SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. It's getting to be about that time where I start applying to universities. I live in California right now and am going to a 2 year community college but am looking to transfer to a 4 year university out of state. The school/cities I have narrowed it down to (and trust me I used to have about 75 schools on my list so I have REALLY narrowed it down) are:

Philadelphia: Temple University
Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh
New York City: CUNY Brooklyn College
Chicago: University of Illinois at Chicago
St. Louis: University of Missouri/St. Louis
Kansas City: University of Missouri/Kansas City
Boston: University of Massachusetts at Boston
New Jersey: New Jersey City University

So, out of these 8 colleges and cities which do you think would be the best combination (City and College) for a college student trying to live out the college experience? I'm not looking for which is the biggest party school, rather which has the most to do for a college student and what those things are. Any information on the cities, universities, pictures or anything you want is welcome.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Umass Boston isnt that great of a school. Academically it's ok, but it's mostly a commuter school for people who already live in Boston and its surrounding streetcar burbs - to my knowledge, there isnt even on-campus housing. The school's location is also off the beaten path, down on the Dorchester waterfront near the Kennedy library (i.e. nowhere near the "collegey" parts of Boston, like Huntington and Commonwealth Aves).

I firmly believe that Boston and Cambridge together offer the best urban college environment in the US, but Umass Boston's location will leave you missing most of this. You're better off at Pitt, IMO. Of course, you could always try to find housing in and around the Fenway/Northeastern/BU area and take the Red Line down to school, but that would be 1.) expensive and 2.) time-intensive.

Good luck, wherever you choose!

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
Shawn said:
Umass Boston isnt that great of a school. Academically it's ok, but it's mostly a commuter school for people who already live in Boston and its surrounding streetcar burbs
^Same with UMSL. That school is actually located in a suburb of St. Louis, but has great access to the city via MetroLink. Out of these, I'd say either Boston, NYC, or Pitt.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Trust me kid, you want nothing to do with UMSL. That is, unless you want your "campus life" to consist of the hour before and after class you spend drinking coffee and browsing bulletin boards in the student union before you get in your car and drive back to where you live...far removed from campus.

Commuter school. UMKC has similar traits as well. Scratch that one off your list too.

On the list you have, I think the best combination of school/urban environment would have to be Temple or Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm surprised Silverlake hasn't convinced you that you should stay in LA to go to college :)

(oops, I corrected Blink 182 for Silverlake)

·
Look closer...
1,137 Posts
UIC tends to be overshadowed by more famous schools in Chicago, most notably Univ of Chicago and Northwestern. There are several very well-reputed smaller schools in Chicago, Loyola and De Paul come to mind. Those friends of mine who have done college in Chi-town have nothing but good things to say. Being a poor college student you may need to go without a car, and Chicago's well-developed transit system will help you there. And of course being a big city there's plenty to keep you occupied. Aside from a few noteworthy programs I have not heard too much, postive or negative, about UIC.

I've heard good things about U of Pittsburgh. I've always liked Pittsburgh, but I hear they have a huge problem retaining young people. What a beautiful city, though.

·
18,178 Posts
your choice of school should be decied on the academics, how well you can fare at that school (no sense in going to harvard if you're going to fail many classes), that areas of study the school is especially good in, etc. making a decision on what school to go to based on what the city around it is like is not a very good idea. it appears you want to go to school in a big city, so any of those choices would be fine. really, though, you will have a good experience in college at any school, as long as do well in class and make lots of friends.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JivecitySTL said:
But Temple happens to be in a really shitty neighborhood.
Yea it's right on the border of North Philly right in Fishtown if I remember correctly. But I really don't care much about whether it's in a shitty area or not because it is right in the heart of the city and that is what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I went to school in Boston and its in my opinion the best city in the US to go to school in. Umass-Boston if I remember correctly isn't in the best neighborhood in the world. Of all those many many schools in Boston, it probably has the least desirable location.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I'm just glad to see you're leaving your home state. Not saying California is bad, but it's good to get away and experience new places, new people and new things.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
^ I would agree - experiencing what is different provides you with two advantages. One is you may very well like another place better, but the second reason might be is you may appreciate what you already have even more.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
dave8721 said:
I went to school in Boston and its in my opinion the best city in the US to go to school in. Umass-Boston if I remember correctly isn't in the best neighborhood in the world.
It really isn't in a neighborhood at all. Out on a point in Boston Harbor next to the JFK library. My sister went there & lived in those adjacent apartments paying well over $1200 a month for a one room apartment with her boyfriend.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pwright1 said:
I'm just glad to see you're leaving your home state. Not saying California is bad, but it's good to get away and experience new places, new people and new things.
Yea, I see what you're saying. That is one of the main reason I am leaving California. I want to get out there on my own and experience new things and people. A change of scenery would be good too :) I'm sick of all this sun.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
^^Actually Delawares and Phillys winters arent that bad. What about the university of Penn?

I still say try Boston its probably the best choice.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
xzmattzx said:
once you experience the cold, bone-chilling, lasts-all-day winter rain we have over here, you'll change your mind.
Well, who knows. Both my parents grew up in Philadelphia and they lived there for about 25 years through college until they moved out here to Cali. All my family (aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins) are out in Philly, and Jersey. I've been back there a lot and have experienced their winters. I really like them. I realize it may be different once I actually LIVE there as opposed to just visiting. But ya never know. I seem to really like and adjust well to the cold...now the heat on the other hand, I can not stand. And where I'm living now sucks for me because during summer the temperature will be up in the 100's a lot.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts