SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
It must be my Maryland bias that keeps me tuned to Baltimore more than DC. Well, DC isn't much for high-rises, there's a strict limit. As far as I know, there is a lot of work being done on the southeastern district such as the new baseball stadium and a ton of condos to go with it. Other than that, I'm clueless as to where the cranes are in DC. :?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Yeah, I'm from DC and it's a shame there isn't more representation. I'm in college far away so I don't have time to go in and take pics and all that. Not for high rises, so I guess that has a little something to do but it still seems weird. Not a lot of people like DC right now anyway. I think it's really one of the more misunderstood cities the more I read some threads on this forum.

But for sure there is a hell of a lot of construction going on. DT is getting tons more buildings, low-rise of course, but they're really nice nonetheless. I think in the near future, we are going to see a lot of residential development going on. Hopefully some retail after that.

But in general the entire area is doing very well economically still.

SE is getting re-done, but I don't know if most of that has started yet, the stadium will really bolster this, DT seems like it's getting better by the day though. The chinatown/MCI Center/convention center areas are getting a lot better. And it's great to see some of the places like U St. getting better, and G'town is still doing well.

I really wish I had more pics, but you can go to www.beyonddc.com to get a lot of info about the area with pics and all of that. Arlington is getting a new tallest too, and there's another tall res. building going up there, one of them will be the third tallest I believe between B'more and DC.

But yeah, there's a lot of MD bias among the B'more people, I mean, B'more is a city with it's own culture and history so it deserves it's credit, but it would be great to get some B'more guys that like DC, I love B'more, I really like the entire area.

·
Banned
264 Posts
The lack of highrises in DC I think can be explained by the building limit, which I believe is 3 floors (not sure if it's by story or height).

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
I think it's something like the building can't be more than twice the width of the street. Either that or the limit is about 60 m or maybe a little more. I don't think it's the number of stories, because there are some buildings with 15 stories according to Emporis. I think the former is the height limit, regarding street width.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think the story is that a building cant be more than 30ft taller than the street is wide in front of it. Let's say the street in front of a building is 100ft wide. The building along that street can't go any higher than 130ft.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
3 floors or stories? No way. It is done by street, street width + 20 ft.

There will be a tower going up in Rosslyn that is going to be around 500 ft which is catching plenty of opposition but I think it's going to go up. In Rosslyn, the current tallest and accepted limit is around 300 ft.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
But even then, there are other cities that have pretty crappy skylines that aren't half the city DC is. People really don't understand the city, all people think it is, is gov't buildings, and some blacks tucked away across the anacostia, which isn't true, it's got history, grit, great sights, nightlife, food, all of that. It's retail could be better though.

Basically, I think it's lack of representation and it's image.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I use to live there most of my life, but I moved to Seattle a couple of years ago. I don't think I could ever live there again.

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
The Old Post Office is about 320 ft. tall. DC still has a very large downtown area, apparently one of the largests in country. It's also very dense if you ever go through it. Frankly, it does have its ways to make you feel like you're in a big city. Most of the office buildings are roughly the same height.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Well, I can tell you that other towns that get so much boost on this forum like ATL, Charlotte, Houston, Indy, Minneapolis, StL, don't even compare with DC IMO, not saying they're bad, but I think the lack of representation and it's perception as a bureaucratic, sterile, government town is just wrong. It's also one of the most liberal towns despite it's location and has great suburbs even with the sprawl.

Also, there was a thread talking about towns with the biggest boom happening, people really don't know how well DC is recovering. Sure, Philly was never dying, but IMO, cities like Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and while I love B'more, shouldn't be beating out DC in that dept.

It's not just the expansion of government, there are other industries in the area, and there are lots of things to do in the city that aren't related to history. DC has as good bars as any of the big cities on the east coast, which are the best in the country except for a few like Chi, LA, Miami, and maybe another city. And it's nightlife is great too.

It has a lot of crime and that really does give it a real bad image.

DC also has some real 'hoods, Shaw for instance was the place to be for blacks before Harlem had a renaissance and it's being restored.

And although it doesn't have any highrises going up, there is as much construction in DC as most towns considered to be booming in the country. DC has some of the best rowhouses and gorgeous and majestic lowrise architecture that I've seen in the US.

All I'm saying is that there is a lot of good things happening, the crime rate is the one thing that sticks out in people's minds. People see the data coming back from office space vacancy rates and unemployment rate and growth rate and assume it's b/c of the low rise buildings or b/c of the gov't growing. Sooner or later people will take notice I think.

DC is one of those towns like B'more, Detroit, Philly, that if you came here in the 80s or early 90s and that's your last impression of the city, it's a hell of a lot different now.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
And the height limit is street width + 20 ft, the capitol may be a secondary limit when projects are in development, but the street width one is strict, the washington monument is one for the area, and will be threatened in the future by Arlington as it is now.

I mean, like I said, I'm in college and I don't have a ton of time on my hands, if there are development news threads for cities like Buffalo and Wilmington, I'm sure that there is plenty of development to keep a sticky thread for DC, it's the only one of the big east coast cities w/o one, and even though they're not highrises, there is some great low rise stuff going up and some nice residential projects in the works for the area.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Novawolverine, I know exactly what you mean. People who havent visited a city in like 10-15 years have no right to judge that city. Places change.
There are an incredible amount of boosters on this forum ( me to a degree) and in reality, DC is respected. This forum has a bunch of teenagers (myself included)anyway and half of the time they dont know whattheyre talking about.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
As others have pointed out, there is a lot of development going on in DC, particularly urban residential projects that are coming up in gentrifying areas of town. I just came back from a trip to Columbia Heights where there are several projects proposed or under construction in a relatively small area. These projects might not be sensational, but together they really change the landscape of a neighborhood. It would be great to have a sticky with information and news about these projects.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts