Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always found it interesting to see other people's perspectives on which town or city reminds them of home. That city that you drive through or visit friends in and it makes you feel like you're smack at home.

For me, I feel like Asheville and Roanoke share a good deal of the same qualities. Although Roanoke is a bit larger, Asheville has more of a hip, urban vibe that I prefer. With that being said, I feel that they are both quite similar. Populations are relatively close, geography is similar, both act as the 'hubs' of the western part of their states, respectively.

What city reminds YOU of home? Richmond and Birmingham? Miami and....well, Miami?
(Although your home city needs to be located in the South/Southwest, your 'sister' city can be located anywhere in the country). BTW, tell us why!

:cheers:

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've been to many, many cities and there are only 2 that make me feel like I'm in Charlotte. And those 2 cities would be Atlanta & Wilmington

I've always said when I visit both that I felt like I was in Charlotte.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been to many, many cities and there are only 2 that make me feel like I'm in Charlotte. And those 2 cities would be Atlanta & Wilmington

I've always said when I visit both that I felt like I was in Charlotte.
Wilmington? Interesting.....how so? That would have never crossed my mind lol

·
Registered
710 Posts
Wilmington? Interesting.....how so? That would have never crossed my mind lol

Yeah. I dated someone from around the Mayfaire area and to me it looked like Charlotte. So I spent most of my time around that area and neighborhood. And when you're in Charlotte, and outside of uptown, you knew you were close to uptown and that was always exciting to me. And likewise while in Wilmington, while not at Wrightsville Beach, knowing I was close also was exciting.

Wilmington is one of my favorite places as is Atlanta and feel like they could be home to me. However, I prefer other cities for travel like NoLa, Boston etc

On a side note, to me, I always thought Charlotte, Winston-Salem and Wilmington were similar to eachother and Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro and Asheville were similar

·
12,487 Posts
Hmmm. I guess metro Atlanta would be my home and I've not found another place that feels the same to me. Charlotte has many comparable elements, some better, some not as much, but there's a different vibe and scale to it that I don't think it fits.

I'm told Dallas might be a close match. Both had little to obstruct or shape their growth in the 80's through today, so they're both overwhelmingly shaped by conventional suburban form now maturing into something more appealing. But from what I've seen they've a few differences that I couldn't say for sure without visiting.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hmmm. I guess metro Atlanta would be my home and I've not found another place that feels the same to me. Charlotte has many comparable elements, some better, some not as much, but there's a different vibe and scale to it that I don't think it fits.

I'm told Dallas might be a close match. Both had little to obstruct or shape their growth in the 80's through today, so they're both overwhelmingly shaped by conventional suburban form now maturing into something more appealing. But from what I've seen they've a few differences that I couldn't say for sure without visiting.

To me, Texas is Texas. Stronger Hispanic culture, state pride and a little cowboy going on.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would add Winston-Salem because of the historic industrial areas.

Jacksonville reminds me of Mobile in a way...I guess it's the ports and coastal location.
Winston-Salem seems so small to me compared to Richmond (and I assume B'ham). I guess where it shares the metro with Greensboro and High Point that it takes away from the feel of being "the" city in the metro.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I would add Winston-Salem because of the historic industrial areas.

Jacksonville reminds me of Mobile in a way...I guess it's the ports and coastal location.
Yeah, but I would think Mobile and New Orleans have the same historic, port city vibe.

Some would argue Birmingham and Memphis because of both cities civil rights history.

·
Registered
325 Posts
In all honesty, Charlotte is kind of unique. No major universities within close proximity of downtown, like Raleigh or Atlanta. No water feature, like Jacksonville, Miami, Louisville or Austin. None, or very few, historical buildings, unlike it's northern "peers" (Indy, Columbus, Cincinnati, ect.).

I've always said it's like a small Houston, if Houston were farther away from the coast. Or maybe similar to Orlando, minus the tourism? I dunno. It's just Charlotte.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Winston-Salem seems so small to me compared to Richmond (and I assume B'ham). I guess where it shares the metro with Greensboro and High Point that it takes away from the feel of being "the" city in the metro.
The downtowns of each city are in the same league, even if Richmond is a little larger...and the city populations are very close within similar areas. Neither Birmingham nor Richmond are significantly larger than W-S, and the industrial history and structures are very similar. Just the large tobacco presence alone is cause to compare Richmond and W-S. I guess the question isn't about size anyway, but about similarity.

I think the downtown universities add a lot of density to the skylines. I might throw Durham in there with the other three as well if it had more of a skyline, but the industrial history of Durham makes it comparable anyway.

Here is a pretty good shot of Winston-Salem, but the industrial east side isn't visible:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/ca/56/28/ca5628a8d7db883188b72d01edc53f81.jpg

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
In all honesty, Charlotte is kind of unique. No major universities within close proximity of downtown, like Raleigh or Atlanta. No water feature, like Jacksonville, Miami, Louisville or Austin. None, or very few, historical buildings, unlike it's northern "peers" (Indy, Columbus, Cincinnati, ect.).

