SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any websites that give info on wheres hot or not to live in Manchester? Preferably with residents reviews :)
I've been trawling google for hours trying to find it and this time google is not my friend
Seems like for everything else out there, cars, hifi's, ipods there are websites dedicated to peoples reviews. But not places to live :bash:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd like some similar information.

I have lived in the city centre for 4 yrs but looking to get something larger and a small backgarden. I wish Manchester had more town houses rather than apartments.

I do not have enough money to afford either Chorlton or Didsbury. What other areas should I consider?

·
Registered
628 Posts
TBH, you'll need at least £150,000 even for a small three bed semi in areas like Didsbury, Prestwich, Chorlton, Worsley, Cheadle Hulme et al.

A mate of mine was about to get a three best semi in Chortlon three years ago for £47,000, changed his mind in the last minute. He's still gutted, that he passed on it.

Oh well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ManchesterISwonderful said:
TBH, you'll need at least £150,000 even for a small three bed semi in areas like Didsbury, Prestwich, Chorlton, Worsley, Cheadle Hulme et al.

A mate of mine was about to get a three best semi in Chortlon three years ago for £47,000, changed his mind in the last minute. He's still gutted, that he passed on it.

Oh well.
£150k for a semi in Didsbury sounds a bit cheap!

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Your best bet for houses are one of the satellite towns, and then commuting into the city centre. If you go to one of the suburbs along the main routes in to the city, you should be able to get there in about 10-15 minutes drive. Westhoughton is a good one. Its a sprawling suburb on the M61.

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
You will not get anything in Didsbury for 150k (except a one bed flat).
I live in Withington in a two bed terrace and its worth 180k.
Add 50 to 70k on top of that for the more desirable areas.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
abloke said:
I'd like some similar information.

I have lived in the city centre for 4 yrs but looking to get something larger and a small backgarden. I wish Manchester had more town houses rather than apartments.

I do not have enough money to afford either Chorlton or Didsbury. What other areas should I consider?
Why not buy one of the Chimney Pot park houses. If there are any left that is.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'd never heard of Westhoughton before, which is bizarre, but it looks nice.

I prefer somewhere a bit closer to the centre myself. Currently in Urmston but looking to move soon, preferably to Chorlton, but it looks like I'll have to get mortgaged up to the hilt to do so. : (

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
South Manchester areas like Didsbury and Chorlton,,are well over priced now ,,i'd consider areas like Whalley Range , Withington , Sale , Ladybarn.

Then in North Manchester i'll go for Prestwich (bit pricey in parts ) , Crumsall as some lovely houses, Broughton.

East Manchester , well this is concidered the poorer side of the city , but as an "Eastender" myself, i honestly think this is where you will make your big profit in the future,(wink wink i have )

·
Registered
36 Posts
ManchesterISwonderful said:
I did say at least. Just saying you'd need at least that much for a half dcent area. That said, one (3.bed)going for 45K on Victoria Avenue, M20. ;)

In the last series of cold feet doesnt the Irish guy and the posh girl go to an estate agent and ask them what semis they have available in Didsbury for £150k and the agent just laughs at them. That was a few years ago now too! :)

It is shit though if you are looking to buy somewhere to live on your own now theres not alot you can afford in a nice place. My mates seem to be going for the "nicer" parts of Salford - Pendelbury is fairly close to the city centre and pretty cheap too.

Could be worse though, did you see the Aprentice last night £240 per weeks rent for a one room flat in london!! :eek:mg:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Im moving back to Manchester at the end of the summer.

Moving back to Newton Heath, never had a problem with it and lived there for 20 years before I moved to Oslo.

·
On Pissamoat Hill
1,150 Posts
You could try Droylsden?

It's cheap as chips at the moment, my 2 bed terraced is probably worth £120k in the greenbelt Littlemoss area.

When t'metro comes down the the main road and the marina comes prices are bound to go up?

Might be a good investment and the city centre is only 15 minutes up the road?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Are you thinking of renting or buying? Budget? Looking for decent schools/transport connections?

Westhoughton is a good one for buying, particular if you have a family. Schools are good, crime pretty low, good transport connections to motorway/rail network. You can be in town in 15mins (car) or 30mins(train), rush hour/traffic obviously longer. Has about 25.000 people.

For buying nearer the centre, tough call.

Renting-Trinity Riverside is an alright development in Salford, close to town but not on top of it, so you can have your peace and quiet if you want it. Loads of students though.

to be honest, if you give us the lowdown on what you are after+budget, then we can give you better advice

·
Registered
10 Posts
My budget is around £150,000 and I would prefer either a larger terrace and a parking spot or a Semi. Been considering somewhere out towards Stockport,Levenshulme, Burnage, Reddish but I really do not know these areas well.

As I do not have a car I need to be somewhere on a night bus route so somewhere along Stockport Road sounds ideal.

Is Levenshulme as rough as it looks from the main road?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Levenshulme isn't that bad. Big Irish population, good bus connections to Manchester city cetre, stockport town centre, though traffic in the morning (A6) can by a pain. Pubs are ok. Lot of buy-to-rent property.

Burnage- low violent crime, but high rates of burgalry/motor crime/petty crime. Is very estate-ish, but close to Didsbury to get the benefit, but enough away to keep house prices down.

Didsbury/Burnage/Levenshulme is the same encatchment area for schools etc.

Don't know Reddish that well, could be a good thing, ie it keeps itself out of the papers!

Stockport encompasses a big area. There are nice, quiet suburbs and rough estates. Town centre has all the big name shops, loads of pubs, Manchester not too far away. Roads can get busy in the morning though.

If you are after affordable city life in an alright area, out of those I'd plump for Levenshulme.

·
Clean-shaven and foolish
1,363 Posts
highriser said:
Then in North Manchester i'll go for Prestwich (bit pricey in parts ) , Crumsall as some lovely houses, Broughton.
There's some lovely bits of Crumpsall that are right on the brink of being in Prestwich but not quite - and therefore are slightly bigger and quite a bit cheaper than Prestwich houses. I live in such a place in a leafy cul-de-sac in Higher Crumpsall, and it's such a nice contrast from the glorious hustle-bustle of Manchester city centre - which is only about 4 miles away...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts