Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so we (56 year old mother and 17 year old me) live in Sudbury right now but we want to move somewhere else. It should be somewhere not too big (less than 200,000) and not too small (more than 10,000). We want to be able to rent a house for a good price. There has to be an art gallery or at least something for visual artists. It should be accessible and it would be nice if it were somewhat close to a larger town, especially Toronto.It should be peaceful and it should have nice places for people who like hiking, fishing and other outdoor activities (ski hill is a plus and so are nice parks). We don't care about nightlife and all those thingies. The roads should be suitable for cyclists (Sudbury is so bad for that! I just ride on the sidewalks here). It should be nice and not stuck up like Barrie (no offense lol). It should be safe, I mean yeah crackheads are everywhere but as long as it isn't overly crime ridden we're good.

I know this is alot to ask but I'm trying to narrow it down as much as possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
I think Orillia has an art gallery? Peterborough is also supposed to be quite nice and Toronto is just a short VIA trip away (I think they're getting GO soon). Guelph also has a noted arts scene but it is probably fairly expensive.

·
Registered
782 Posts
North Bay is just 90 minutes down the highway from Sudbury and can offer pretty much everything you described.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
You may want to open a second thread in the Toronto section, as it gets a higher volume and people there are mostly familiar with lots of Ontario towns close to TO! Best of luck to you!
I'd personally choose Port Hope... only a half hour drive from Toronto, and very pretty.

·
____
1,073 Posts
I would recommend Dundas, Ontario. It fits your description to a tee. It has a thriving arts community, some of the absolute best natural scenery in Ontario (I'm not exaggerating) with easily accessible trails, extremely quiet, has all the shopping and services to meet your needs (without big box developments), beautiful historic neighbourhoods, a thriving downtown, virtually no crime, hardly any through traffic yet easy access to both Toronto and the Niagara Region (each about 45 mins). It's the best place I've ever lived by a wide margin. Although it's within the City of Hamilton, it's very separate from Hamilton and maintains a small town feel. It also shares none of the problems that Hamilton itself has.

·
Registered Groovemeister
378 Posts
Bowmanville, Ontario is a nice place. I grew up there for one and it's got all the city amenities in a smaller exurban setting. Also plants to expand the go train there in a few years.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'm with Softee. Definitely, North Bay. Too bad you're moving though. When I become Mayor of Sudbury you'll want to move back!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sarnia fits your description to a tee. 75,000 people, nice beaches and waterfront for boating and fishing. Lots of parks, and a new art gallery being built at the moment downtown. The population is older and its known as somewhat of a retirement town. Less then an hours drive west to London and right across the bridge from Michigan.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Even though he's not here anymore, the O.P. is the first I've ever heard anyone call Barrie "stuck up". Most people that I have met from Barrie seem like good people.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Really I understand your dilemma! Probably, East Ontario should be a fantastic place for a new life. There are wonderful beaches which are one of the most popular tourist destinations in Ontario. Social equipments should be also positive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts