SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duluth, Rochester, and Saint Cloud are all growing communities.

Which do you think will hit 100,000 residents first? Soon, Saint Cloud will be linked to the Twin Cities via commuter rail, and Rochester's medical draw continues to fuel expansion. Will Duluth continue its plateau in population, grow, or decline?

What do you thinK?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Inevitably, it will be Rochester at around 2010-11. Its growing at about a rate 1,500 per year according to the last decades census trends. Rochester's downtown is amazing and it was voted the healthiest city in America by some article i found online (i can't remember which). It just needs a 4 year university.

St. Cloud is experiencing similar growth as Rochester but theres only around 60-65k people there right now. It will hit that mark, but not for about 15 years or so. It has as many businesses as some cities over 100k (huge mall, two Targets etc...) and an actual CBD. The NW corridor rail will be bigger for St. Cloud's metro growth and not as much the city growth.

Duluth will probably grow because recently there has been a trend of rural residents wanting to move to larger cities especially in Northern MN. IMO, Duluth is probably the most beautiful city in MN and shouldn't have too much of a problem selling itself to college grads and young families.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have no idea how to answer the question, but I will say that Duluth looks GORGEOUS. I was just looking at pics of it the other day and I was SHOCKED and very pleasantly so.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I really haven't a clue which city will grow fastest, but I'd really like to see Duluth prosper, after a decade or so of rejuvenation. Duluth used to be a bleak, grungy-ass city. It's really taken a 180 degree turn.

Downtown/Superior Street really looks great, considering it's only a city of 86,000. With it's location on Lake Superior and hilly topography, Duluth has the potential to be an amazing city. Still looks pretty bad in West Duluth next to the harbor, though.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If Rochester doesn't do it, my bet would probably be on Bloomington, just because Twin Cities suburbs in general are booming.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rochester is growing like weed. It's hands down the choice here. Consider:

Rochester has nearly doubled in size since 1980.
Bloomington is in a lull.
Duluth is losing population yearly.
St. Cloud has a looong way to go to catch Rochester.

This really isn't even a question of who will reach 100K first.

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
Rochester gets my vote. Duluth isnt growing very fast at all. There just isnt much of an economy there, its very weak. I love Duluth, my favorite city in all of Minnesota but it may have to wait a very long time to get to 100k. Bloomington is similar in that I doubt it will make 100k, but it has a better economy, but it is already built up and has no room to expand as it is surrounded by other cites. St Cloud will get there someday but it will take a while. So Rochester will most likely be first.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rochester easily. I have a friend that lives about 25 miles north of Rochester. When she moved there 5 years ago she was 30 miles from any significant developmernt in Rochester. Now the development reaches almost to the northern limit of the city. Rochester has grown faster to the south than the north, but is starting to gain momentum to the north part of the city.
Duluth is doubtful to ever reach 100,000 again IMO.
Bloomington is shrinking but still could gain population. It is starting to get into the condo game. That will help add density in areas that have not been developed yet.
Saint Cloud possibly in 20 years. But to do so Saint Cloud will need to annex more land, like Rochester has been doing.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Marathon are you thinking 225 kilometers? The k stands for thousands of people. Unless I'm totallly confused about what your statement means.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Mplsuptown said:
Marathon are you thinking 225 kilometers? The k stands for thousands of people. Unless I'm totallly confused about what your statement means.
No, I'm just making a comment about how spread out those 225K people are. The metro is actually overwhelmingly rural in nature...

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
On any level, do some people in the Twin Cities area change their paradigm from two to three and look at Tri-Cities, with Mpls and StP joined by Bloomington?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sometimes the metro is named "Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington", because, having the Mall of America, Bloomington qualifies as a commerce center within the metro.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts