SkyscraperCity banner

Which of these cities has the best suburbs?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 364 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eventhough I know that pretty much all SSC users are city limits all the way, I was just curious, what city do you think has the best suburban area overall?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh damn, I meant to put detroit on there. Can you edit polls?

·
5,837 Posts
Going with ny suburbs cuz, thats all i know... basically think about Long Island, which has shitty and ordinary and glamorous suburbs.
same thing with Connecticut, Westchester, dutchess, rockland, counties.. North Jersey...
I like south jersey alot too. So i would say philly second. Been to chicago, the suburbs seem so cliche, and boring. Not to deflect from the city, its great but come on the suburbs anywhere sucks.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
nygirl said:
Been to chicago, the suburbs seem so cliche, and boring. Not to deflect from the city, its great but come on the suburbs anywhere sucks.

Well, depends on where in Chicago. I think Chicago's north shore are some of the best and most unique suburbs (not to mention affluent) with all the great perks of suburbia. (yes, great perks. If you like big houses, lawns, high degree of safety, then suburbia is your thing) These towns were mostly built prior to WWII. However, the western and southern burbs of Chicago, I can agree with you, are pretty bland. I usually go out of my way to avoid having to go out there...

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I voted for chicago burbs. Evanston is beautiful. Chicagoland is quintessential suburbia. Probably the most connected city-suburb relationship.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Chicago's northshore suburbs are beauitiful, and yes, there is a well defined city-suburban relationship here in the Chicagoland area. It's pretty cut and dry.

Overall, I think L.A.'s suburbs are the most developed. The reason being is that they mainly developed seperately or independently from the central city, so they act in many ways like a mini-city.

My vote goes to Los Angeles suburbs.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
nygirl said:
Going with ny suburbs cuz, thats all i know... basically think about Long Island, which has shitty and ordinary and glamorous suburbs.
same thing with Connecticut, Westchester, dutchess, rockland, counties.. North Jersey...
I like south jersey alot too. So i would say philly second. Been to chicago, the suburbs seem so cliche, and boring. Not to deflect from the city, its great but come on the suburbs anywhere sucks.
I'll agree with that!
I've lived in the city all my life, and I wouldn't think of raising my children anywhere else (unlike many other people).

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
LA, NYC, Chicago, Detriot...

we know the real answer is LA, but I'll go and pick Chicago, because suburbs like Evanston and Milwaukee ;)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know, I actually debated putting LA on there at all. It is ALL suburbs. It's strange to me that as of right now, it's in the lead.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
*Sweetkisses* said:
Detroit should be on there.
I think distressed cities lead to very affluent suburbs.
I do agree that Detroit need on list because it's huger suburb. Just more older suburb and developed than Atlanta.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I completely forgot about Detroit, I had every intention of adding it when I started making the thread, but then just totally forgot. It really sucks that you can't edit your polls. That is really stupid and should be changed

·
Registered
986 Posts
I had to vote for DC because of Bethesda, Silver Spring, Alexandria, Arlington and others. DC has lots of suburban areas that are either very historic and beautiful and/or oriented around subway stations.

·
Banned
568 Posts
i vote for dc like expat says theres silver spring, alexandria, bethesday, chevy chase, arlington, pentagon/crystal city, fairfax, rockville, potomac, mclean, langley, tysons corner, etc. some of these like bethesda/alexandria are as urban as US suburbs get. the suburb cities are in fairfax and montgomery county, which are two of the wealthiest in the nation. public education in these two counties are also at tops in the nation.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
LA, DC, NYC, Chi, SF.

Even though suburbs are evil, DC is pretty much all good except for a couple isolated areas in PG county. IMO, Great Falls, Alexandria, Arlington, McLean, Fairfax Station, Bethesda, Silver Spring are some of the nicest around.

Detroit is good enough to be mentioned, but I don't think it's in the top 3. It's got the Grosse Pointes, Oakland County, and Detroit's border cities. It's very good though, as you can expect having a high metro pop. compared to it's city size.

·
Registered
404 Posts
ROCguy said:
You know, I actually debated putting LA on there at all. It is ALL suburbs. It's strange to me that as of right now, it's in the lead.
LA isn't all suburbs. If you mean LA County, in some ways, yes. but there's so many big cities in LA county it's hard to tell nowadays, especially with so many people coming in. You could say Compton is a suburb of LA, or a suburb of Long Beach, or a suburb of Torrance.

But if you think suburbs are middle class houses on a never ending pattern where very few people walk, most of LA, especially the Southern parts, would definitely go against the definition of "suburb".

1 - 20 of 364 Posts