Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The criteria being demographics, amenities, nightlife, education, general vibe, etc. It does not include size, because that would automatically make the smallest suburb an easy choice.

I'd have to say the Charlotte suburb that least resembles the city is Gastonia. If you cross the Catawba river west from the city into the adjoining county that includes and is centered around Gastonia, you're in a different world. No offense to any Gastonians, but that pseudo-edge-city has to be the biggest ******* ghetto I have ever seen. The entire "downtown" is an expansive, run-down, outdated district of crumbling empty mills and failing local retail, and the people have to be the meanest, most backwards lot in all of the Carolinas. Picture taking the biggest ******* in Arkansas and cloning him about 70,000 times, and that's Gastonia.
I'd also have to say Bessemer City is a candidate, but it's alot further away from Charlotte than Gastonia is, so the contrast is at least a bit more understandable.

·
Uptown Bound
1,199 Posts
My mom is from Gaston County, and she is not a *******. But 90% of my relatives on that side of the family are a bit hickish, shall we say. And then my dad's from Jersey. lol

Yes, Gastonia has not experienced much growth from Charlotte, but that will soon change. Gaston County is the Charlotte metro's next boom county. Yes, I called it.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
skysdalimit said:
My mom is from Gaston County, and she is not a *******. But 90% of my relatives on that side of the family are a bit hickish, shall we say. And then my dad's from Jersey. lol

Yes, Gastonia has not experienced much growth from Charlotte, but that will soon change. Gaston County is the Charlotte metro's next boom county. Yes, I called it.
With Rock Hill's current growth, it is poised to become the 2nd largest city in the metro. What continues to help York County is I-77 and Lake Wylie, which has only begun to see significant development. Also, being that it's just across the state line, companies get lured by the tax incentives SC provides.

·
Civilization
2,713 Posts
WOW kind of a hard question for me but I'll have to say Warner Robin because it has no downtown, it is an international mix unlike Macon, and the military is there which Macon does not have. Also there are almost no nightclubs or stuff like that in WR.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
JPKneworleans said:
All of them.
LOL...that's the truth. All of our suburbs look like Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Jacksonville, etc. etc...and then there's New Orleans, which looks like, well, New Orleans. LOL...way to call it like it is, JPK!! You have to admit it is a great life living in a unique city that none of the other's duplicate. They all look like each other! None of the suburbs of New Orleans look like New Orleans. They all look like the other American cities! :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
jmanhsv said:
For Huntsville, I would have to say Decatur. The biggest difference between the two cities is the type of jobs available. Decatur main focus is manufacturing, while Huntsville's is high-tech (duh... :) ).
But Decatur isn't a suburb of Huntsville, it is certainly a smaller city than Huntsville relatively close. But Decatur has it's own MSA...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sean in New Orleans said:
LOL...that's the truth. All of our suburbs look like Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Jacksonville, etc. etc...and then there's New Orleans, which looks like, well, New Orleans. LOL...way to call it like it is, JPK!! You have to admit it is a great life living in a unique city that none of the other's duplicate. They all look like each other! None of the suburbs of New Orleans look like New Orleans. They all look like the other American cities! :)
Amen. What's scary is that some people in the NOLA suburbs never come to the city or do things in the city. For instance, I know someone who lives in Metairie (she's about 40 or so), and she has been the Quarter three, yes THREE, times in her entire life. There are lots of similar stories.

The NOLA metro area without the heart of NOLA would be....nothing.

·
Two-bit Hack
331 Posts
For Tampa... that's tough, since I live in the city and studiously avoid the burbclaves to the greatest possible extent. I would have to pick Wimauma, though. Tampa has poor parts, and Tampa has a lot of Hispanic folks, but Wimauma is a town that mainly consists of poor Hispanic folks, many of them not here legally. Still, without them there would be no strawberry harvest. The really funny thing about Wimauma is that it abuts Sun City Center, a wealthy anglo retiree playground, across U.S. 301. The contrast is remarkable. Wimauma is actually quite a safe little town, but you just know the people over in Sun City Center lock the car doors when they drive through.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
QueenCityDrag said:
in my experience gastonia kids are some of the coolest and craziest people ever. But the drunk old men they hang out with on the other hand...
I agree.

In my first year of college there was a girl from Gastonia in my GE 101 class. She was not a *******.....she was nice and pretty. And she didn't act or talk "*******".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.