SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many times, when we think of a ghetto, we stereotypically think of a place where it is filled with Afro-Am. and it is supposed to be runned-down and "dirty". Many of us even come to the conclusion that a ghetto isn't a ghetto without the African Americans. ( I make myself clear: I don't think that's true. I am not racist) When I say: Where is the real ghetto in Chicago, I don't mean where is the most consentration of Afro-Am; I really mean where is the ghetto. Despite the misusage of the word ghetto, i will traditionally ask this question.

In Des Moines, Its on the East Side (across from 14th street; an ave. that runs north-south in Des Moines.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Taylor Homes (South Side)

Cabrini Green (West Side)

Henry Horner Homes (West Side)

These are the major projects or 'ghettos' in chicago.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Oh great, another negative conversation about Chicago.

That list of housing projects pretty much sums it up, although I would consider Cabrini Green to be on the Near North Side instead of the West Side.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Why is the quality of our visitors from Cleveland so much higher than the quality of our visitors from Des Moines? And is there any need to close this forum off from those west of the Mississippi?

If Skyscraper Freak were invited to somebody's house for dinner, do you think he'd ask:

• Why is this food so cheap? Are you people poor and can't afford more? Are you really a minority person? You don't look like a minority person. Not that I'm prejudice. I mean, I'm white, but I'm not prejudice. I don't mind you being a minority, but I would have preferred to be warned about this ahead of time. We have minorities in Iowa, too. In fact, Dubuque is filled with Catholics. Is this house in a ghetto? Why didn't you tell me before you invited me over that this house was in a ghetto?

• Why is everything so cheap looking in this house? It seems so substandard. In Des Moines, we have substandard, but it is over on the other side of town, so we don't see it that much? Your neighbors homes look run down, too. Is this a slum?

·
Registered
469 Posts
^ Probably because of the disparity in quality between Cleveland and Des Moines to begin with. If you're from Des Moines, you probably wouldn't recognize urban quality if it were sticking out of your ass.

·
Look closer...
1,137 Posts
I swear to God this kid should have realized that talking about "where's the worst ghetto" and "why is this city so shitty" just leads nowhere. Then he goes out of his way to swear up and down that he's not making any judgements based on race. Come on, we all know what this kid's really thinking.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Actually, the literal meaning of ghetto has everything to do with race and ethnicity and nothing to do with income. It began as a word to describe Jewish enclaves in Italy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are funny. You get so pissed just for a person like me asking a dumb question that can be answered in a polite way. Ive seen worst posts than this and I don't see imature people like you bashing on the poster. So what if i live in Des Moines. That does'nt make me an ignorant person. I was born in the city (not des Moines) If you want to think im racist or anything, go ahead think that. I will continue to ask as many questions as i want and am not going to let you intimidate me.

Corn is Good

·
C.B.P.
1,188 Posts
Milwaukee, Wis. j/k :banana: :runaway:

Just trying to lighten the mood.

·
Registered
404 Posts
SMH @ this white suburban fool who's obviously never been anywhere near the South Side. Man, y'all think just because 50 Cent says he's from the hood you wanna be from there too. I live near Compton (2 blocks away), and go to church in South LA. The ghetto is no joke, it's a really terrible how things still are there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not a white boy. Im part of a minority. Me living in DSM don't make me a white subburban dude. I know the ghetto. I lived there once. Im not WHITE.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
oshkeoto said:
Actually, the literal meaning of ghetto has everything to do with race and ethnicity and nothing to do with income. It began as a word to describe Jewish enclaves in Italy.
So the answer to his question actually is Highland Park?

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Skycraper Freak said:
You guys are funny. You get so pissed just for a person like me asking a dumb question that can be answered in a polite way. Ive seen worst posts than this and I don't see imature people like you bashing on the poster. So what if i live in Des Moines. That does'nt make me an ignorant person. I was born in the city (not des Moines) If you want to think im racist or anything, go ahead think that. I will continue to ask as many questions as i want and am not going to let you intimidate me.

Corn is Good

Corn is Good Not when turned into ethynol and repeatedly inhaled. you may want to consider that before positng again.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Skycraper Freak said:
I am not a white boy. Im part of a minority. Me living in DSM don't make me a white subburban dude. I know the ghetto. I lived there once. Im not WHITE.
Okay then, what "minority" are you a part of? White=any person of European descent pretty much.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts