SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
muted
7,080 Posts
I'm going to get shit for this...

Lincoln Park. But I'll qualify it by saying that I'm not some yuppie Chad or anything of that nature. In fact, when I first came to LP I had dreadlocks (people, trixies in particular, gave me strange looks). I don't own an SUV, or any car for that matter, because I can't afford one. I'm not fond of spending time at sports bars or walking around the streets drunk chanting and shouting lame shit. I don't consider anything north of Irving Park to be the ghetto. Nor do I own that ubiquitous Burberry scarf.

·
Minneapolis
2,032 Posts
I don't exactly know what part of Chicago ill be representing when I finally make the move, but there are tons of cool neighborhoods that I love looking into.

Hydrogen, which part of LP do you live in? Does it have pretty decent El access?

·
Registered
395 Posts
What a hard question as I am on my 7th neighborhood in 9 years (and I have a couple of suburbs under my belt too). Most recently I represent east or ukrainian village (depending on who you talk to).

hydrogen -- don't apologize for living in LP, it gets a really bad rap, but there are some nice parts to it. While it isn't quite on my list of neighborhoods I'd want to move to, if I had the money, I'd live in Old-Town again in a second. I lived there in 'the cheapest apartment in the gold-coast' for a year in a half until the landlords finally got their paperwork together and realized what they had been charging me, thus exiling the likes of me back to where I belong (I moved to Albany Park) ;)

·
Registered
469 Posts
I live smack on the border of Old Town and the Gold Coast. I love both neighborhoods, and after spending some time in Lakeview, this is where I have essentially chosen to be.

Hydrogen, don't aplogize for living in LP. Are there some clueless morons that live in LP who couldn't give a rats ass about Chicago as a whole? Sure. Does that mean everyone there is like that? No it doesn't. I have plenty of friends that live there, and not all of them spend every Friday and Saturday night at The Apartment. LP is a beautiful neighborhood. There are some elements of it that do suck, but as I've stated before, these "Chads" are in Lincoln Park because of Chicago's strong popularity among young professionals. I'll take the Chads because it is better than the alternative. The alternative being that Chicago doesn't attract a lot of transplants and does not have the employment opportunities to bring Chads and Trixies here. Chicago is where many young Big Ten grads want to be. Take it as a sign of strength.

And as a guy, what the hell is wrong with a Trixie? If you don't enjoy the scenery at the Armitage stop on the brown line...

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
oshkeoto said:
Right now I am in exile in Evanston, but I grew up in Albany Park and lived for a couple years in West Rogers Park.
Hey Oshkeoto, where in Albany Park? That's my neighborhood!

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
I represent Chinatown, Bridgeport, Mckinley Park area.
Chinatown because thats where most azn people go to, the closest you get to China.
Bridgeport-because I live there.
Mckinley Park- where I used to live, where my grandparents are living at.

So basically I represent, Archer Ave, The Orange Line, and the Steveson expressway.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I really don't know what to call it. Its not Streeterville (to me, that is south of Northwestern Campus). People in my building don't call it Streeterville either. I wouldn't call it the Gold Coast (begins at Oak St). When people ask me, I just say "1 Block east of the JHC".

·
Registered
242 Posts
Andersonville. It's a great neighborhood with tons of restaurants and shops, and it's close to the lake and the el. It would be nice to live a little closer to the Loop, especially now that there's more going on there, but I sacrificed commuting time for affordability when I bought the condo I'm in now. Just by moving 2 miles north from Lakeview where I was living at the time, I was able to buy 2 bedrooms in move-in condition for less than a 1-bedroom needing work would have cost in Lakeview.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I live in Lincoln Park, and before that Lake Shore Drive & Bellevue on the Gold Coast.

Rep yo' hood, playa:

Yeah, we're pretty hard up here.

LA1 said:
I really don't know what to call it. Its not Streeterville (to me, that is south of Northwestern Campus). People in my building don't call it Streeterville either. I wouldn't call it the Gold Coast (begins at Oak St).
I've always considered Lakeshore Park to be the dividing line between the Gold Coast and Streeterville. East Lake Shore Drive is certainly Gold Coast...

·
Registered
229 Posts
East Lincoln Park is where i call home. I use to live in a nameless neighborhood at Diversey and Damen where there's a Costco currently. That neighborhood really sucks now and i'm glad i left.

·
Minneapolis
2,032 Posts
Hey Chi-town,

Which part of LP do you live in? I was looking at some maps, and it looks like the more eatern part of the area really lacks L/subway access. What do you use for mass-transit?

·
Registered
812 Posts
ThirdCoast312 said:
East Lincoln Park is where i call home. I use to live in a nameless neighborhood at Diversey and Damen where there's a Costco currently. That neighborhood really sucks now and i'm glad i left.
I think Diversey and Damen is "Lathrop Homes" technically, after the housing project. I doubt residents tell anyone that.

Chitown, nice pic of that girl. :)

·
muted
7,080 Posts
pottebaum said:
Hydrogen, which part of LP do you live in? Does it have pretty decent El access?
Right now I live kind of in central LP, I guess it would be. I'm one block west of Halsted and two blocks north of Armitage on Webster St/Dayton. Thus, I have good El options. I'm two blocks from the Brown Line station on Armitage and two blocks from the Fullerton Station, which has the Brown, Red, and Purple lines. I've got it good.

But, I did live in eastern LP for two years before I lived where I live now. I was four blocks east of the Lake (now I'm eight). Yes, it was a little annoying at times walking 7 blocks or so to the Fullerton Station, which was the closest one. In the winter, I didn't often feel like doing that. However, both the #22 and #36 buses come down Clark and head downtown (where I go to school). Since Clark St. was only a block a way, I would usually just take the bus. The only disadvantage of the bus is that it takes a little longer.

To answer your question, yes, El access in eastern LP is somewhat limited, but it isn't so far away that it's unthinkable to ride the El. And there are so many buses, chances are you'll find one that will take you where you want to go.

·
Registered
562 Posts
"Hey Oshkeoto, where in Albany Park? That's my neighborhood!"

On Mozart between Irving Park and Montrose, just west of Horner Park.

Pottebaum - don't worry about El access if you live in the eastern part of Lincoln Park. It's not that much of a walk, and you'll be so distracted by the pretty scenery that you'll get to the station before you know it. If it's really cold or something, you can use a bus.

Then again, I'm one of those people who believes that if you really want the best of Chicago, you shouldn't live in Lincoln Park. But to each his own.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Some one could get a map of chicago and record these information, and show it. I could do it, but I dont have an Image hoster that is free and big enough to post pictures.

·
Registered
406 Posts
pottebaum said:
Hey Chi-town,

Which part of LP do you live in? I was looking at some maps, and it looks like the more eatern part of the area really lacks L/subway access. What do you use for mass-transit?
I walk 3 blocks to the Fullerton stop.

If you live farther east, most people just take the bus down Clark.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts