SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Which team will win the next championship?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We seem to be in an era of competitive pro sports locally. Who's got the best shot at winning the next championship for the state?

Registered
I鈥檇 like to say Bucks but I think the Packers still have the best chance. The window is rapidly closing on them as teams in the NFC improve, particularly the Vikings. The Brewers have a pretty good shot the next few years, hinging on what starting pitching they sign and if Braun stays healthy/productive.

Registered
I think Packers as well. The Bucks are very exciting to watch but we're last in the NBA in rebounding and our interior defense isn't great. Beating the 'super teams' like the Warriors/Rockets and potentially Celtics (they've been missing their stud FA signing Hayward all year!) will be tough.

For better or worse, I feel like upsets are much more difficult in the NBA since you have to go best of 7 which gives a better team more time to overcome off games or slow starts. In the NFL a master game plan or a few unlucky turnovers can result in the better team being upset. With #12 under center, he pretty much automatically guarantees we will have a chance to win any game we play. Since it's 1 and done in the NFL post season I think that makes it more likely we can snag a championship in the next 4-5 years.

I'm not intentionally overlooking the Brewers but baseball seems to have a lot more variability year in / year out. A stud pitcher regresses one year and a lesser known prospect takes off the next. I think our offense will be ready to compete this year and for the next few years... but will we have the pitching to seriously contend?

Registered
I really don't see another SB win for the Packers for a long while. Yes, a healthy Rodgers makes a gigantic difference, but the rest of the NFC has caught up. The Packers have not been a great drafting team for at least half a decade. As we all saw last year, this team is not very good in the absence of the league's most valuable player. Think of who the Packers beat without Rodgers: the Bears, Browns, and Buccaneers. Against any decent team, they fell apart. And each one of those wins was close, requiring some late game heroics to even pull out the W.

I feel like this is a 9-7, 10-6 team at the very best next year. My heart tells me 8-8. On the plus side, I like their rookie RB tandem. I think Montgomery can go back to WR. Jordy and Cobb suffered without Rodgers, so having him back dramatically helps the WR corps. Adams proved himself the 2nd most valuable player on the team. I also think the O-Line is going to be a lot better. I'm excited that Capers was finally forced out, and some new schemes might mask some deficiencies.

On the negative side, everyone is a year older...Rodgers seems a lot more soured on the franchise than in years past. I don't know that Allison or Janis are ever going to be even W#3 guys. The Packers desperately need a TE. Bennett was one of the worst signings in recent memory in terms of team fit. Jordy is now 33 with less than 500 receiving yards in 2017, Cobb less than 700. Cobb hasn't been great since 2013, honestly. Allison and Janis are both free agents, but on their body of work - do they deserve a new contract? The 2010-2011 core of this team is really old, history shows us that teams with a large number of players who move into the mid-30's decline rapidly. They can be okay one year and completely in the tank the next year. I still think this team has maybe one more year of relevance, and then some serious rebuilding years ahead. We've been insanely lucky to have 2 legitimate rebuilding years since 1992 where they were out of contention early on.

To me, everything they did in 2017 was botched. They rode a QB who regressed with more playing time. After the Panthers loss, what would it hurt to play Callahan QB? I also didn't agree with pitching Taysom Hill...I truly hope the new GM knows what he was doing because Thompson was coasting on his reputation for years.

Registered
It is the Brewers and it is not even close imo.

The Bucks are talented, yes, but they are a long way from being a championship caliber team. How do you expect anyone to beat Golden state. I love the Bucks but you guys are drinking too much of their Kool-Aid. They have bad contracts, a weak bench, and no one but Giannis can grab boards. If they can keep their core intact and get a center as well as some better roll players, watch out.

The Packers always have a shot as long as #12 is there, but that defense is awful and bringing in a DC with the same basic scheme isn't going to help much until they get better players. Lets see how the draft and free agency shape out and maybe my opinion will change.

The Brewers have something special right now. That line looks like it will put up a lot of runs. If they manage to land an ace they are going to be a really good team, if they don't make it to at least the NLDS I will be disappointed. I am beyond excited for this team.

That being said, our pro teams are going to be fun to watch the next few years. They should all have good seasons.

Registered
I鈥檇 like to say Bucks but I think the Packers still have the best chance. The window is rapidly closing on them as teams in the NFC improve, particularly the Vikings. The Brewers have a pretty good shot the next few years, hinging on what starting pitching they sign and if Braun stays healthy/productive.
Brewers success does not depend on Braun anymore. He was a non factor last year and they had a great year. Braun playing well is just a cherry on top. Hope they really move him to first.

Registered
For me, I think the Bucks have the best chance. That said, their window is very slim. Given the aggregation of talent, it will take a significant luxury tax overage to keep them together after the 2018-2019 season. I think if Jabari plays to his potential and everyone gets healthy - this is a VERY deep team. I think the Zeller pickup was a mistake, but many of the moves done in the past few years have been shrewd. I can see this team getting on a magical run and playing lights out. Their ceiling - when they're on, they look almost unbeatable.

