Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which cities in the US do you feel do the best job with creating pleasing streetscapes and why?

Conversely, which cities do you feel neglect streetscaping downtown or lack it altogether?

·
Live and Let Live
1,606 Posts
Why does it matter whether they are working with existing infrastructure or not? Just curious what that means.

·
Banned
194 Posts
I think Minneapolis is a good contender for worst.

The entire city as a whole is very green, but ironically downtown Minneapolis is quite sterile and virtually devoid of any kind of greenery with crumbling sidewalks and all street activity on the second floor in the skyways.

Nicollet Mall may be only real exception to this, and even Nicollet Mall is rather sterile.

Blah.

·
5,837 Posts
While I love the bending and turning of New York Cities financial district I think Chicago's is more pleasing. I love the clean streets, the El, the mix of old and new at eye level. The sidewalk gardens are all over and are amazing. Tie: Ny and Chicago.

·
6,472 Posts
How could it be a tie after you described what you just described?

I think Chicago is definitely at the top of the list for the larger cities.

·
Journeyman
16,908 Posts
Portland does well with its narrow streets and big trees.

I like Nicollet Mall.

New England probably has the most really great downtown streets in terms of ambiance.

·
5,837 Posts
Lmich, nah it's a tie for me. I still love new york cities much more intricate and detailed older architecture that lines the streets, the chaotic street patterns that create these tight canyons of old scrapers, the vendors, the sunless streets of the financial district. It can be too overwhelming but my god how I feel like I am in this giant room when I am down there, even outside. So to me it is a tie.

Ny is evil

Chicago is not. It's like I could go either way on that one. The loop definetly takes the edge sometimes.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Lmich, nah it's a tie for me. I still love new york cities much more intricate and detailed older architecture that lines the streets, the chaotic street patterns that create these tight canyons of old scrapers, the vendors, the sunless streets of the financial district. It can be too overwhelming but my god how I feel like I am in this giant room when I am down there, even outside. So to me it is a tie.

Ny is evil

Chicago is not. It's like I could go either way on that one. The loop definetly takes the edge sometimes.
I think your point is very well taken. If you wanted to plan the "ideal" city from scratch, the one with all the pieces in place in the way you'd like to place them, that very well may be Chicago. But that would not in the least dimnish a desire to place yourself in more positively chaotic, free flowing, carnival-like, over-the-top, ever spinning, break-the-rules, cutting edge and edginess world that is Manhattan.

Both Chicago and Manhattan press different urban buttons for people....but each does it in its own wonderful way. They don't compete in their offerings; they compliment each other in their differences.

·
Banned
568 Posts
I think your point is very well taken. If you wanted to plan the "ideal" city from scratch, the one with all the pieces in place in the way you'd like to place them, that very well may be Chicago. But that would not in the least dimnish a desire to place yourself in more positively chaotic, free flowing, carnival-like, over-the-top, ever spinning, break-the-rules, cutting edge and edginess world that is Manhattan.

Both Chicago and Manhattan press different urban buttons for people....but each does it in its own wonderful way. They don't compete in their offerings; they compliment each other in their differences.
well said. but i feel midtown more or so is like the loop.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I like Chicago's a lot - the flowers, trees, clean streets.

I did happen to notice Minneapolis was somewhat barron on many downtown streets. I'm sure the skywalks have a lot to do with this - the ped traffic is moved inside and up on the 2nd level.

I love Minneapolis though, a lot. Not trying to diss it, just something random that I did happen to notice last time I was there.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Minneapolis isnt nearly as bad as you say...looks pleasant.
Minneapolis isn't nearly as deserted as people say because of the skywalks.

When the weather is nice, people hit "1" on the elevator instead of "2".

The only time it's truly "barron" is when you wouldn't want to be outside walking around anyway.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Minneapolis isn't nearly as deserted as people say because of the skywalks.

When the weather is nice, people hit "1" on the elevator instead of "2".

The only time it's truly "barron" is when you wouldn't want to be outside walking around anyway.
at which point it overs a service that blows away what any other city in the nation can offer....as well as the envy of each.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts