Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were a businessman and had to select one of the cities listed to relocate and invest in which one would you choose and why ? What kind of business would you open ?

Gaborone
Windhoek
Asmara
Lubango
Libreville
Dar Es Salaam

??

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
If you were a businessman and had to select one of the cities listed to relocate and invest in which one would you choose and why ? What kind of business would you open ?

Gaborone
Windhoek
Asmara
Lubango
Libreville
Dar Es Salaam

??
If I am going strictly from a business perspective, then I have to pic Lubango simply because of the massive amount of growth being accumulated in Angola right now. That leads to larger profits.

If it were to simply be an issue of which one I liked from a personal perspective with regards to investing, then I'd probably pick Windhoek.

In order after that would be:

Gaborone
Libreville
Asmara
Dar Es Salaam

·
Mister One Million
5,485 Posts
If I had to quicky characterize these cities:

Gaborone = good governance, little corruption

Windhoek = good governance, little corruption, but slightly more patrimonialism in the ruling party

Asmara = a dictatorship, could wind up at war with Ethiopia, has a curreny that I wouldn't want to depend on

Lubango = the economy is storming ahead, but corruption is more of a problem

Libreville = typical fracophone single-party patrimonialism, personal connections are very important

Dar Es Salaam = similar to Nairobi but less developed, good governance, moderate corruption, stable politics

From the list I would choose Gabarone or Dar es Salaam. They both have stability, Gabarone has less corruption and the large SA market next door. But Dar may be underserved by businesses and may have more growth potential.

·
South East Nine
39,933 Posts
Gaborone then Dar es Salaam. Both are the well established economic centres of their respective country, and quite prosperous.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Gaborone, without a doubt.:)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You shouldn't have put Gaborone and Windhoek just in the same non-wide list.I choose Gaborone and Windhoek,plus Dar es salam for tourism's sake.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
If I had to quicky characterize these cities:

Gaborone = good governance, little corruption

Windhoek = good governance, little corruption, but slightly more patrimonialism in the ruling party

Asmara = a dictatorship, could wind up at war with Ethiopia, has a curreny that I wouldn't want to depend on

Lubango = the economy is storming ahead, but corruption is more of a problem

Libreville = typical fracophone single-party patrimonialism, personal connections are very important

Dar Es Salaam = similar to Nairobi but less developed, good governance, moderate corruption, stable politics

From the list I would choose Gabarone or Dar es Salaam. They both have stability, Gabarone has less corruption and the large SA market next door. But Dar may be underserved by businesses and may have more growth potential.
^^
I fully agree with you. Though I think Dar is more of a laid back city for business. Business to start in Dar: Hotels or other tourist related business (considering its beaches and safari hinterland (the serengeti/mt kilimanjaro). Business to start in Gaborone: Mining, Livestock based industry.

·
Registered
40,884 Posts
My favourite cities out of the ones given are

1.) Libreville (I like mixtures, LBV is a bit atypical in many ways that I can´t enlarge on here, but you can get it all there from delicious African food to top end "Haute Cuisine", marvellous beaches, great bars, clubs, clean residential areas, nice people and above all LOW CRIME)

2.) Windhoek (it is very neat, orderly, makes even bigger German cities look pale and "lousy" in comparison)

3.) Gaborone (looks nice!)

4.) Lubango ( the setting of the city is awesome and it has been undestroyed by war:banana: , it will be a very nice African city in the years to come, I like Angola hugely, when it adds more entertainment facilities it will most likely be my most favourite out of the list above:) )

5.) Asmara (I like the Italian architectural remnants there, people seem to be nice, too)

6.) Dar Es Salaam (I am not too fond of it and I don´t know why exactly, from what I have ssen it hasn´t caught my fancy, maybe if I go there, I might like it)

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to a few here Lubango has potential for a great investment but the city isn't in shape as let's say Gaborone or Windhoek.

The city of Windhoek appears to be very clean and orderly. The standard of living there appears high.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts