• South America

Votes: 7 2.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
U gotta go with Asia man simply because we are talking of an entire continent. THe only thing North America has got going is USA which really in truth doesnt have that many impressive skyscrpaers...Just look at Tokyo, Hongkong, Shanghai, etc...massive impressive skylines

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I wanted to vote for Antarctica... Gooo penguins!!

Seriously though, Asia by far. Hong Kong and Shanghai already have some of the world's top 5, and add in Tokyo, Dubai, and a throng of other cities, you just cannot compete.

·
41,027 Posts
Depends on how the world changes... perhaps in the future world economy resource laden Oceania will fare a lot better than Europe (excluding Russia) which will mean we will keep our skyline edge ;)

That said even in reality it will take a while for some these cities, as prominent as they are, to catch Sydney and Melbourne or even Brisbane and Gold Coast. There are other factors such as public opposition to height in European cities.

You're underestimating the size of Europe. This is a continent with 23 times the population of Oceania. Even if Oceania develops 5 times faster on a per capita basis, Europe will probably build 4 times as many structures. Europe has arguably already caught up in just 20 years of building from fairly non-existent skylines everywhere.

You also can't exclude Europe's largest country because it doesn't fit your assertion. Russia is in Europe and this is a continent to continent comparison. Moscow is probably building more skyscapers than all of Oceania over the next 10 years. That's one city.

You may love Oceania, but you're letting it cloud your judgement. Oceania stacks up well, but to argue that it will keep up is wishful thinking. It's simply not mathematically possible. The poll seems to agree. Oceania may have had the edge up until now, but it is already being surpassed by Europe by this yardstick. That shouldn't take away from the fact that there area great skylines in Oceania. Europe's just a way bigger place. What is amazing is that it was even a close race.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I disagree. North American skylines have much more of a distinct variety in their skylines. A better contrast between old and new. Many Asian skyline have cookie cutter buildings. bigger is not always better. Hong Kong, Tokyo, Taipei and Shanghai are definitely the most identifiable.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
"I don't want to single you out because I hear this sort of argument all the time from fellow westerners. People in North America, Europe, and Oceania need to stop being so arrogant.

We build cities that speak to our culture and sensibilities. People from places like the Middle East or Far East are going to build cities that speak to theirs. Our way isn't the only way to build a city. Instead of being condescending and insulting, we should be thankful that they've chosen to do things their own way. It's refreshing and should be commended whether their design aesthetic appeals to us or not."

I agree but am very upset with how fast China is demolishing its ancient urban quarters.
Preservation is something that Asia lacks. I judge cities as if they were architectural timelines and I like to see the evolution right before me. China is very old but from a first glance it seems brand new.

·
Registered
327 Posts
^^

I tend to agree. Something I love about North America's best cities (Toronto, Chicago, Montreal, New York, etc) is that they're very much a patchwork of old and new. Sometimes new replaces old, and sometimes old buildings pepper a sea of newer ones. European cities have this too, but they tend to have historic districts separate from new skyscraper developments and such, which is also cool, but feels entirely different.

·
41,027 Posts
I prefer North American skylines too, but a significant factor is cultural bias. If you grew up in the Far East or the Middle East, your instinctual reaction to the North American design aesthetic is to view it as foreign and one that doesn't really speak to you.

It is only natural that North Americans are going to prefer North American design and Asians are going to prefer Asian design. We just need to recognize that some of our observations are valid, but a great deal of it is simply cultural bias. It's very difficult to be objective.

I also agree that the Far East and Middle East are making some of the same mistakes we made in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. We demolished the old in favour of the new with little consideration for historical value or architectural preservation. People there will come to see the importance of maintaining a link to their past, and hopefully, some of it will still remain when they've accumulated enough political power to make a difference.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I dont know why people keep saying tokyo. The japanese geography is different than Americas. If you just say tokyo it comprises of different cities so than i dont know whether you can actually race them. Anyway the top two cities with the most high rises are New York with nearly 6000 and Hong Kong with over 7000. Buildings in asia are not versatile.

101 - 120 of 225 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.