?? - India
?? - Russia
?? - Canada

etc

Please post here :)

·
Mancunian Member
7,184 Posts
Manchester = All the commonwealth countries :) , well, we can hope!

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Birmingham hasn't been guaranteed the Chinese team but as long as we get the fiasco of the 50 metre swimming pool sorted out, then we should have a firm place in their favourites.

The Americans are only sending their track and field team to Birmingham.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I hadnt entertained this idea before. I presumed that every country would be based in London, hence the olympic village!? I hope that different countries athletes are spread about the country, but when 90% of events are in London, why would athletes want to be based in Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds etc?

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Why would athletes want to be based in Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds etc at all anyway?

;)

·
2,231 Posts
I don't know about which teams will be based where, but I do know that Broadwood Stadium in Cumbernauld could be used as a training venue for the Olympics and Paralympics.:colgate:

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
I've been there! Quite nice actually - though very big. Leeds has Huangzhou as it's twin (very similar sounding) - they are planning on giving us a Chinese gate - but the council can't decide where to put it, since the only 'Chinatown' type shops are being demolished for the Eastgate development.
I'm sure all the top 6/7 cities will be able to host decent nations for training purposes though.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The foreign athletes will be based in provincial British cities in the RUN UP to the Olympic Games, probably a couple of weeks before to acclimatise themselves. When the Games start, they will all move to London.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
will anything be reflected in these decisions other than it will all be run by quangos that will just send teams to the deisgnated 'regional capitals'?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Right as usual Tony. It will mean **** all, although I'm sure some people will see it as a masterstroke in one-upmanship and definately confirm that their city is clearly superior to ever other city in these isles, further confirming that their city along with the decision last week from wee ping pong of Hong Kong to open a call centre paying mininmum wage rates is on the verge of becoming a global mega city.

G

·
Birmingham - China + USA
Bristol - ??
Cardiff - ??
Leeds - ??
Liverpool - ??
London - ??
Manchester - ??
Sheffield - ??
Paris - ??

?? - Australia
?? - India
?? - Russia
?? - Canada

etc

Please post here :)
I think Bristol is doing some african Nations, For some reason places like Sweden also come to mind... Maybe we are hosting them aswell... Swedish Women... Bring it on...

·
Registered
739 Posts
I think Bristol is doing some african Nations, For some reason places like Sweden also come to mind... Maybe we are hosting them aswell... Swedish Women... Bring it on...
A lot of European teams aren't coming to Britain to acclimatise as they have similar climates and time zones anyway. It's mainly teams like the US, China, Australia and Canada who are looking for places to train leading up to the Olympics and there is also a good chance that the British cities will be competing against European cities for these teams especially as we really lack some facilities in this country i.e. 50m swimming pools.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
I was struggling to think of where best to put this.. so as the spectre of regional bias has been aired here.. then here it goes.

The latest from the Local Government Chronical.. bad news for those cities not blessed by statist world view!

BROWN'S VISION EMERGES

Chancellor's outriders lend support for radical regional devolution

By Dan Drillsma-Milgrom, finance reporter
The shape of local government policy under a Gordon Brown premiership is beginning to emerge following Treasury support for sweeping changes to regional governance.
Treasury ministers Ed Balls and John Healey, widely regarded as outriders for the prime minister-in-waiting have welcomed a swathe of proposals to boost local government at the regional level.
Both ministers put their names to the foreword of a report from the New Local Government Network, designed to feed in to the Treasury's sub-national review of economic development — expected to shake up regional governance arrangements.
Speaking at the launch of the report, Mr Healey said: "A greater devolution and role for local government is absolutely right. If we want to see more done in the regions then the leadership needs to be stronger and with that the scrutiny and accountability needs to be strong as well."
Under the NLGN's proposals, regional assemblies could be scrapped as part of a radical shake-up of England's sub-national tier of government.
The report proposes replacing regional development agencies with beefed-up "regional executive agencies" with powers over environment, housing and spatial planning.
Councils would be given more influence over regional affairs through greater powers to call-in or delay decisions.
Regions could also be assigned an MP to act as their minister, while government offices would transfer responsibility for service delivery functions such as Sure Start and Connexions to the regional
executive agencies.
The sub-national review of economic development is considering how to close the gap in economic prosperity between London and the south-east and the rest of England. It is expected to make recommendations on the best geographical levels and governance arrangements for regional decision-making.
Mr Healey hinted that the economic review could take a flexible approach to the types of body to drive regional economic growth.
"It is difficult to generalise about the regions of England. If it is difficult to generalise then it is difficult to standardise," he said. "Reform of administrative boundaries is a recipe for infinite inaction. We are looking at something that is flexible and bound to be variable."
NLGN director Chris Leslie, who co-authored the report, said that his aim was to simplify the number of bodies operating at the regional level.
"There are lots of agencies that stand free on their own tranche of policy, which actually could be integrated in a more sensible way," he said.
Tony Travers, director of the Greater London Group at the London School of Economics, said reducing the amount of regional clutter was likely to appeal to Mr Brown.
"It is hard to ignore the fact that two Treasury ministers so close to Mr Brown are choosing to take such an interest in the regional agenda," he said.
"There is no doubt that letting the number of bodies grow like Topsy is a very Blair thing to do and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Mr Brown wanted to thin things out — not least because the Tories will if he doesn't."
A Treasury spokesman confirmed that the sub-national review might not be released as a standalone report. Instead, its findings could be subsumed into the comprehensive spending review.

·
time for a change
795 Posts
Birmingham hasn't been guaranteed the Chinese team but as long as we get the fiasco of the 50 metre swimming pool sorted out, then we should have a firm place in their favourites.

The Americans are only sending their track and field team to Birmingham.
birmingham hasnt got any 50m swimmimg pools??? well for a start theres the gala baths in walsall, cant be the only one though :S

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
birmingham hasnt got any 50m swimmimg pools??? well for a start theres the gala baths in walsall, cant be the only one though :S
Walsall isn't part of Birmingham, I'm afraid. Walsall is a separate Metropolitan Borough to Birmingham. So Birmingham is still lacking in 50m swimming pools. :eek:hno:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts