SkyscraperCity banner

Where's best to invest?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't really want to vote Leeds coz of the favouritism etc, but if you want me to be honest I would say Leeds- it still has some cheap northern prices in some places but is well on its way up in economy. The southern locations are good if you have the money to start with but theyre not particularly 'upcoming'. Brighton maybe but its still expensive to start with.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
None of the above, most likely some small place in Wales or another random place that has seen less growth than the national average recently.

If peace breaks out long term in N Ireland - I'd suggest Belfast to be honest.

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Id probably say Newcastle, Bradford or Sheffield- relitavely large places that are still cheap but look like they are on the verge of major economic growth and a development boom.

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah Glasgows a good one too. It is on the 'look-out-for' bit on the site. Around Glasgow Harbour and some districts.

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brighton isn't that big... And its quite an expensive place if you want to start investing there- its better to start off in a cheaper place.

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I always noticed that- although I always thought it was very 'British' and a bit wannabe posh (I used to live in Eastbourne so went alot). People always said you have to go for the shopping, which really is just average lol.

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I say all that I mean I like Brighton, nice place but I don't think its anything special in terms of size/what it has to offer particularly over London.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Well you could say what does any other UK city have over London?

We have the beachfront though, and you won't find one of them in London ;) or your wonderful Leeds :p

Shopping in Brighton is actually pretty good, lots of unique independents, much more interesting than all those clone chain stores that are taking over all our towns/cities at present, also there's some good top end stores so all in all there's a good mix of shops here unlike some cities where all you see is the same old mid-range chain stores.

Experian ranked it 18th best for shopping so it's not bad at all (around the same level as Bristol and Edinburgh if I remember correctly), it could do with some more department stores though, stores like House of Fraser, John Lewis and apparently Harvey Nicks are interested in Brighton but currently there is no room for them, although there are plans to add retail space as part of the Brighton Centre proposals so they may well move into that development.
Brighton has one of the highest demands for retail space in the country, so there is a real chance in the future that the city could enter the top ten for retail.

You do seem to have it in for Brighton though Mr Number 1 (from previous posts I have gathered this), and I don't understand it to be honest, Brighton is starting to look and feel like an emerging major city in the south of England - no maybe not as major as your mighty Leeds metro empire but still, a major southern city (the largest outside London) that is one of the UK's most popular destinations.

·
Registered
30,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The reason I don't think it ever will become a major city like the major northern cities is because London is so close and so far has made it impossible for any major city to grow in the south (the largest being Bristol, Southampton, Portsmouth and now Brighton) but they are not on the same scale as Birmingham, Liverpool etc. The second reason is that its such a rich, British, preserved costal resort, I dont think people would like it to become full of big building and money. As for independent shops, people say chains are taking over, but personally I like chains generally, and it isn't true really. Leeds has small shops all over in the CornX, Granary Wharf etc and so do most cities- you just have to look harder for them now. The main reason I wouldnt invest in Brighton though is it already costs alot to start there- South East, Coast, near London- it all adds up to it being an expensive place- you'd have to be qutie confident and well off to start buying property there.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I know Brighton isn't and probably will never be in the same league as cities like Manchester, Liverpool etc but I never said it was or would be.

Being close to London has it's benefits, and I could equally turn the argument round and say it is because of our proximity to the capital that Brighton will continue to grow, and it is - we have one of the fastest growing populations, which is mainly down to the huge crowds of Londoners moving here wanting to become part of what they see as a trendy, happening place by the sea, and is why Brighton is refered to as 'London by the sea'.

As for it being a 'preserved' coastal resort, well yes this is down to our regency heritage and developers are indeed finding it hard to develop large scale projects in these sensitive areas, but there are parts of Brighton outside these historic areas where there is huge potential for modern, large scale developments.
Other historic and preserved cities like Edinburgh and to some extent Bristol are successful major cities and so I don't think that argument holds much weight personally, as every city has sensitive areas anyway.

You say that every city has it's share of independents, and that is true to some extent (although some towns and cities are totally overrun with chains) but I have not come across anywhere in the UK apart from maybe London that comes close to matching what Brighton offers in terms if it's small, independent traders like those in the North Laine area.

Out of all the cities in the south (outside London), Brighton by far has the largest number of development proposals, so it is evident that the city is a very popular place to invest in at the moment.

Also I think it is just a matter of time before Brighton starts to really accept tall buildings, as it is one of the most dense cities in the country and with it's position squashed between the sussex downs and sea the only way to expand in terms of building development is to go up!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts