SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 596 Posts

·
SingaporeRail
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Dover. the working name Singapore Polytechnic is definitely more appropriate because it serves mainly the students there. Furthermore, Dover estate is a distance fr the station.

2. City Hall. the building is a not within sight fr the station and none of the exit is facing it. gotta make a U turn to get there. suggestion: St Andrew's Cathedral. it is afterall historical building. if religious building is sensitive (btw, Novena is named after Novena Church), Padang or War Memorial Park seem better.

3. Clarke Quay, when it is located at Boat Quay? I know nowadays ppl reference to boat quay will oni mean those part to the east of south bridge road... but 2 get 2 clarke quay fr the station, really gotta walk a big detour... Suggestion? can't think of any besides Boat Quay as i m not very familiar wif the history of the area... think there is something call the new market, cf lau par sat, in the area previously rite?

4. Tanjong Pagar. this station is just like naming the library in Hougang New Town.. Cheng San Community Library... wat else can i say... :nuts:

·
arkitect
1,326 Posts
1. Don't you think "Singapore Polytechnic station" is a tad too long? Dover estate is not that far away either.

2. Same thing, "St Andrew's Cathedral station".... quite a mouthful isn't it? City Hall is one of the most significant venue around in the area.

3. Don't know. No comment.

4. Don't see anything wrong with naming the station after the location it sits on.

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
1. I agree with Kit. What happens if Singapore Poly decides to rename itself in future? You have to rename the train station names too? I dont usually like station names that are taken from buildings (or even from street names sometimes). City Hall is about the only one I can accept.

2. I dont agree on St And. Ca. as explained above.

3. The boundary between Boat and Clarke Guay is actually demarcated by Coleman Bridge. Sine the Station is to the left of the bridge, it does fall within the Clarke Quay area.

4. If its not called Tanjong Pagar..then wat? :D

Anyway, if I may add to your list:

5. Expo. Lets hope the Expo dosent change its building name. And lets hope it dosent get converted into some other uses anytime in future. :D

6. Kovan. I always hated this name, especially when it is serving my neighbourhood. My area has NEVER been popularly known as Kovan. That said, I also cant think of a good alternative name for it! ;)

·
SingaporeRail
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. I tot datz the reason why they dun name it Singapore Poly. but it's because of the Expo station that i thought they should give back the name.

2. actually the best is raffles city since most of the time i would usu refer dat rather than city hall but since it's a commercial bldg, the likelyhood of a name change is high so i chose the cathedral which is beside it oso. the cathedral is also a historical site so it sure has the same status as city hall. if the first is not accepted, i tot padang is still more appropriate. y i dun like city hall is explained earlier.

3. nope. clarke quay oni refers to the area around liang court, north of singapore river.
click here
will they ask me to pay 4 quoting fr their site? :bash:

4. the area where the station is on now wasn't known as tanjong pagar in the past. if i m not wrong, tanjong pagar actually referred more to the area west of the road of the same name. the working name of the station was actually maxwell.

5. most probably it is there 2 stay datz y the use the name. there is even a road named after it.

6. Kovan City got its name fr the MRT station? then rename as Hougang South as most ppl noe.

·
SingaporeRail
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Working names or MRT stations

u noe wat the stations were known as b4 they got their current names?

these r what i noe.
dover - singapore polytechnic
tanjong pagar - maxwell
raffles place - singapore river
khatib - sembawang
choa chu kang - bukit panjang (renamed because of realignment?)
chinatown - people's park
little india - kandang kerbau
potong pasir - sennett :baaa:

that's wat i could recall. correct me if im wrong.

anymore 2 add?

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
1. Ulu Pandan wont sound very glamorous would it? ;)

2. You have a Raffles City and a Raffles Place. Notice they dont like to name stations that sound "too alike." If it really needs to be renamed, I would prefer it be called "Stamford," after the road that runs over it. It would be more then appriopriate to have our two most important stations in the city named after our founder!

3. The Clarke Quay you know refers to the "commonly known" one by laymen. The Clarke Quay boundary I refered to comes from the URA. Too bad the map isnt available in the URA site liao, but if you wanna know, The Singapore River planning area is divided into 3 sections, with Boat Quay to the east of Coleman Bridge, Clarke Quay between Coleman and Clemenceau Bridges, and Robertson Quay to the west of Clemenceau Bridge.

4. Maxwell dosent sound as "localised" as Tanjong Pagar. Maybe for the same reason I hate the "Kovan" name. Then again, Anson, Robinson, Cecil or Shenton seem to sound slightly better? :D

5. If only it can be called Xilin, even thou the road is so far away! ;)

6. Logically it shd be Hougang South, but as I mentioned in point 2, they dont like similar-sounding station names for some reason.

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Walieu....can we merge this thread with the station names thread? No need to have two on the same topic lah. :D

Anyway....

Bugis - Victoria (goodness!)

Tanah Merah - Changi

Jurong East - Jurong

·
SingaporeRail
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1.ulu pandan is far fr the area lar. :bash: if oni 2 choices, dover is definitely better. anyway, if there is an mrt station in ulu pandan area, it will be named after it.

btw, y is SP political?? cos YCK is not NYP? :D

2. yar, used 2 b confused by the 2 stations in the past. Stamford sounds good. to me, to name a station after a building, it must really come very close to it, or at least have an exit near to it.

3. i noe wat plans u r toking about. the names r oni there 4 ease of planning. there is 1 planning area (can't remember which) with names mostly found on the monopoly board. :nuts: btw, i m not toking about seletar. these r like electoral boundaries. the names r not always related 2 the vicinity.

4. i think because we got used to the term that Tanjong Pagar now refers 2 the MRT area also.
anyway, i tot Shenton Way should be used. or even Anson but how dares to name it after the latter? :runaway:

5. Xilin is definitely a bit far but if the area is also known as xilin, y not?

6. i also noticed that they dun like to have similar names, to avoid confusion i suppose. so no Jurong West, Hougang South

7. Either Farrer or Farrer Park should be renamed then. the names r too similar. most likely they will rename Farrer since it's not in service yet but i tot that's the most appropriate name. Difficult to find subsitute. At least at Farrer Park there r other choices like Race Course......

since this involves the upcoming CCL stations, i shall add on

8. Convention Centre. I prefer it to be named after some place of significance, like the War Memorial (Park) next to it.

9. Boulevard. it has no meaning at all! :weird: Isn't it better to be known as National Stadium? Unless they intend to have a new name 4 the stadium after rebuilding it. Then name after the new stadium.

10. Tanjong Katong. too far fr the road. Dakota is better. furthermore there is a history behind this name. I think the plane Dakota crashed (into kallang airport?) :? somethng like dat. i m not very sure.

11. Marymount. this is ok but i prefer Shunfu, after the estate just next to it.

12. Adam. Adam Road is on the other side. However, i dunno wat to call it 2. :dunno: :D

·
SingaporeRail
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by huaiwei

Walieu....can we merge this thread with the station names thread? No need to have two on the same topic lah. :D

Anyway....

Bugis - Victoria (goodness!)

Tanah Merah - Changi

Jurong East - Jurong
i remember victoria too.. but i tot it is 4 lavender. luckily i din put it down. malu. :tongue2:

·
, , and , Fade to Black.
7,945 Posts
I dont mind City Hall called raffles city ? as there are many connections to the raffles complex
But city hall sounds much more offical

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
1. Er....that canal/river flowing pass the area is called Sungei Ulu Pandan loh! :D

3. I dont ever consider political names one lah. Hence my dislike for having a "Cheng San" library in Hougang Central as well.

4. Wats wrong with Anson?

Hm..since you brought up those names on the CCL, I have quite alot of problems with them too:

CC1 Douby Ghart - Acceptable obviously :D

CC2 Museum - Walao. I would prefer "Bras Basah" any day!

CC3 Convention Centre - I agree it sucks. How about "Esplanade"? Abit the far..but maybe "Memorial" would be good too?

CC4 Millenia - Did Pontiac Millenia sponser them or something? Might as well call CC3 Suntec. I would think its best to call it "Marina Centre" or even "Temasek" or "Banjamin Shears", since it is beside Temasek Avenue and Benjamin Shears Bridge!

CC5 Nicoll Highway - Golden Mile or even Kampong Glam?

CC6 Stadium Boulevard - Maybe this should be named after wat ever they choose to call the new sports hub?

CC7 Old Airport Road - Mountbatten instead? The current name sounds clumsy.

CC8 Tanjong Katong - Other then Dakota, may Broadrick can be considered too?

CC9 Paya Lebar - No change.

CC10 MacPherson - Good choice.

CC11 Upper Paya Lebar - Wat a clumsy name. Tai Seng is much better.

CC12 Bartley Road - Barley should be enough.

CC13 Serangoon - No change.

CC14 Lorong Chuan - Dosent sound very right, but cant think of a good alternative.

CC15 Bishan - No change.

CC16 Marymount - Im ok with either Marymount or Shunfu.

CC17 Thomson - Seems abit far off to be called Thomson, plus it seems to be in an ulu place (for now)....maybe give it a less significant name like Westlake? Caldecott even? hahaha

CC18 Bukit Brown - Dunno how they got this name. Must be the cemetary. :D

CC19 Adam - Good choice.

CC20 Farrer - This one very "farrer" leh...how to change? :D

CC21 Holland - Er..abit the wierd to be named after a country. Maybe they shd change this to Buona Vista and turn Buona Vista to Ghim Moh. hehe

CC22 Buona Vista - See above.

CC23 One-North - Hope this name sticks to the area for the long term...or else...change it to Ayer Rajah? :D

CC24 NUH - I prefer Kent Ridge.

CC25 West Coast - dosent sound nice..but bobian.

CC26 Pasir Panjang - Good choice.

CC27 Alexandra - Acceptable. A nice alternative could be Labrador.

CC28 Telok Blangah - Acceptable.

CC29 HarbourFront - This may be existing, but I wished it can be called Keppel! :bash: ;)

·
SingaporeRail
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dun u noe Anson was the first opposition ward after dunno how decades.

seems that u r more fussy than me on the names. :D

CC2 Museum. tot it is weird too. bras basah is good. mayb SMU, but unlikely since there is no SP, they wun have SMU

CC4 the area has no history at all so i tot it is ok 2 use the term millenia as they might wanna develop the area wif this name? actually i oso tot of temasek (same reason as u) but i like the suggested benjamin sheares very much. :eek:kay: might be used by the station // to the bridge in new downtown? Marina Centre is still the best.

CC5 though i dun really like it, i have no qualms about using a road name as a station name. similarly to Temasek for CC4, the nearest road i can find is Republic. sounds like a station in Ppyongyang. :tongue2:

CC6 so the working name is Stadium Boulevard. :tongue2: it is actually named after the road. the map oni put Boulevard so i tot it is extremely stupid to have a name with no meaning at all. i still prefer National Stadium or watever name they r going 2 name the new stadium.

CC7 Mountbatten is reserved 4 Mountbatten Est. the area is known as Old Airport so it is quite appropriate.

CC12 Lemon Barley is nicer. :D :bash: actually the working name is known as Bartley oredi.

CC14 because it is named after a road? call it Chuan then. most ppl should b more used to Lor Chuan. or Braddell Ht (too similar to Braddell)

CC17 ain't westlake and caldecott even farther? when the station is opened, it wun b ulu oredi.

CC18 definitely fr the cemetery. off topic: y Woodleigh is not called Bidadari instead? :bleep:

CC19 Adam is just too far fr the location. I prefer Bt Timah but some ppl would refer Bt Timah to the area around Beauty World. Furthermore, this name is likely reserved for Bukit Timah Est (though it could be called Toh Yi 2) really can't think of another name...... but Adam is just not rite......

CC20 agree. then Farrer Park must rename.

CC21 the station is named after the area which is named after the country. so if it is weird, the name of the area should change. they were kept because the govt wanna have some history 2 show ppl... the name is ok but i think Holland Village is better.

CC24 Kent Ridge reserved for 1 of the LRT stations in the campus?

CC25 if they can ensure Haw Par Villa survival, which i doubt so, name after it.

CC29 Is Harbour Front is govt property rite? so it's ok.

·
SingaporeRail
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CC4 Just realised that Marina Centre might not be that appropriate due to the existence of Marina Bay (to be renamed Marina in the future?)

actually is there a need to avoid similar names? with more and more stations coming up, there bound to be a time when the names have to be similar rite? like Farrer and Farrer Park; Old Airport and Changi Airport (quite unlikely to get confused for this)

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Anson should not be an issue by now lah.....afterall there is Eunos, Bukit Gombak, Potong Pasir and Hougang stations? :D

CC5 Republic actually sounds ok..and seems to follow the trend in the other staion names around the area....

CC7 Where is Mountbatten Estate? Anyway "Old Airport" sounds clumsy...

CC14 Yeah I did think of Braddell Heights too until I realised there is a Braddell

CC19 Adam Road is at the junction wat...very far meh? Then what...Botanic Gardens? :D

CC21 Actually I did wonder why call it Holland in the first place...I mean for the roads...Holland Village do sound better.

CC24 I am quite sure they can think of better names then Kent Ridge for a smallish LRT station. That statoin happens to cut through the entire ridge, and that is more then appriopriate! :D

CC25 Wahah!! Haw Par station?? :D

CC29 Since when is HarbourFront govt property?? I still prefer the old name of WTC thou.

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Originally posted by kenmin

CC4 Just realised that Marina Centre might not be that appropriate due to the existence of Marina Bay (to be renamed Marina in the future?)

actually is there a need to avoid similar names? with more and more stations coming up, there bound to be a time when the names have to be similar rite? like Farrer and Farrer Park; Old Airport and Changi Airport (quite unlikely to get confused for this)
I dont think Marina Bay is going to be called Marina...

In the much ealier plans, they actually did name the various new stations in the extended NS line. I remember some as being called "Marina Boulevard, Marina South, Marina East" and so on. Wonder if they are going to continue using that naming convention.

·
SingaporeRail
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by huaiwei

Anson should not be an issue by now lah.....afterall there is Eunos, Bukit Gombak, Potong Pasir and Hougang stations? :D

CC5 Republic actually sounds ok..and seems to follow the trend in the other staion names around the area....

CC7 Where is Mountbatten Estate? Anyway "Old Airport" sounds clumsy...

CC14 Yeah I did think of Braddell Heights too until I realised there is a Braddell

CC19 Adam Road is at the junction wat...very far meh? Then what...Botanic Gardens? :D

CC21 Actually I did wonder why call it Holland in the first place...I mean for the roads...Holland Village do sound better.

CC24 I am quite sure they can think of better names then Kent Ridge for a smallish LRT station. That statoin happens to cut through the entire ridge, and that is more then appriopriate! :D

CC25 Wahah!! Haw Par station?? :D

CC29 Since when is HarbourFront govt property?? I still prefer the old name of WTC thou.
but not during dat time mar. when the station was opened in 1987... Bt Gombak was named b4 the opposition took over the ward... another example is potong pasir lor... damn political. luckily they din call Hougang station Cheng San in the beginning.. :lol:

CC7 the small estate is in the south of the Old Airport Estate.

CC19 if the station is built at the junction of the 4 road, it is still acceptable. but the currently location is too far.. Botanic Gardens is more 4 the entrance at cluny road... if there is no better choice, name it Bt Timah. or Dunearn? i prefer the former.

CC24. dun 4get there is 1 more branch line fr BTL though not confirmed. mayb they r still deciding which station should get the name Kent Ridge?

CC29 it's not govt property?! i always have this impression cos the cruise centre is in it and also it was WTC in the past. then who owns it? not very proper to have a station name after commercial building as name changes r more likely... they could not use the name WTC because the name is controlled by some world organisation...

1 - 20 of 596 Posts