Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Hobart

Votes: 1 3.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered Melbourne
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Australia part of the Mother Country, part of the Coalition of the Willing, or are you part of "well we'll make up our minds for ourselves?" Well, You Do That.

·
17,457 Posts
I have never been to Australia but alot of it's cities have sizable Asian populations especially Sydney and Melbourne.

·
original
1,219 Posts
sydney

or melbourne... their mayor is Chinese :)

but it's not just the Asian populations.. there is heavy Asian influence in food, culture and lots of things in Sydney and Melbourne. for example, sushi is almost the most popular lunch item for businessmen and women

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
Melbourne also has an incredibly high international student population - so much that education is one of the largest exports in the economy. Of course, us second generation Asians find the majority of international students to be very weird.

Areas in Melbourne with a major Asian influence that I can think of are:
- Springvale (home of quad-lingual signs, formerly known for drugs and crime)
- Box Hill
- Glen Waverley
- any suburb near a major university campus
- Victoria St, Richmond
- Footscray (also has a crime reputation)
- cheap student accomodation towers in the Melbourne CBD, especially around Little Bourke and Russell Streets.

Sydney would be about the same, but my knowledge of Sydney's geography is not up to scratch. :) I remember heaps of tourists around the Opera House though. There's plenty of tourists here, but at least there's no world famous landmark to congregate around. :D

·
original
1,219 Posts
about 80%+ of all Australia's Korean population are in Sydney...

also, there is a noticable Asian influence in architecture in many new homes/gardens, ...that is more pronounced than elsewhere in the outside-Asian world

·
quacked
2,294 Posts
i always thought that aussie cities have a kind of "asian" look to them.

duuuhh!!!!! that's because it's next to asia!

·
HSBC
233 Posts
Basically, you can find good Asian population everywhere in Australia? But the more appropriate question is which city is the most Asian-friendly? For this question, I would vote for Melbourne, which is city with very high racial tolerance. The least would go to Perth. It is scary.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Well what do you mean by "most Asian"??

I wouldnt say any Australian city is "Asian"... Australian cities are unique - they take the best from Europe, North America and over the past two decades - Asia.
There are large Asian populations in the major capital cities - I think 8% of the national population is of Asian descent.
There are "Asian" enclaves in most cities - someone mentioned Melbourne's in earlier posts, but these suburbs are still very Australian in their architecture etc.

You cant define what is the "most Asian"... what criteria do you use?
And you cant define what is "most European" etc.

To me, all Australia's cities have their own unique personalities, and the Asian communities are just a part of that.

·
-The Potential Architect-
102 Posts
invincible said:
Melbourne also has an incredibly high international student population - so much that education is one of the largest exports in the economy. Of course, us second generation Asians find the majority of international students to be very weird.

Areas in Melbourne with a major Asian influence that I can think of are:
- Springvale (home of quad-lingual signs, formerly known for drugs and crime)
- Box Hill
- Glen Waverley
- any suburb near a major university campus
- Victoria St, Richmond
- Footscray (also has a crime reputation)
- cheap student accomodation towers in the Melbourne CBD, especially around Little Bourke and Russell Streets.

Sydney would be about the same, but my knowledge of Sydney's geography is not up to scratch. :) I remember heaps of tourists around the Opera House though. There's plenty of tourists here, but at least there's no world famous landmark to congregate around. :D
hmm thats true, melb has changed so much since i left 10 years ago especially box hill... alot of chinese and taiwanese now.
but why do u find international students weird???

·
Lurker
3,805 Posts
OBman said:
hmm thats true, melb has changed so much since i left 10 years ago especially box hill... alot of chinese and taiwanese now.
but why do u find international students weird???
I'm exaggerating and generalising a bit, but it's to do with the fact that they're always following the latest trends from Asia in fashion (often paid for by their wealthy parents, since they're not allowed to work on a student visa), while the rest of us are going to uni in a t-shirt and shorts. :D They generally segregate themselves from the rest of us a bit more, but it's understandable due to the language barrier. And sometimes they're the poorer performers because the universities relax the entrance requirements when you pay full fees.

Not all international students are like that though. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts