominated Macau...n it wasnt a favor to the Chinese government..(the Bank of China was just next to it)..so the Chinese Government requested to get rid of that statue .......I just wanted to know where it is now in Lisbon..or they have dumped it...???

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
Ahhh I wasn't remembering that polemic statue. It returned to Portugal and its placed on Jardim da Encarnação. It was a deal between Portugal and China. Ferreira do Amaral was Macau Governor when he was murdered in 1845.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you talk a bit more about Jardim da Encarnação..what is it..and where is it?..It's in Lisbon ..correct ?? any websites about this issue?? Thanks~~

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
Jardim da Encarnação is a Lisbon Park like Jardim de Camões at Macau. The Park hasn't a website and Ferreira do Amaral statue is the highlight. What do you wanna know more my friend?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats all cool..thanks mate..n I must go visit this park again next time when Im Lisbon, coz none of my friends in Lisbon knew about where it was when I was in Lisbon a few months ago..its just something if i can see the same monument again in the west during my lifetime :D

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
iTS OK MATE. It's a shame that the statue had to return to Lisbon but I understand Chinese Government choose. Ferreira do Amaral wasn't a symbol of Portuguese&Chinese good relationship.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Portugues, do you know why the Chinese hate Ferreira do Amaral? That was because he extended the Portuguese Colonialism in Macau and made the Chinese people in anger! :rant:

Ferreira do Amaral abolish the Chinese customs house and extended the territory North to Mong Ha (The Portuguese used to rent the southern part of the Macau Peninsula from 1557 to 1848.) until the Barrier Gate (Portas do Cerco) in 1848! :rant: That made the Chinese people there in a huge anger and they killed Ferreira do Amaral, where he was riding a horse by the following year. You could see a Portuguese Royal Arc was made on a stone in the Lin Fong Temple. :|

Some history of Macau can be found in the Wikipedia. :|

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
I have to agree with you Ferreira do Amaral wasn't a fair leader. The first Portuguese Governor of Macau was appointed to Macau in 1680 and Ferreira do Amaral was the single Governor in the all history to try to abolish the Chinese customs.

I guess you are very unhappy with that death guy my friend. It's past and he'll never return

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Well, Portugues, there're two Portuguese people that angered the Macau Chinese. :|
One was Joan Ferreira do Amaral that this thread mentioned. The other one was Jose Manuel de Sousa, as he led the December 3rd Riot in 1966! :rant: The reason led this riot? He didn't approve to build a primary school on Taipa! :eek2:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey,.hkth or anyone,, can you tell me why the Portuguese had to give up all its colonies..including Macau? ..I sort of know that it happened due to its Republic policy or sum sort...n there was a riot in Portugal...n thats all what I know..

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
Portugal had a 450 years deal with China. The deal ended and Macau returned to Mother China. When all Europe was leaving their African colonies, it wouldn't make sense to Portugal to keep them. :)

Hey hkth, José Manuel de Sousa was a ridiculous stubborn persson but he didn't angered the Macau Chinese people so much.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Jus said:
hey,.hkth or anyone,, can you tell me why the Portuguese had to give up all its colonies..including Macau? ..I sort of know that it happened due to its Republic policy or sum sort...n there was a riot in Portugal...n thats all what I know..
That was because of the Carnation Revolution in 1974. The new Gov't since then decleared to give up all its colonies overseas. :|

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Portugues said:
Hey hkth, José Manuel de Sousa was a ridiculous stubborn person but he didn't angered the Macau Chinese people so much.
Well, Portugues, didn't allow to build a primary school itself SEEMS wasn't a big deal at all. But José Manuel de Sousa suppressed those Taipa residents violently and that caused the anger! Don't forget China at that time was in Cultural Revolution! Those Macau Chinese were also influenced of that! :eek2:

·
Banned
2,618 Posts
hkth said:
That was because of the Carnation Revolution in 1974. The new Gov't since then decleared to give up all its colonies overseas. :|
A Revolução dos Cravos (Carnation Revolution) was a pretty good excuse to leave Africa and old colonies. Macau wasn't a colony anymore.

hkth said:
Well, Portugues, didn't allow to build a primary school itself SEEMS wasn't a big deal at all. But José Manuel de Sousa suppressed those Taipa residents violently and that caused the anger! Don't forget China at that time was in Cultural Revolution! Those Macau Chinese were also influenced of that!
It wasn't a pretty chapter of Macau history. At the time José Manuel de Sousa received orders from Lisbon to not do that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Portugues said:
Jardim da Encarnação is a Lisbon Park like Jardim de Camões at Macau. The Park hasn't a website and Ferreira do Amaral statue is the highlight. What do you wanna know more my friend?
do you have any picture of the park??

·
Future after Past
1,515 Posts
here is a pic of the statue at the new location in lisbon:

its at the top of alameda da encarnação

1 - 18 of 18 Posts