Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Margela Schurkel
1,938 Posts
I think Singapore and Hong Kong deserve the first places as contrary to other countries, public housing plays a far greater role and encompasses the middle class, whereas in most countries public housing is only for the poor and lower class.

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
^^ I agree. Public housing in The Netherlands is good. In Belgium we have also great projects with complexes that almost look like they house wealthy people. But we also have a lot of crap too.

Those HK blocks are pretty much the horror itself if you'd ask me.

·
South East Nine
40,098 Posts
Some modern public housing in London.

This example is in my neighbourhood... old public housing units are being demolished, and these newer public housing units have been built:

Apartments:

Kidbrooke Village by se9_london, on Flickr

Apartments at City Point, Kidbrooke Village SE9 by se9_london, on Flickr

Apartments at Kidbrooke Village, SE9 by se9_london, on Flickr

Zipcars, a communal car sharing scheme:

Zipcars at Kidbrooke Village by se9_london, on Flickr

Terraced housing... all terraced houses have their own solar panels:

Townhouses at City Point, Kidbrooke Village SE9 by se9_london, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
I made some picturs in my hometown 2 years ago of Social housing. It's a small town so mo highrises is needed.:

Some build in the 90ties:

·
Premium Member
19,336 Posts
Generally I'd say Singapore, however, there are a few "public housing" type schemes in Sweden where the government builds them and lets them out on sub-market rates. The government company in Stockholm is called "Svenska Bostäder". You can see some of the stuff under construction right here. A new part of the Swedish ethos is to rather than ghettoise this kind of property, is to mix it with others. That is why there are very attractive SB properties in the middle of exclusive areas like Annedal or even Hammarby sjöstad where they even built student accommodation.

In many ways, this follows HDB where SB doesn't want to just be for poor people, but also to be more attractive for everyone too by building in good areas as well.

·
No More Italian Mod
39,838 Posts
^^
In last 30 years in Italy they did something similar. Instead of building public housing directly they gave authorization to private builders to build keeping part (or the whole) of the new buildings to sell at controlled prices or to let for public housing.

But substantially since '80s there were no more massive public housing interventions as in past decades.
Nowadys there is a new need for a massive public housing plan (since a decade at least) because of immigration. But nothing has happened still on national scale.

The tendence, anyway, is to build, unlike the past, public housing in a social mix context. With relatively little interventions and not whole boroughs as in the past

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.