SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we had the blackout August 14, 2003?

Me? I was originally in Red Hook, Brooklyn managed to walk through the Brooklyn Promenade, all the way across the Brooklyn Bridge to Franklin Street in Manhattan only to walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge and wind up at the Brooklyn Mariott where my father picked me up to take me home.

It was an unusually fun day. Walking over the Brooklyn Bridge at night with absolutely no lights with thousands of strangers was a funky experience.

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
I was getting my hair braided, and then the power went out...fawk

I remember going to check on my grandmother and seeing my aunt sitting outside her building because she couldn't get up the stairs becase the elevator was out..

man I remember seeing some makeshift fireworks, I met some french cats who were looking for p, but all in all it was a good day

one thing I remember the most was how all the radio stations were covering the blackout but hot 97 was just playing music like nothing happned..hehe

·
Super Moderator
11,284 Posts
lol, I had just come back from vacation in the morning, I fell asleep watching TV in the afternoon, when I woke up, the TV was off. I checked around and saw that there wasn't any electricity. So I thought the super had planned on it but we had no idea as we were away. Anyway, I went out, and I felt something was different. I went to the intersection and no lights. I thought it was maybe just the neighborhood. I met a neighbor who told me it was just the city. It took me over an hour to realize that not just the city, not just the state, but the whole northeast was out!
Craaaaazy! I mean, I've had power outages before, maybe an hour or two while they repaired lines, or during hot summers for conservation, but over 2 days! In the US of A!
But that's just the beginning, I don't think I will ever experience something like that again, no electricity in the modern world. Mad me sad for those kids in Ethiopia, Somalia, etc
But as soon as I got my juice back, I went to my former selfish existence :p

·
User
5,634 Posts
I was at my cousins house and saw the microwave clock go off thinking the power just went out in the house. The house is by a Con Ed station so all of a sudden you hear a large noise sounding like an airplane went down. Later on found out that those were the power generators shutting down.

Crazy to see so many people out in the streets, every block had neighbors talking with each other, children playing in the streets, it was pretty cool to see. I remember listening to Bloomberg on the radio at night, man, the stupid things he would say had me laughing every 5 mins.

Nice blackout picture I saved when I saw it online at the time:

·
Registered
247 Posts
At my house in Bay Ridge. I was in the back with some friends and family by our inflatable pool when our neighbor came out, said that she thought she blew a fuse or something, then we realized the whole block was out, then we realized the whole city was out, then we realized the whole northeast was out.

I walked to the pier and saw the dark skyline, otherwise we all hung out on our stoops, it was cooler outside than in (brick detached houses, whew bad in summertime), ate, talked, just had a good time. Power came back about 3 Am, we ignored requests to save power and blasted the a/c and went to bed. We should have more blackouts :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
In the house. I forgot exactly what I was doing... probably computer. It was annoying trying to sleep with no fan or air conditioner.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was at the orthodontist back upstate (I didn't actually move to the city until two days later). We only lost it until about 9 that night though, so it wasn't too bad.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
i was sittin' pretty here in texas but a few of my relatives upstate lost their power for a few hours.

·
Registered
251 Posts
at home, enjoying the blackout and chaos in nyc on tv
Just fascinating to see how developed countries are so dependible on electricity.
Take the electricity away, and we would all be pussy's

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The PhantoM said:
at home, enjoying the blackout and chaos in nyc on tv
Just fascinating to see how developed countries are so dependible on electricity.
Take the electricity away, and we would all be pussy's
I dont think wed be pussies...We would eventually adapt. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts