SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Senior Button Pusher
18,110 Posts
My vote goes to the block due south of the county center... It may seem "on the edge" now, but in 20 years, that will basically be the center of the DT skyline. Plus, the views from the Crosstown would be jawdropping.

As far as hieght, it won't ever happen, but I would like to see something around 850-900ft be the tallest. (this assumes that there are some others around 700ft) Tampa needs to keep its "peaked" look, and not turn into a shit-ass tabletop skyline.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Jasonhouse said:
Tampa needs to keep its "peaked" look, and not turn into a shit-ass tabletop skyline.
agreed - I love how at most angles there is a focal point of the skyscrapers. It makes for some really great views. I say somewhere in between downtown and Channelside. Hopefully in one of those terrible surface parking lots around the Suntrust building. That would be ideal in my opinion...

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Assuming you mean the entire downtown peninsula not the CBD, I will agree. I don't really care if it is Channelside or North Franklin or particular lot, as long as it is good.

·
11,686 Posts
smiley said:
Assuming you mean the entire downtown peninsula not the CBD, I will agree. I don't really care if it is Channelside or North Franklin or particular lot, as long as it is good.
Actually i would love to see our tallest in Channelside. The current skyline has really no chance of becoming un-tabletop in the near future. But Channelside is being built from scratch and itd have a great non-tabletop skyline if it had Tampa's tallest. Thats why I'm such a huge fan of the Telecognvergence Center Tower becaue itd destroy the tabletop in Channelside and be dominant. It'd turn into a skyline of 30 story towers with one 550 footer, and look extremely classy. Or atleast as classy as you could look with some of the beach styled towers.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I am not so concerned with table tops or what have you, as long as the buildings are well designed. In any event, I don't think we are going to have a row of 570-600 going all the way across (even if the put the FAA height limits) There will be variation - and if it were a few square miles of 570-600 foot buildings with residences and offices and hotels and street activity - would you really complain?

·
Florida
1,302 Posts
Whenever the tallest tower gets built, I would like to see it put on the eastern edge on DT Tampa, near the Crosstown Expressway. The view as you head west from Brandon would be unbelievable. Something in the 800 ft range would be nice.

·
Two-bit Hack
341 Posts
Frankly, I think it would help the city's gaptoothed skyline from several angles if they demolished the parking garage between Barnett and AmSouth and replaced it with even more parking and tower on top, taller than either of the other two by at least ten floors. I don't believe that would overdo any height restrictions for that area and that gap in the skyline just makes me all itchy. Of course this will never happen.

·
Senior Button Pusher
18,110 Posts
smiley said:
and if it were a few square miles of 570-600 foot buildings with residences and offices and hotels and street activity - would you really complain?
Actually, yes I would.

thehappysmith said:
Frankly, I think it would help the city's bucktoothed skyline from several angles if they demolished the parking garage between Barnett and AmSouth and replaced it with even more parking and tower on top, taller than either of the other two by at least ten floors. I don't believe that would overdo any height restrictions for that area and that gap in the skyline just makes me all itchy. Of course this will never happen.
No, that won't happen, because that garage provides the parking for the very large (in terms of leaseable area) Nationsbank Plaza, which has no integrated parking.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It is about Tampa finally getting away from the "table-top" look. I feel that every city (metropolitan) should have an icon for height status, ours happens to be obviously, 100 N Tampa.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Assuming at least some of the proposed +/- 30 story condos get built in N Franklin, and TTT and or Museum Tower gets built, I think Tampa's tallest ( 700+ footer) would look best somewhere roughly between the old county courthouse and the Ft Brooke parking garage. From the east or west it would be nicely in the center, and from Bayshore or I-275 it would break the tabletop effect. And of course Tampa has to have a few more talls to even have a table top effect, and I'd be happy to have that if Tampa can get some of the proposed projects U/C. Plus, if/ when something tall is built around the former Crescent Heights and O2 sites, the Selmon would slice nicely between the towers through the canyon with awesome views of it all.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You know I think that would be cool. When I was in Boston, I went down Commerce Blvd. and the scrapers were all lined on the road and I thought it looked really sweet. I think it really gives you a sence of city.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.