The Brewers will probably have a similar record to last year. They played above their pay grade in 2017, and now I think they play at it. The need some better starting pitching - no Garza is a big help. I think Anderson, Nelson, Davies, and Suter are pretty solid. I hope Nelson comes back the same type of player. One more major arm as a #1 or #2 guy would be huge. I really like the Yelich signing. I think Cain will backfire. I see Arcia get a lot better while Santana and Shaw might regress. I hope Aguilar gets 1st crack at playing everyday, and I think Villar bounces back in a big way. Because I see different players progressing and regressing - I think they win 86-88 games and sneak in as a WC team. I like the coaching staff though. I really think Counsell has his guys ready to play every game, and they always seem to play hard.

Registered
For me, I think the Bucks have the best chance. That said, their window is very slim. Given the aggregation of talent, it will take a significant luxury tax overage to keep them together after the 2018-2019 season. I think if Jabari plays to his potential and everyone gets healthy - this is a VERY deep team. I think the Zeller pickup was a mistake, but many of the moves done in the past few years have been shrewd. I can see this team getting on a magical run and playing lights out. Their ceiling - when they're on, they look almost unbeatable.
The Brewers will probably have a similar record to last year. They played above their pay grade in 2017, and now I think they play at it. The need some better starting pitching - no Garza is a big help. I think Anderson, Nelson, Davies, and Suter are pretty solid. I hope Nelson comes back the same type of player. One more major arm as a #1 or #2 guy would be huge. I really like the Yelich signing. I think Cain will backfire. I see Arcia get a lot better while Santana and Shaw might regress. I hope Aguilar gets 1st crack at playing everyday, and I think Villar bounces back in a big way. Because I see different players progressing and regressing - I think they win 86-88 games and sneak in as a WC team. I like the coaching staff though. I really think Counsell has his guys ready to play every game, and they always seem to play hard.
I agree with a lot of that. Zeller move doesn't impress me but it is another big body with experience, which they really could use. Thon gets bodied down low and cant control rebounds. He shouldn't be playing the 5 spot at all at this point in his career. We are still missing some veteran depth on the bench, maybe they can pick up someone who gets bought out to help with that. I am excited for tonight's game because the Heat have owned the Bucks so far this season and I am interested how the team will adjust under Prunty.

For the Brewers, I think everyone just under estimated the talent on the team. I can see them winning 90+ this year. It will be a tough division to win however. They overpaid for Cain but it is a great addition. He has great defense and hits for a decent average. 2nd, catcher, and an ace is all we need, so a big part of their success this year will be Villar for sure and I agree he will have a better year (hard for him not too. :lol:) You're right about Councell, he gets the most out of his guys. I would like another starter but at the same time I don't want them to overpay for Yu or Arrieta though. I am so excited for this summer.

Registered
I wouldn't mind Yu or Arrieta IF we could get either for 2 years. I'd be really reluctant to do anything over that because Yu has a bad history with injuries and Arrieta has a TON of innings over the past five years. Arrieta has put together solid seasons in Chicago, but he was 28 before he'd put together a decent season. Assuming they are available, I really like either Archer or Cobb from TB as lock down #1 starters. I also hope they use Yo in a reserve role with the occasional pinch start. Much as I love everything he did in a Brewers uni, he's not the same guy - best to use his arm sparingly. Toeknee, do you think Pina has any staying power? At .280 with 9 hrs, he had some decent pop. I can't remember though, did he call a good game, and how was his defense?

Registered
馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just can't remember a time when all three pro sports teams from the state were all this competitive. I think it ought to be safe to predict that all three teams should be in their respective playoffs this year and next (barring unforeseen injuries to key players, of course).
The Bucks are proving that they actually do have quite a bit of depth lately, which almost always translates into postseason success.

Registered
I thought Pina was a nice surprise last year. I haven't really looked at any advanced stats on him but he was solid behind the plate last year. He threw a pretty decent % of runners out. He only started like 80 games and had under 400 AB and with not a whole lot of MLB experience you have to wonder if he can sustain that level of play. I like him though. It will probably be another platoon with him a Vogt again but Manny should get most starts imo.

I would love Yu or Arrietta for the right price, but that probably wont happen. The guys from Tampa would be great too.

I'll admit I am a homer for the Brewers so my expectations are probably a little too high, but I really like the way this roster is looking already. I think they should go for it all in the next 2-3 years

Registered
I would say the Brewers and Bucks are the most likely to win. I picked the Brewers in the poll because I love the changes they've made so far and are still in the running to pick up a top notch starter. I'm just very excited for them this year. Bucks are very close also but don't think it will happen this year, maybe next?

Until the Packers answer the questions I have about their defense I don't see them winning another Super Bowl any time soon.

Registered
馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑馃毑
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, I thought I鈥檇 crack this open again a year after I initially posted it. Amazing to see how many people were completely wrong about the Packers who were basically irrelevant this last season.
The Brewers made a strong run through 7 games in the NLCS and could be poised for another great 90+ win year.

But I鈥檓 going back to my original belief when I posted this in February of 2018: of all the pro teams here, the Bucks have the best chance of winning the next championship.

How incredible would a Bucks NBA championship be followed by a Brewers World Series win in 2019? Milwaukee would be at the center of the universe going into 2020!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.