Skyscraper City Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For North America it's USA no doubt about it.

For Asia, i think it's South Korea, it's movie stars and singers are conquering Asia, a Korean actor become so popular in Japan that many Japanese would visit Korea to see that actor.

For Europe, maybe UK? it sure has some great bands. But not many countries in europe have english as their first language, but that shouldn't be a big problem i guess.

Latin America: mexico? but famous mexico celebrities are all in Hollywood, that's a minus. What about Brazil? and Central American countries?

and what about Africa?

·
Banned
269 Posts
Sen of course its the UK

Its the second biggest music industry in the world and has produced the best selling bands eve.

Even this is obvious yet people still try and find ways around it :sleepy:

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
North America: America
Europe: I'd think UK but then I also think of a lot of other European countries...
Asia: Japan or S. Korea
Latin America: this is a hard one but I think I'll go with Mexico.

·
Registered
557 Posts
In Europe, music from the UK and US dominate the charts. In England, we get very little music from the continent, its mainly our own stuff, and stuff from the US

·
Banned
269 Posts
pottebaum said:
Didn't American artists dominate the European awards this year?
Well the MTV awards because MTV nominate them and not the public, which aggrivates Europeans very much.

**** it I give up, The British arent even being recognised as having the best music in Europe even though anyone in the music industry will tell you the best and most varied music. comes from the British Isles.

·
Minneapolis
2,032 Posts
I posted this a month or so ago; just look what an influence the US has in the UK:

Anyhow, since we are being specific by continent, I'd say the UK has a huge influence in Europe---lots of great music rolling out of there.

·
Minneapolis
2,032 Posts
Citrus-Fruit said:
What we have an interest in the world?

Shame you guys dont .... The same could be said for British sport reported in the States
It's great you have an interest in the world....but MORE THAN HALF of the front page stories on the BBC entertainment page were specific to the United States.

BTW: I rarely hear British sports being mentioned in our media. Not sure what you're talking about.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think we look to the US too much in all aspects!! I got sick of the coverage our news channels gave to the Presidential elections. Who cares, as long as they tell us who won, not that bothered about seeing all the flashy, hyped up, over the top showboating the US elections are all about. "Look at me, I'm so great, I fought in wars, I've got a great family, I love my country blah blah blah" :bash:
Its not politics, its just a popularity contest. And it goes on for 2 years, and costs millions of $, its ridiculious!!!

·
Expert
6,905 Posts
2 years? More like a year at most. Names come up long before the next election, like right now Clinton's name is showing up a lot, but that's not campaigning. That only starts with the primary elections in states and then the candidates get very serious once they have been given their party's ticket. By that time it is summer.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ok, but still, the UK election campaigning only goes on for a month, and that seems a long time!! I understand the US is a big country, but come on!!!

·
Banned
7,712 Posts
N-America: USA
S-America: Brazil
Britain: England
Continent: I'm afraid it's either Sweden or Italy
N-Africa: Egypt
Africa: Senegal & Mali
Asia: India (Mumbai/Bombay)

World: UK

France has a wide reach with the large African and Arab communities while Germany is still ahead on the electronic music stage (festivals in the Messetürm in FFM :banana: )

Sweden has quite a few artists in the UK charts (Eric Prydz, The Hives, Roxette, Europe, Abba, no Håkan Lidbo yet but soon come!) while charts in many other countries are dominated by Italian artists whose names I can't even spell correctly. The Dutch are masters at cheap and vulgar bopping noises. UK & Europe combined would have England as King.
And of course the USA dominates with bland and boring mass products but frankly I find most popular US music dreadfully annoying. Meant to sell jeans and cars.
Harare and Kinshasa used to have great music scenes but most of that has vanished. Addis-Abeba must have been great in the 1970's. Philips held offices there and a wealth of Ethiopean jazz was released.

Overall The UK has the best, and BBC Radio is the unrivalled champion of squeezing quality into daytime radio. The UK also is the one country where sales didn't slump.

And overall, Africa is where most ideas and songs are being stolen by greedy people from elsewhere. It's really sickening to know how for instance The Lion Sleeps Tonight was credited to the wrong person. Glenn Miller was a similar thief. 'In The Mood' is a complete rip-off. There was an excellent radio show in Brussels by the name of Domino that scientifically traced back many of those falsely claimed copyrights. It's a shame organisations like UNESCO never followed the trail that Domino show had set up. People should be dragged into court and forced to pay damages. :rant:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Asia: India (Mumbai/Bombay) ????

Indian pop culture has VERY limited reach to the eastern Asia... where the
LARGEST market in Asia is located.

It is mostly a phonomenon in the Indian culture influenced countries , I guess.

I know that the pop culture has a lot of crappy side and mostly it is ALL about the
image.

So the Pop culture leaders of the region = The most Affluent countries in the region,
and India does not belong to that category in the Asian continent as a whole.

·
Banned
7,712 Posts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/asiannetwork/index.shtml?logo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/urban/bobbyandnihal/

no one outside the region you mention ever picked up an album, unless someone sent cantonese covers of madonna to john peel

a CD is not a rich man's article like a car or something
world wide sales of bollywood, or punjabi bhangra outnumber those of yiang chu yen (?)
I've got plenty of Lata Mangeshkar, Ashle Boshle, Mohammed Rafi and traditional and urban dance like Bally Sagoo. You just don't know how much you're missing.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.