Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which American city has the densest canopy shading the city streets?

I'm not talking about city parks, but actual dense development beneath trees. Which cities are the best examples of great urban forestry?

I think a good contender is Savannah, GA. All the live oaks arching over the city streets are spectacular.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Atlanta has to be near or at the top of this list. Unbelievable canopy of trees throughout the city, metro and state. Beautiful.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Uhhh, Atlanta, duh...:)

For a small/midsized city, I don't think Columbia, SC does so bad:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I don't know if it's the "densest canopy", Atlanta looks pretty green, but here's a pic of Minneapolis:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
edsg25, I think that's Buckhead, but don't quote me on it. I see Perimeter off in the distance, so that's why I think so.

·
18,273 Posts
Rowhouse cities are generally not going to be on this list. Philly, Baltimore, NYC, DC, and smaller cities like Wilmington, Reading, Lancaster, etc teand to be too dense to provide space for trees along sidewalks and whatnot.

I remember Atlanta having a lot of trees when I was down there. That goes for the suburbs as well. Buffalo has a nice tree canopy, although I can't remember Atlanta and Buffalo enough to decide who's canopy was better. Jacksonville had a nice tree canopy from what I remember, even in december when i was down there, but I don't think I would put Jacksonville about Buffalo or Atlanta.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I think most Eastern half of the U.S. cities (other than the really dense parts of New York, etc.) are about equal on this list.

When I go up a building here in Columbus and look out, all I see is trees. It looks like a forest.

But the same is true for Louisville, Detroit, Atlanta, and a lot of other places.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Atlanta seems pretty foresty, but Chicago also has plenty of tree lined streets and forest preserves....

More of a subruban shot......

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
this is silly. unless you've been to them all, how would you really know? houston is very lush but can't say that is the lushest.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
all these images with the telephoto lenses are a bit misleading. They make the trees look more dense than they are. That being said I flew into Atlanta years ago and was amazed at the density of trees. Never saw anything like it. If they have survived Atlanta is a clear winner on this one.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Surprisingly it may be Detroit. I remember going up to the revolving bar at the top of the Ren center a few years ago and being amazed at all the foliage.

Chicago deserves a special mention for it decision to create Forest Preserves at the edges of the city as well but I don't think the streets themselves ever really recovered from cutting down all the elm trees during the Dutch elm panic.

1 - 20 of 282 Posts