Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I suppose this is wondering-aloud, but what the heck. I think I have become beguiled by the thought of living in or very close to the CBD rather than suburbia...
Obviously we're talking an apartment, and preferably something affordable on an SA salary i.e. less than R2-3million i.e not one of these tropy apartments that seem to be floating around the V&A etc.
I don't want this to go down the unrelated estate-agency / investor's opinion route but based on the current developments in CT, I was thinking that the area around the southern end of Adderly / Heerengracht are probably the places to aim for given the CTICC / Std Bank / Chris Barnard Hospital / BRT developments. I mean De Waterkant is a nice idea, but I reckon it's already quite mature (as are the prices) and I figured that the former is probably the best bet in the future.
Yes, I have thought of areas further "inland" around CPUT etc but rather like the idea of being as close as possible to the water.
Comments and thoughts?

·
23,341 Posts
The problem with the foreshore is that there aren't many residential blocks there at all. Have you considered taking a look at the Icon building? It's of course relatively new and conveniently located, but I'm not sure what the prices are like, so you'd have to see what fits into your price range.

The East City still has a ways to go before I'd personally want to live there. A number of apartment blocks have popped up in recent years, but there are still a few problem buildings that they have to get rid of before the seedier side of the area is weeded out. Some of the new blocks are also on the low end of the price range.

Otherwise I'd look in the heart of the CBD and going up along Bree Street (and parallel streets) towards the Kloof Street area. There are a few nice blocks in Greenmarket Square, as well as a few gems you may come across in some of the quieter streets up towards the Kloof Street area.

·
C A P E T O W N
3,088 Posts
Hi WileyCoyote

I've been a CBD resident for ten years, so I guess you could say I'm an expert.
I currently live in the Foreshore at the bottom end of Loop street. While I love living here, the Foreshore can get a bit dead on weekends. It's not as dead as it used to be, but also not as vibey as it should be. The main reason for this as Lydon mentioned is because there aren't that many residential building in the Foreshore, which is a pity.

But, if your weeks are going to be hectic, then a less frenetic urban environment could be just what you're looking for.

The Foreshore is where most of the new developments are happening, so if the bling part of the city appeals to you, then I'd look at buying an apartment at the Icon. Apartments range from R1,25 million up to about 6,5 million for a penthouse. There are still a few apartments available. It's a well maintained building.

Alternatively, if you're looking at living in a more vibey part of the city, then I'd look at apartments around Greenmarket Square and the top end of Adderley street. The Decks is an awesome residential block right in the heart of Long Street. All apartment offer generous balconies and the city views are unmatched. Check out this apartment currently available there.

Cartwrights Corner in the top end of Adderley Street is a good bet. It's a really well maintained building, but apartments tend to be a bit expensive and the levies are some of the highest you'll pay in the city.
Mutual Heights next door is an awesome historic building. Apartments are cheaper and the levies are also more affordable. The apartments are loft type that offer double volume living spaces. Most apartments don't offer balconies, but you have access to the roof deck/ swimming pool at neighbouring Adderley Terraces.

Also, if you can find a place in Mandela Rhodes Place, you won't regret it.

Check out www.privateproperty.co.za and use Cape Town centre as your search criteria.

Happy hunting :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts