Civilization
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well what is it?

·
Banned
5,987 Posts
Not exactly politically correct now are we? :D

I would imagine a medium sized city. Not sure which one. Certainly not the largest ones which have drawn people from other parts of Mexican socity for opportunity.

And as a side note, why did you mention the French? There has never been historically a large French contribution to the Mexican population.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In the south there si a town were almost all people is from french origin, since they were conquered by french army in the XIX century... Ixtepec is the town, all the girls have green or blue eyes for example.

I think the highest % of whites in Mexico are in the north, probably Mexicali, Monterrey, somewhere about...

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was born in Guadalajara, and my mother's grandparents were french.. France invaded Mexico in 1862 but was defeated. Some French stayed, obviously not as much as the Spaniards.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Don't think that Mexico's census counts race.

But of the major Mexican cities, I'm sure its Monterrey.

Isn't that where Vicente Fox is from?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Not sure if the question asks about "actual europeans" or Mexicans of European descent.

I'm not sure that there is any particular city with a noticeable concentration of criollos but if there was I would imagine it to be mainly cities in the northern part of the country. In Colonial times, Criollos occupied government, clergy and merchant posts which favored city living (MC, Guadalajara, Guanajuato, and ofcourse costal towns like Tampico and Vera Cruz).

But you know, many criollos were not pure Spanish...but many were allowed to pass as Criollos because they looked "Spanish" enough (they were approx 3/4 Spanish or more...they actually had established a hiearchy of Spanishness, not just in Mexico, but in other Latin American countries, and they had names like criollo, mestizo, quarto, cholo, indio etc.) Today, this is largely irrelevant, and is naturally viewed as more harmful than beneficial to a country like Mexico, plus criollos have further mixed with mestizos, and mestizos have furthered mixed with indians, etc. Still, the money-power-elite factor is still there, and typically an elite Mexican looks more Spanish than indian, since 1) money/businesses is still largely a family thing, and 2) to look indian still has a connotation with "lower-class"/servitude among the elite. But it's really more the money-power thing, rather than race thing. In fact, Mexico is surprisingly less racist than the U.S. IMO, however, since money tries to marry into money, the white-Mexican elite cycle results more as a side-effect, rather than as exclusively intentional.

For some reason in the South Mexicans tend to have more indian features...especially around Mexico City (Aztec) and Yucatan (Mayan). I use to think that Mexico City had a lot of whites because of the look that Mexican soap-operas present, which often are meant to take place there, but I think those actors come from all over Mexico and even elsewhere in Latin America. Percentage-wise, MC people are more Indian.

Also, apart from being fewer, the indians in the Northern part of Mexico ressembled more the Native Americans of the U.S. Southwest, (i.e. Pueblo Indians), which were a bit more fair-skin.

·
Registered
170 Posts
^^^^^
Why? this sounds more of a discussion on a unique cultural phenomenon. I sense no ill will or negativity with this thread. Just calm down.

·
American't
758 Posts
Actually, I've kinda wondered this... isn't about 9% of Mexico's population caucasian? I've wondered where they were mostly concentrated, becuase Mexico doesn't seem like a country that is often familiarized with whites.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
liat91 said:
^^^^^
Why? this sounds more of a discussion on a unique cultural phenomenon. I sense no ill will or negativity with this thread. Just calm down.
Experience. Threads about "race" in Latin American countries have proven to be some of the most conflictive in Latinscrapers.

I say discussing "race", including subjetcs such as "who belongs in which race", "how many people of this or that race are there in X place", etc., are as conflictive and divisive (and pointless) as discussions over which religion is better. This does not belong in SSC, in my opinion.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Chihuahua in % the state of Chihuahua received lots of German and Dutch inmigrants (about 40% of the people in the state of Chihuahua are white) also Jalisco (Guadalajara/ Altos de Jalisco and many other towns) got a lot of French and other European inmigrants, Puebla (Germans due to the Volkswagen plant) and Monterrey also have a large number of whites, Mexico City of course but along with the large quantity of white people come a lot of mestizos and indians, to my city (Leon) arrived and keep arriving italians due to the leather and shoe bussiness

Other states with a significant % of whites are Michoacan (spaniards from the civil war) and Veracruz (also has some black population actually!) Sinaloa, Baja California (mostly americans) and Durango

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I went to Cozumel, and that part of Mexico has very few whites. All the locals appeared to be very Aztec looking.

From what I've heard of how things are in Mexico, the 10% of the population that's (mostly) white runs the industries, the government, and controls the wealth. And unlike America where you've got this business of affirmitive action and racial sensitivity and whatnot, in Mexico the white elite just denies that there are racial differences amongst the Mexican people. They say that all Mexicans belong to one race, and thus deny the obvious fact that whites are on top and keep the Mestizos/Indians down.

·
Registered
171 Posts
States with the highest percentage

In terms of whites, mostly the northern states are those with the highest percentage, the states with the highest percentage are Sonora, Sinaloa, Baja California, Nuevo León, Durango, Jalisco and Aguascalientes.

The cities with the highest percentage are Hermosillo, Mexicali, Culiacán, Aguascalientes, Guadalajara and Monterrrey.

The cities of the centre, such as Mexico City are mostly composed by mixed population or native population, and whites compose the highest social class.

In the south, there are mostly natives, and happens the same thing: Whites are mostly in the highest economical classes.

In therms of French population, the states with the highest percentage are without any doubt, Jalisco and Aguascalientes. And the region with the highest French populataion is Los Altos de Jalisco, in the state of Jalisco, and actually several places in Aguascalientes are being populated of people from this region.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have also heard there are some direct German concentrations in Guadalajara. I was amazed at how much Vicente Fox's light compexion was. I have heard he is of Irish descent. For anyone who says this is stupid or its gonna be locked shut up. Go somewhere else for crying out loud. This is a nice peaceful discussion so far. Grow up!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.