Votes: 38 86.4%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which appears taller to you and gives you a greater sense of height:

city skylines or mountains?

Mountains are certainly much higher. But they are far less nuanced, far less detailed, and none seem to thrust upward from the surrounding land as a skyline does. At their peaks, there is a far less dramatic sense of differenation as the spires of skyscrapers. Your sense of distance, of nearing mountains is far less dramatic than entering a city's downtown core with its skyscrapers looming. Nature doesn't create straight lines that enhance a city's verticality.

So which appears higher.....mountains that have height going for them or skylines which have everything else going for them to convey height?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
^^Yup, there are mountains outside of LA that are about the size of 7 Sears Towers stacked on top of each other. They dwarf the Los Angeles skyline, or any skyline for that matter.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing conveys height to me like the view of Manhattan from across the Hudson River (although less so since the WTC collapse).

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
i've seen big skylines (chicago, NYC, toronto) and i've seen big mountains (swiss alps, colorado rockies, PNW casacades) and there's no contest here. mountains are freaking ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Nothing conveys height to me like the view of Manhattan from across the Hudson River (although less so since the WTC collapse).
Manhattan wouldn't look as tall from New Jersey if the San Gabriel Mountains were rising in Queens. That would really put things in perspective. You'd be able to see the mountains from Pennsylvania on a clear day.

·
The Place
1,137 Posts
Mountains... by far.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'll go with the earth's original skyscraper, the mountain. Living in Seattle and seeing Mt. Ranier on a clear day makes you stop wherever you are and gape in awe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts