Skyscraper City Forum banner

Where? WHERE!?

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have never been outside the country on vacation, aside from a cruise ship docking in Mexico and Grand Cayman Island. Oh, yeah....I was in Canada..but I dont really consider that "out of the country." :)

I have added some of my destinations that I would like to go to---those who have travel experience, could you tell me which would be the best for a newbie. I plan on travelling cheap by the way.

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
Personly I love Japan.. but that's not excactly cheap, so I recon central/southern Europe trip might be better...

Must see European nations for an American, is IMO these:
#1 Southern France
#2 Switzerland
#3 Northern Italy

Other than those Germany and the UK is ofcause olso great places... and ofcause Scandinavia ( however you will get more bang for your bucks in Southern Europe )

Travelling by train might be a good idea as the gas price is outragous by American standards, plus people downthere drive like ADD menopause striken women ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think you should go to either London, Paris, or Rome. Most people who travel to Europe tend to see these places first, and they do seem quite beautiful also. Then again, if you want to be a non-conformist, you could always go to Germany, Brazil or Australia. ;) (A bit expensive to come here however).

Personally, I would love to go to Rio De Janeiro! I think that would be an awesome place to travel to, coupled with the Carnival! But then again, it's Winter in the Southern Hemisphere, so I suppose if you're looking for better climates, Europe is for you.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Presuming you've been to nice beaches in the US, I'd take a tour of Europe. It's much easier than going to one place as places are relatively close. You definitely need to visit London, Paris and Rome and you should try to see Prague, Amsterdam, Berlin and Barcelona. Whatever you do, please don't go in for the American "do Europe" thing where you "see London" in a day or two. Properly see a city, spend at least 3-4 days in each rather than try to cram in as much as possible. If you can only see one city in that time, it'll have to be one.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Depends on what you want to do on your holiday. If its a lazing about beach holiday go to spain and the balearic islands in the med, if a mix of cities / sighseeing and visiting the countryside is on the cards, get an inter-rail pass and travel round europe on the trains.
Japanis immense and well worth a visit but expensive. It was my favourite holiday. The people were dead friendly. I was at a train station in one town waiting for the shinkansen and it was well hot, and some chap came over and bought me and my family all a drink. And that kind of hospitality was not unusual. Our first Ryoken we went to, (think Bed and breakfast style place) left the front door open for us and our room key in an envelope even though they had gone out shopping, trusting us in their place. So if you can afford it Japan is ace. Otherwise get yourself an inter rail pass and visit europe.

·
¡Viva el metro!
DavoR
38,385 Posts
Come to BCN!
:wink2:

·
South East Nine
39,895 Posts
Come to London :wink2:

If you visit on 27th and 28th August, you'll be in time for the Notting Hill Carnival (either Europe's biggest or 2nd biggest carnival after Zurich)

I guess the city wouldn't be bad as a 1st trip as there's no language barrier, and if you avoid the tourist traps, you can get lots done very cheaply (museums & art galleries free etc.)

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
Please, come to Germany ! :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
go to a place that's a contrast from where you are now, japan/continental europe sound nice

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Perhaps you should be more specific ReddAlert to the sort of holiday you're looking for, also mentioning details like time allocated?

·
Banned
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks guys!

^Portugal has been the most recomended. An upside of going there I hear is that its less expensive to stay in than in London or Paris. Plus, I want to visit Lisbon probally more than any city.

London might on the top spot due to language barrier though. Plus, I have always wanted to visit the Tower of London and various other castles.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts