Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which American city has the largest/most impressive skyline for its size?

Which American city has a skyline that seems disproportionate to its population?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Atlanta, Minneapolis, Seattle and Miami all come to mind, unless you're talking about Metropolitan population.

If you're speaking of metropolitan population, then I would tend to go with Charlotte. Columbus, OH wouldn't be a bad choice either, IMO.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
The Great Hizzy! said:
Atlanta, Minneapolis, Seattle and Miami all come to mind, unless you're talking about Metropolitan population.

If you're speaking of metropolitan population, then I would tend to go with Charlotte. Columbus, OH wouldn't be a bad choice either, IMO.
If youre talking metropolitan population than you should also consider the # of highrises in the metro. In Miami's case that would be 1000+ highrises for a metro of only 5 million. Pretty impressive.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Jennifat said:
Which American city has a skyline that seems disproportionate to its population?
L.A. and Phoenix. I think for a city their size, I think their skylines are waaay too small. From the pictures I've seen of Phoenix, it doesn't seem like they have a skyline anyway! Now for cities that seem to have a much larger skyline for their size, I would say Atlanta, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Miami, as another poster pointed out earlier.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Tulsa with a city/metro population of about 390k/930k and two buildings over 600' is pretty dang good.

Bartlesville, OK has a population of 35,000 and a county population of 50,000, so the skyline is quite good with 5 buildings over 80m.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Winston-Salem, NC (city pop: 190,299; MSA: 441,607)

Roanoke, VA (city pop: 92,863; MSA: 288,309)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Tulsa, Charlotte, Cleveland, Atlanta, Miami, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Honolulu, Boston, Des Moines, ect ect.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
prwfromnc said:
L.A. and Phoenix. I think for a city their size, I think their skylines are waaay too small. From the pictures I've seen of Phoenix, it doesn't seem like they have a skyline anyway! Now for cities that seem to have a much larger skyline for their size, I would say Atlanta, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Miami, as another poster pointed out earlier.
yeah, Phoenix's skyline resembles that of a small city office park, it's very disappointing. LA's skyline I can appreciate.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Pittsburgh. The skyline looks way bigger than 330k or whatever the population is.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
well, coastal cities are going to have a huge number of condo/hotel towers, so they are sure to have skylines that don't really match.

I think that Tulsa and Des Moines are pretty good considering they are under 1 million. I actually think that Columbus, OH and Charlotte are pretty accurate. Columbus is the state capitol of Ohio, one of the most populous states so there should be a number of ancillary offices, etc. there and Charlotte, despite having some really great towers, doesn't quite have the number of midrises and towers in the 150 to 200-foot range that I would expect in a city of 2 million. (no knock on Charlotte, I love the skyline) Granted, this is all changing as we speak.

I think that Atlanta is very impressive for is size.

I think that Phoenix is the biggest losser in this category!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Shreveport, Tulsa, Omaha, and Des Moines get my vote.

·
Registered
349 Posts
RP1 said:
yeah, Phoenix's skyline resembles that of a small city office park, it's very disappointing. LA's skyline I can appreciate.
I think L.A.'s skyline look nice too, but I still think it's kind of smallish. I guess I'm looking at from the viewpoint that it should be as big as New York's and Chicago's skylines, since its population is up there with those two, and it is the 2nd largest city in the country. I agree with you in that Phoenix's skyline resembles that of a suburban office park skyline. Their skyline looks like something I would expect to see in suburban Atlanta.

·
Martial Artist
364 Posts
most impressvie/dissapointing skylines

The cities that surprise me

1. Atlanta (pop. under 430,000)
2. Tulsa (pop. under 380,000)
3. Des Moines (pop. 200,000)
4. Minneapolis (pop. over 360,000)
5. Hartford (pop. 125,000)

unimpressive for big cities

1. Fresno (pop. over 460,000)
2. Phoenix (pop. under 1,500,000)
3. San Jose (pop. over 900,000)
4. Memphis (pop. 680,000)
5. Tucson (pop. 530,000)

other places with nice skylines would be: Pittsburgh, Little Rock, Austin, Miami, Winston-Salem, B'Ham, Columbia, SC, and of course Mobile(with our new tower).

·
Registered
195 Posts
U might be surprised at my answer

I think it is Chicago

Chicago's skyline is HUGE for its size. If you really think about it...Chicago's skyline is being compared to much larger cities such as New York or Hong Kong or Shanghai. The reason I picked Chicago is because there is no city around 3 million people that is even close to be compared to Chicago's skyline.
Pittsburgh has Minneapolis to rival. All the other smaller cities have another city to be compared to. For Chicago...it has no rival. Only the cities that are at least 2x bigger.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts