Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Banned
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most countries tend to have a standardised infrastructure design which looks the same all over the country, such as road layout, pavements, traffic light design, intersection design, etc.

Which country would you say has the most asthetic infrastructure and urban planning?

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
USA and most of the saxon countries.

·
Oh No He Didn't
5,297 Posts
USA/Canada (regarding standardization)?

Each state/province (and even city) in North America has different specifications regarding traffic light design and roadway standards.

And the two examples I posted earlier are located in the same exact state (New York).

·
Registered
16,502 Posts
The USA is so diverse its impossible to throw it all in one pot. Many especially rural parts of Texas, save some major exceptions, look terrible and completely run down with very little concern given to how infrastructure looks like.

Where highways are renovated or new, they are among the best looking however.

On the East coast cities tend to have nice pave works etc. Nice to look at. But many cities have big cable messes above ground. That looks a bit seedy sometimes. On average however, I'd say that infrastructure, when it is done pedestrian friendly in the US it looks better than let's say in Vienna.

·
Premium Member
19,457 Posts
I would say Japan is the most standardised and aesthetically pleasing from what I've experienced anyway when it comes to roads. Nearly all road lines are perfectly painted, the markings are clear and consistent and pedestrians are nearly always considered even if they do have to wait a little long to cross (and there aren't as many light-free crossings in Japanese cities compared to elsewhere).

When it comes to public transport, new Japanese structures are nice but the old railway stations are a bit basic (though clearly labelled). I would rate the UK has highest for aesthetics of their overall train fleet, Japan for the aesthetics of high speed rail. Germany has some of the most consistent station designs for metros and mainline stations (when they're not covered with graffiti), Sweden has the nicest metro trains I've come across (even though there is only one metro system here). The nicest buses probably goes for a toss-up between a number of different European countries.

·
South East Nine
40,116 Posts
The USA is so diverse its impossible to throw it all in one pot. Many especially rural parts of Texas, save some major exceptions, look terrible and completely run down with very little concern given to how infrastructure looks like.

Where highways are renovated or new, they are among the best looking however.

On the East coast cities tend to have nice pave works etc. Nice to look at. But many cities have big cable messes above ground. That looks a bit seedy sometimes. On average however, I'd say that infrastructure, when it is done pedestrian friendly in the US it looks better than let's say in Vienna.
I'd say urban too. I took this photo in an inner/urban district of San Antonio, Texas a few weeks ago (at the junction of Cactus St and Nevada St on the Eastside): http://www.flickr.com/photos/se9/7564364304/in/set-72157630563044766

·
PRESIDENT OF SPACE
1,794 Posts
So does Queretaro use Euro-style blue signs everywhere? Wow, that's funky. I guess there are some limited situations in Canada where blue and green signs mix, on the 400 highways in Ontario.

Whatever... blue signs, green signs...

Houston has PURPLE!!!!

photo: Uh, think this one belongs to ChrisZwolle. I can't get to the flickr page.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/1/3113055_b7b36de103_o.jpg

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
So does Queretaro use Euro-style blue signs everywhere? Wow, that's funky. I guess there are some limited situations in Canada where blue and green signs mix, on the 400 highways in Ontario.

Whatever... blue signs, green signs...

Houston has PURPLE!!!!

photo: Uh, think this one belongs to ChrisZwolle. I can't get to the flickr page.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/1/3113055_b7b36de103_o.jpg
blue signs in Mexico are for touristic points, hospitals, malls, etc, but i guess those names in the sign are towns, towns and destinations are in green here, so i guess its only in Queretaro!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.