SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,617 Posts
Not all north African countries.Many are not even resourceful as you might think--I have gone through length and breadth of all North African countries which is going to get behind many African countries as the world sees to development in those countries of sub-saharan.Lybia,tunisia are exempted from being African Lion or African Tiger in the likeness of the Asian's in decade to come. We can look closely to the topic "Which countries will emerge as the "African Lion" Economies" and what's so exertive is "emerging" which Nigeria is well agnized.Despite delibrating issues it's still the emerging African lion to be followed by Egypt.As present SA is the African Lion.I heard most of the industries in Nigeria are already doing what SAs are doing--reaching out to other countries within the sub-region.

· Registered
5,617 Posts
Cool!what a good question.From the scheme of things these countries have had good contact with the developed nations for too long still in the stage of trying to emerge comparing it to those in the sub-saharan that are ranked among the fastest growing economies in Africa.Beside,my judgement was based upon my visit to those two countrie.They are less resourceful in terms of human resources compared to some sub-saharan emerging countries.It's almost seem like an hindrance for scanty population of lybians to implement industrial base economy---not only that they wait for others to do it for them.As for Tunis,it's well below the group of being emerging African lion cos there are many other sub-saharan African countries that seem to be more vibrant,like Nigeria,Kenyan,South Africa.Meanwhile,I personally don't have any problem with those two countries of North Africa.Am not an economist but industries are best situated in location of resources and cheap labour force before considering other factors though might be having overweighing effects. On the long run I personally or more generally don't think those two nations(of north Africa) among many others in the continent as an emerging African lion.Far from being it at this time.They might well fall into the group of tiger of Africa not comparing them to the Asians.

· Registered
5,617 Posts
I can largely subscribe to what you said!

Only two remarks:

Where did you hear from that Nigeria´s non-oil sector makes up a bigger percentage of its GDP? That´s new to me! Unfortunately, Naija is still heavily depenedent on oil and gas! As far as an increase in non-oil production is concerned, yes, you are right, this has occured but its percentage on the GDP scale is still marginal

Angola: I don´t think that the economy will decline due to lack of expertise, I talked to a few guys on SSC and from what I read, no Angola is something like a "gold rush" country and more and more people are beginning to set foot in the tertiary sector. You get a lot of well educated Angolan people abroad, you have got the tons of expats for the time being ( some of whom might eventually make up their mind to create their own business in Angola, in Africa many people came first as experts but decided to stay) and do not forget the growing number of so-called "retornandos", people that all bring their knowledge to Angola. So a declining economy which means minus growth won´t happen in Angola, the economy will most likely slow but not for the time being! (for the next five years)
Sorry that I don't usually like to make comments in this section for some reasons. But, if you take a closer look at what he meant by the word "the largest GDP is now coming from non-oil sector " you will find out that it might likely be true. The oil sector,though, is the largest single foreign income earner for the country still, not the largest gross domestic product of the entire nation in absolute comparison - the oil sector should employ less than the banking sector,minning, Agriculture, manufacturing,construction industry,telecommunication, etc combine together and the total expenditure in these sectors is surpassing that of oil at the moment. The diversity is what I think he's pin-pointing out for us here, Mathias, not actually the single largest national income revenue generator.

· Registered
5,617 Posts
From the last World Economic Forum 2008, the emerging market nations that were of interest from Africa were Egypt and Nigeria (If we are to leave out South African which has already emerged). The basic things they used to measure these economies were mainly growth, returns, progress in trade volume and prices, foreign returns, stable government and infrastructure(which were the major hurdles for Nigeria to fair behind the others as an emerging economy),etc factors.If we are going to go by emerging economy factors my list would look like this:

1. Nigeria (Largely due to the regional market strategy and consumer population)
2. Egypt

These other nations can follow in this order:

3. Morocco
4. Algeria(If only it diversified its economy)
5. Angola
6. Kenya

· Registered
5,617 Posts
Nigeria isn't an emerging market yet...but it will be one soon. Though its banks may be large, compare them to South Africa's banks for example and they don't look so large. So whilst they may be big, they aren't big enough yet. The keyword being yet.
Compare to SA banks Nigeria's aren't actually as large but near as large. Zenith bank among large banks in Nigeria has an asset of over 50 billion dollars which is not too bad. SA cannot be a yard stick to measure emerging market of which all know is already among the club.

However, the world Economic Forum 2008 accept Nigeria and Egypt as the only seen emerging marketeconomies in Africa as at 2008. I am not trying to disrespect any other country in Africa. Yet , Nigeria needs to do moe than the other to really be called emerging economy like in the areas of investing massively on infrastructure, beefing up the security system, embracing a stable government, etc. Of which many other countries in Africa are doing well like in the case of Morocco, Tunis, Mauritius, Senegal ( that alone cannot be used at a measure too). I think Nigeria has a very high returns from its expatriates which is a very considerable factor of some emerging market economies.

· Registered
5,617 Posts
I was speaking about countries that may become fully developped in recent years,i thought about including Morocco or Egypt but they have too much poverty.Nigeria is out contest in this field :lol:
I thought you missed the mark. They said African Lion Economies not infrastructure development. Well, can you explain better for us how Tunisia will be emmerging African lion economy and Nigeria, Egypt,etc not? Don't forget Nigerian or Egyptian economy is far larger than that of Tunisian.

· Registered
5,617 Posts
3 Nigerian banks are listed in Forbes 2008 2000 world largest company list. I think banking sector in Nigeria is receiving a boost, the telecommunication industry also,even the infrastructure(though, lot need to be done in this area) yet Tunisia can't be African lion without Nigeria, Egypt or Morocco not included on the list.

I understand what you are trying to explain,Shield.You are generalizing in a layman view economic development yet is beyond country infrastructure and diversity seen on daily basis. It absolutely correct to say that the potential of Nigeria becoming the African Lion economy is certained, though, with an unpredictable government(slow to fix the infrastructure,diversified the economy quickly as possible,curbing the Niger-delta issue, etc).

Tunisia in African continent is poised yet comparing it to Egypt and Nigeria in economies to a larger extent is absurd. I agree Tunisia has alot to contribute to Africa as whole but, let's not mixe things together in this regard.

· Registered
5,617 Posts
You are using per capital income to judge an economy,I don't think that is good idea all byitself .Most countrie in Africa are helping out with development in Africa too. SA, Nigeria, Egypt,Morocco,etc and they are exchanging technical know-how between these countries.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.