SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much talk has been tossed around about the revitalization (some call it gentrification) of the south side. In your opinion, what neighborhood in five years will be the next "place to be" for the "trendy" crowd? Will it truly be on the south side?

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's going to be the Southside for sure. Maybe around Pilsen/Medical Village. Maybe even around US Cellular. Yuppies took over Wicker Park, so that's ruined.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Southside, south and west of Bridgeport, and Westside passed the United Center.

·
Registered
717 Posts
McDude said:
It's going to be the Southside for sure. Maybe around Pilsen/Medical Village. Maybe even around US Cellular. Yuppies took over Wicker Park, so that's ruined.
So the question that actually being asked here is "where is the next neighborhood to be ruined"? Can't the young, upwardly mobile population be credited for voting with their feet and dollars, and if not them, who then would be revitalizing neighborhoods?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frumie said:
So the question that actually being asked here is "where is the next neighborhood to be ruined"? Can't the young, upwardly mobile population be credited for voting with their feet and dollars, and if not them, who then would be revitalizing neighborhoods?
Well that is not my question. I honestly would like the know will the Northside have a rival soon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Frumie said:
I'm not sure I follow. Wicker Park wasn't on peoples minds to become the next Lincoln Park, but somehow it did. Pushing students, the artsy types, and urbans out of the neighborhood because they can't afford it now. Ushering a wave of conservatives and yuppies.

Maybe my idea of "trendy" is different than yours.

·
Registered
717 Posts
McDude said:
I'm not sure I follow. Wicker Park wasn't on peoples minds to become the next Lincoln Park, but somehow it did. Pushing students, the artsy types, and urbans out of the neighborhood because they can't afford it now. Ushering a wave of conservatives and yuppies.

Maybe my idea of "trendy" is different than yours.
Granted students, artsy types, and urbans can graciously be called a neighborhood's "pioneers," but they are famously a city's transients. They create an ambience attractive to that second generation population who make the serious investment in the neighborhood. The final phase, hopefully, will include the raising of their families and involvement in the neighborhood schools. So goes the cycle. :)

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
kuyabri said:
Much talk has been tossed around about the revitalization (some call it gentrification) of the south side. In your opinion, what neighborhood in five years will be the next "place to be" for the "trendy" crowd? Will it truly be on the south side?
i think you might need to re think your question if the def. of gentrification (revitalization) is not the same as "trendy" according to you.
in my opinion gentrified is essentialy the ingedient that influences gentrification and that gentrification generaly means that its trendy. therfor trendy=gentrification.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'll go with Brighton Park. Not sure why, just a feeling.

·
Registered
838 Posts
LA1 said:
There are so many. You really cant say only one.
Yeah, there are tons of possibilities. Sure, they won't all materialize, but there are lots of south side neighborhoods that could be possibley gentrified at this point.

·
Registered
395 Posts
shivtim said:
Once I saw someone fraying their jeans with their credit card in Wicker Park. So tragically yuppie/hip.
As a resident of Ukrainian Village (just to the south of Wicker Park), that about sums up a lot of the younger sorts that live here.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Not knowing the rules of "trendiness", I was wondering if "the next hot neighborhood in Chicago" will always have to be in Chicago. Will we reach a point in our area's development and urbanization that city limits loses is meaning and places like Evanston and Oak Park can become "trendy" in a Lincoln Park sort of way. Is it possible.....or do Howard Street and Austin Blvd. have more power than I thought?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I never thought of that. For the near future, and probably for the long haul, I would think this wouldn't be the case, but you never know. I just don't see how a suburb can be "trendy".

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
wickedestcity said:
i think you might need to re think your question if the def. of gentrification (revitalization) is not the same as "trendy" according to you.
in my opinion gentrified is essentialy the ingedient that influences gentrification and that gentrification generaly means that its trendy. therfor trendy=gentrification.
according to my def. of trendy that it is one and the same as gentrification then i would say the following are to become trendy very soon(some of them may be well on their way already though):

Edgwater
East RogersPark
West Garfeild Park
West Humbolt Park
West Lawndale
Oakland
Woodlawn
Logan Square
North Center
bridgeport

·
Registered
478 Posts
Man, I hope it happens on the South Side. I am SO sick of ignorant people saying that they are scared to go south of Roosevelt because they think they are going to get shot. I wish I was kidding but there really are people this dumb out there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
wickedestcity said:
according to my def. of trendy that it is one and the same as gentrification then i would say the following are to become trendy very soon(some of them may be well on their way already though):

Edgwater
East RogersPark
West Garfeild Park
West Humbolt Park
West Lawndale
Oakland
Woodlawn
Logan Square
North Center
bridgeport
Working as a Police Officer in the Humboldt Park area. I would say it has a LONG way to go. And the people living in that area that have bought those new fancy condos, just don't realize what goes on there. When you have blueflashing lights on street lamps, that's usually NOT a good sign.

Logan Square is defiently becoming a nice area.

Woodlawn, West Lawndale, West Garfield Park? No. East Garfield Park, yes.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts