SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Which countries will emerge as the "African Lion" Economies

63326 Views 344 Replies 104 Participants Last post by  mouadh25
Now that African economies are growing faster then ever:banana: . Which countries in Africa do you think will emerge as the "African Lion":cheers: economies and industrialize first. I think that South Africa, Kenya, Senegal and if they could get things together Nigeria.
341 - 345 of 345 Posts
Qatar isn't that rich as you think, its debt was payed by the country next to it. The UAE is much richer and payed for most of the things we see now in Qatar, heck without the UAE there would be no Qatar of today.
Qatar was once almost bankrupt.
They didn't had a good leader. Only after the coup in 1995 the country started to rise as never seen before . They new emir invested in LNG, opend up, liberalized many sectors etc

Oman was till 1970 one of the poorest nations in the world with only 16 km of road, one hospital etc.
It was the coup in 1970 who brought a better leader..

Good leadership is essential
That is what I said. Qatar economy only started to rise since 2000. In the nineties they were in big economic problems. They were almost bankrupt in the nineties. The new emir who came to power by a coup started investing in big LNG projects and started reforming the economy.
The big investments in LNG and opening of most sectors made the difference..

UAE, Kuwait etc were always more richer then Qatar.
Qatar isn't that rich as you think, its debt was payed by the country next to it. The UAE is much richer and payed for most of the things we see now in Qatar, heck without the UAE there would be no Qatar of today.
thats an intresting topics to be reviving
For the economy to rise substaintielly i believe that the countries must invest in prior in thhe human ressources and the standards of living of its population, by that i mean access to education, free healthcare, electricity, ..etc. Without that basics the economy can rise with a hight growth rate btu it cant be sustainable.. as we can see on the so Called African Lions ... i am afraid that those growth rate will not be for long.

And there is an indice for that the HDI The Human Developement Index that i think its a faire indication of how a country is developped in that regard.
Reactions: SaleheRehani
341 - 345 of 345 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.