I've always said it's like a small Houston, if Houston were farther away from the coast. Or maybe similar to Orlando, minus the tourism? I dunno. It's just Charlotte.
Charlotte will always be thrown into the same pot with Atlanta. They have some suburban similarities, but the downtowns are very different due to Atlanta's historical buildings/preservation. I think some people automatically think of the suburbs, but I automatically think of in-town/downtown areas when I compare cities.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
Yeah, but I would think Mobile and New Orleans have the same historic, port city vibe.

Some would argue Birmingham and Memphis because of both cities civil rights history.
Savannah/Mobile always reminded me of a smaller New Orleans...the historic port thing is pretty prominent in all 3 cities and both Savannah and NO both have a unique party vibe and a certain weirdness. I guess all of the Gulf Coast cities share some similarities too.

How about Jacksonville and Norfolk? The naval component is pretty strong in both cities. I also like the Memphis-Louisville comparisons...both river cities.

·
In Search of Sanity
3,689 Posts
When I was in Vancouver BC I felt an extreme sense of "been here before". I even saw a motorized cable car. And there's that bridge across the mouth of part of the harbor, the large Asian population and so much more. It was like SF redux.

·
Love me, love my dog...
3,075 Posts
When I was in Vancouver BC I felt an extreme sense of "been here before". I even saw a motorized cable car. And there's that bridge across the mouth of part of the harbor, the large Asian population and so much more. It was like SF redux.
If only one of them were in the Southeast... :nuts:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Norfolk is kinda like Buffalo and Baltimore.
The housing in the Ghent neighborhood is nothing like the rest of VA or the South. It's very German and Italian looking. Most other older neighborhoods look like Richmond and other Southern cities (Federal and Georgian). The four square houses look like everything from Northampton to Birmingham.

I'm not sure what cities remind me of Richmond
I'm too close to the source to be a good judge of that. I initially thought that Columbus OH and Richmond were similar but that's probably because I've lived there and sought out the things about the city I liked (the things that were familiar). State Capitol, big school in the middle of it, art town, comparable downtowns, very similar suburbs, big Victorian neighborhoods...
The people are nothing like Virginians. I was happy to leave but it really is a nice place to live.

Parts of Cincinnati remind me of the old commercial buildings along Broad Street in Richmond. I wish that we had even a 1/4 of them that Cincinnati has!

I went to Atlanta the first time expecting a big Richmond. That isn't the case at all. But the metro does remind me a whole lot of Northern Virginia.

Louisville seems a bit like Richmond. But again, I sought out the things that were like Richmond there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Charlotte will always be thrown into the same pot with Atlanta. They have some suburban similarities, but the downtowns are very different due to Atlanta's historical buildings/preservation. I think some people automatically think of the suburbs, but I automatically think of in-town/downtown areas when I compare cities.

Yep, it's a pretty impossible comparison for Charlotte to shake. And I agree, certainly from a suburban standpoint, they are almost exactly the same. The downtown's are quite different for exact reasons you've noted. Uptown (our downtown) Charlotte has more of a "mini downtown Houston" feel to me. Whereas Atlanta is almost forming like a northern lake city, with a long, dense, linear skyline, especially as Midtown and Downtown have now really molded into one large, unbroken urbanscape. IF Buckhead ever merges into Midtown...holy crap.

Weimie...out of curiosity. Have there been any talks in ATL to cap the portion of 85 that slices through Downtown and Midtown? Not the whole thing, but possibly from North Ave to Freedom Pkwy?

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The downtowns of each city are in the same league, even if Richmond is a little larger...and the city populations are very close within similar areas. Neither Birmingham nor Richmond are significantly larger than W-S, and the industrial history and structures are very similar. Just the large tobacco presence alone is cause to compare Richmond and W-S. I guess the question isn't about size anyway, but about similarity.

I think the downtown universities add a lot of density to the skylines. I might throw Durham in there with the other three as well if it had more of a skyline, but the industrial history of Durham makes it comparable anyway.

Here is a pretty good shot of Winston-Salem, but the industrial east side isn't visible:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/ca/56/28/ca5628a8d7db883188b72d01edc53f81.jpg
I can see your point on that. I grew up 40 minutes north of Winston-Salem, so it was where we went to shop, eat, to the hospital, etc. Many of my friends and neighbors still work for RJR Tobacco. So in that respect, I 100% agree to the similarities between W-S and Richmond. I just absolutely get a different feel when I'm in each city. Richmond, being a larger city in an earlier chapter, just feels larger. Winston is relatively quiet feeling, almost like a small city outside of the major shopping areas/hospital, etc. Even around Wake Forest, it's pretty quiet. It is definitely NOT quiet around VCU in downtown Richmond. University of Richmond and Wake Forest are very comparable, but as far as the overall city experience....I just get a whole different feel.

BTW- That's definitely a great shot of W-S.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts