SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while speculation is rampant about Steve Ballmers recent and ongoing sale of stock to purchase a NBA team and build an arena, where do you think it could be built. Bellevues old auto row,old safeway distribution land off 520 or in Sodo somewhere. What are your thoughts....

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Is this a real story? If so, why has it not hit the mainstream media yet?

Don't get me wrong, I would be all for it, but this is the first I have heard of it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its just speculation, its all over seattletimes.co, king5.com, sonicscentral.com for the past week. Hes not using key Arena, it would be to build a privately financed arena. Where do you think he'd build it

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
its just speculation, its all over seattletimes.co, king5.com, sonicscentral.com for the past week. Hes not using key Arena, it would be to build a privately financed arena. Where do you think he'd build it
OK, I see it now with a search of KING5.com. Yes, speculation, but intrigueing nonetheless.

I would think the eastside would be a logical location, due to Ballmer's resume. Not sure SoDo can or would be willing to support a third major venue. Key Arena is over, unless there is a complete rebuild, as in demolish the place and start over. (The original structure is approaching 50 years old).

Sacramento is indeed the best opportunity. However, there are other struggling NBA franchises as well. We shall see. Let's hope Paul Allen's magic can be re-created with Ballmer. If he is serious, then Seattle should get the NBA back within 2-3 years.

·
Journeyman
16,773 Posts
Key Arena is fine, and even fantastic in some ways. It's just not set up to make money like newer arenas.

I hope we get a team, though NBA is sort of out-of-sight-out-of-mind right now, and I don't miss it much.

If a new arena is built, I hope it's in an urban location with good transit and a lot of restaurants and bars already within walking distance.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
He was one of the proponents of rennovating the Key. If he has the money... Buy the land from the city, tear the old hunk of junk down and rebuild.

NBA teams that could be on the move:
Kings
Grizzlies (return trip to the PNW?)
Hornets

NHL teams that could also be on the move:
Atlanta Thrashers
Columbus Blue Jackets
Phoenix Coyotes

2 transplants to replace our lost one. Seems like a fair trade to me :-D

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
I should also add that perhaps the city could use the funds from selling the key arena land to fun other Seattle Center projects that need doing like replacing Memorial stadium. Would seem wise as it was planned to be replaced with a new parking garage that would be very useful for a fancy new arena.

edit: Oh, and since the neighborhood would then contain pet projects for Bill Gates (BMGF), Paul Allen (EMP/SFM), and Steve Balmer (NUPSA... new Uptown Seattle arena :D) the neighborhood's name will be changed to Windows 7.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
If he wants to pay for it, be my guest. But the people of Seattle should not have to pay for a renovation or reconstruction of an arena that completed a costly rebuild that was completed just 15 years ago. I would like to see any new NBA team be in Seattle itself though if one does come back, as it's much more sustainable to have an arena in a place easily accessible by transit than off in a suburb surrounded by 20 acres of parking. I remember the Terminal 46 proposal from a while ago included an NBA arena haha.
Would there really be enough of a constituency in the Seattle area for a hockey team? There doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for the sport around here, but I could be wrong.

·
Journeyman
16,773 Posts
I don't know about NHL. Part of that is my own lack of interest. But also, there has never been any particular clamor for it.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
I don't know about NHL. Part of that is my own lack of interest. But also, there has never been any particular clamor for it.
I think it's your lack of interest that gives you that perception.

I would say our situation is very similar to that of Denver. We have a pre-existing, fairly small but dedicated hockey fan base (DU and CC fans in Colorado, Silvertips and Thunderbirds fans here), lots of rich white folks who like rich white folk type recreation (skiing, boating, soccer, and hockey) all in a fairly good sized metropolitan area. The Avs sold out their first 300 or so games. The only thing keeping a Seattle team doing the same is the lack of a viable venue.

·
Banned
2,144 Posts
I can't see this being built on the Eastside. There would be a lot of whiny residents who oppose it, especially in Bellevue...and for good reason. If an arena is built, it should be kept in Seattle. It makes no sense to have it outside of the city.

·
Registered
511 Posts
NHL won't move teams around, they'd contract.

As far as getting another NBA team from another town - seriously? Would you really want to happen to another city what happened to Seattle when the Sonics moved away?

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
IF this is the case then cool, I guess. IF Ballmer really wants to build an arena then I'd hope it'd be in Seattle.

I kind of agree with FTW, I don't want to snatch up another city's team. Sacramento has a great fanbase. With that said, they've had quiet a long time to figure out their situation and haven't. Seattle was kind of screwed over and in a short period of time (thank you Schultz). The Maloofs in Sacramento have been trying considerably harder and for a lot longer than Schultz/Bennett could even imagine. Not to mention their mayor is a former NBA all star!!! If a dedicated owner (the Maloofs) and a former NBA player as mayor (Johnson), can't fix their situation then I don't know that it ever will be done.

If Ballmer wants to go for then more power to him. To be honest I'm still pretty bitter about the league's treatment of our city. If they come I will watch I'm sure, but if not whatever. I can't wait until David Stern retires/dies etc. He's a goon.

·
Journeyman
16,773 Posts
I think it's your lack of interest that gives you that perception.

I would say our situation is very similar to that of Denver. We have a pre-existing, fairly small but dedicated hockey fan base (DU and CC fans in Colorado, Silvertips and Thunderbirds fans here), lots of rich white folks who like rich white folk type recreation (skiing, boating, soccer, and hockey) all in a fairly good sized metropolitan area. The Avs sold out their first 300 or so games. The only thing keeping a Seattle team doing the same is the lack of a viable venue.
Denver is also culturally more connected to winter sports, and to hockey. Denver University even has a hockey team, which is apparently followed a fair amount.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts