Skyscraper City Forum banner

Which cities have the made the best downtown turn-around within the past 5-10 years?

• Charlotte, NC

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • Chattanooga, TN

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Nashville, TN

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Greensboro, NC

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Greenville, SC

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Orlando, FL

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Houston, TX

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Knoxville, TN

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Atlanta, GA

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 28 37.3%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which cities (southern/southeastern cities only) have the made the best downtown turn-around within the past
5-10 years?

·
UGA1
461 Posts
Which cities (southern/southeastern cities only) have the made the best downtown turn-around within the past
5-10 years?
I think Atlanta has done very well. Also, Columbus has done a lot as well downtown too.

·
Captain
2,813 Posts
Strictly speaking of turnarounds I'm going to have to go with Charlotte and Louisville (other).

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
In no Particular order:

Louisville
Nashville
Jacksonville
Richmond
Memphis
Raleigh
Charlotte
Austin
San Antonio
Lexington
Greenville
Columbia
And the list goes ON and ON and ON because, basically, most cities have realized the value of a strong core, and how much it can contribute to a good quality of life.

I will say, however, that Kentucky's two biggest cities have made some serious progress. I think that Louisville tops the list in terms of how far it has come. So, I voted other.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I would have to say Ft. Worth and Little Rock.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I won't argue that Richmond is experiencing the best turn-around, but it certainly deserves to be on the list.

Norfolk should also be there.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
I think eweezerinc's list is pretty accurate. It would be unfair, however, not to cast a vote for all cities mentioned here because every single one of them has taken big steps forward towards revitalizing their cores. Speaking generally, Raleigh is certainly one of those cities that have made a tremendous turn-around in the last 10 years, in pretty much all areas. Other cities have done very well, too, and this is nice to know.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Especially since this is a skyscraper forum, Mobile deserves special mention (although one can make the argument that the next 5-10 years will be much bigger for the overall downtown revitalization efforts of the city than the last 5-10 years).

·
Registered
212 Posts
I voted Houston (baseball stadium, arena, light rail, and I know there are some other things) and there is currently lots of activity going on

·
MetroPlexer
654 Posts
I vote (other) Dallas

The changes in downtown Dallas the past 6 years (the length of time I've lived here) has been nothing short of stunning. Nearly every vacant office building I walked past shaking my head back in 2001 has either been renovated or is in the process of being turned into urban housing. Consider all the new office buildings, hotels, restaurants, nightspots, the beautiful new Dallas Center for the Performing Arts, the giant Victory development including the American Airlines Center and you begin to get a sense of the sheer magnitude of the turnaround.
Today there are 22 construction cranes towering over a central Dallas that was moribund and dark just 6 short years ago.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We're not even on the list? What's the deal? Especially since this poll allows for you to vote for multiple options............

Birmingham's downtown was a ghost town in 1997. People were afraid to go downtown, the Metropolitan Gardens housing projects were still up (and so was crime in the area); Phillips High school (located downtown) was gettting ready to close its doors, nobody lived downtown except for people who lived in the projects, I don't even think attractions like the McWane center existed 10 years ago.

Now you have dozens, if not hundreds, of loft units for sale. Everywhere you look some old industrial or office building downtown is being coverted to lofts or condominiums. People actually live downtown now, people actually walk around late at night walking their dogs, chatting on the sidewalk, etc. The Metropolitan Gardens housing projects have been replaced with HOPE VI housing development (mixed income housing). The amount of activity downtown overall is up. People are actually interested in coming downtown again, and things are only getting better.

What can we expect in the next 10 years? A new park (designed to be the Birmingham verison of New York's Central Park) which will link the downtown and Southside business districts, making excellent use of what is now empty, trashy land that has become a haven for homeless people, drug addicts, etc. Also, a new entertainment district in the heart of downtown which will add hundreds of new hotel rooms to the downtown area. This will complement the expansion of the convention center. Downtown is booming and is one of the few areas of the city actually making improvements but hey you have to start somewhere. We deserve to be on this list just as much as any other city.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The top 3 in my opinion (not in any particular order because each in different ways have seen more change than the other.)

- Greenville, SC
- Greensboro, NC
- Charlotte, NC

:What has happened in Greenville is simply amazing. their downtown has more restaurants than any of the cities on the list plus downtown manage to get a highend hotel (Hyatt) and a downtown arena. The developments there are very urban for a city its size.

:Greensboro's downtown has seen phenomonal change in the past 10 years. 10 years ago downtown was dead at night, now its one of the most hoppin places in the Carolinas afterhours. Several big project have been built or are being built like the ballpark, Southside, Center-City park and Center Pointe. Downtown is now facing a potenial mega development that could further change downtown in a VERY dramatic way and maybe even do so over night.

:Charlotte has seen probabally the most change in terms of the actual number of projects being built. The arena is the biggest including numerous residential project and several museums. Charlotte is further positioning its downtown into becoming a world class destination.

·
Deep South Pillsbury
560 Posts
Just in the past three years of driving back forth to Greensboro all the time, I've seen its downtown transformed. Honestly, with the new law school, the ballpark, and all the stuff along Elm I gotta hand it to Greensboro.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Though it's just begun, I vote for Mobile. We have the Arthur Outlaw Convention Center, the Municipal Center, the Battle House Tower and Hotel, upcoming residential towers, and maybe a Mardi Gras museum/park.

There's still a lot in Mobile that can be improved, but I think the city is on the right track. I'd like to see Mobile and the county consolidate, to finally shut down the West Mobile secessionists, which I think will hurt the area. Usually I'm sympathetic to secessionists, but in this case West Mobile will only divide the city along economic lines, and is the wrong thing to do.

·
Charlotte
684 Posts
We're not even on the list? What's the deal? Especially since this poll allows for you to vote for multiple options............

Birmingham's downtown was a ghost town in 1997. People were afraid to go downtown, the Metropolitan Gardens housing projects were still up (and so was crime in the area); Phillips High school (located downtown) was gettting ready to close its doors, nobody lived downtown except for people who lived in the projects, I don't even think attractions like the McWane center existed 10 years ago.

Now you have dozens, if not hundreds, of loft units for sale. Everywhere you look some old industrial or office building downtown is being coverted to lofts or condominiums. People actually live downtown now, people actually walk around late at night walking their dogs, chatting on the sidewalk, etc. The Metropolitan Gardens housing projects have been replaced with HOPE VI housing development (mixed income housing). The amount of activity downtown overall is up. People are actually interested in coming downtown again, and things are only getting better.

What can we expect in the next 10 years? A new park (designed to be the Birmingham verison of New York's Central Park) which will link the downtown and Southside business districts, making excellent use of what is now empty, trashy land that has become a haven for homeless people, drug addicts, etc. Also, a new entertainment district in the heart of downtown which will add hundreds of new hotel rooms to the downtown area. This will complement the expansion of the convention center. Downtown is booming and is one of the few areas of the city actually making improvements but hey you have to start somewhere. We deserve to be on this list just as much as any other city.
I'll play Devil's Advocate here; just about every city in the Southeast has experienced incredible residential growth in their downtown areas. Look at places like Greenville and Columbia, SC. Those two cities, like B'ham, have also seen tremendous growth in the number of resturants and clubs in their central areas. Couple that with completed developments the likes of which Birmingham is still trying to complete (a major park in downtown Greenville, new arenas in Columbia & Greenville, a baseball stadium in Greenville); and it becomes kind of clear that not much has really happened in B'ham in the past ten years. I actually lived there back in the mid-'90's and IMO, downtown B'ham's really not that much different now, than then. Not to bash, but just my two cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Little Rock, bar none. With the Rivermarket, The Trolley, and of course, the Clinton Presidential Library, and improvements and development such as a new arena, new baseball stadium, inland maritime museum, and more planned development on the north side of the river in North Little Rock, and with the greatly increased market for condominiums on both sides of the river, Little Rock/ North Little Rock have made remarkable turn arounds from where they where 10 years ago.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts