Skyscraper City Forum banner

Which towers will be built (or at least u/c) by 2012?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Futurist
38,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, let's take a poll. What's your gut feeling about these towers?

How many do you think will actually be built - or at least seeing ground level construction, with a core rising - by 2012?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I hope all of them will,but sadly that won't be the case,what with the demise of beetham tower following,ehhh..hem,Mr Boris johnsons concerns. (what a ****)

But i hope all the tallest get built. :)

·
Registered
24,356 Posts
LBT, Heron, Pinnacle & Leadenhall will be finished by 2012 (just).

Riverside South and St Georges Wharf will be under construction.

·
35,227 Posts
ahhh ok. so the pinnacle, heron and leadenhall won't be built and we are all suffering collective delusions. the developers with their cash are suffering them too. i guess the quantity surveyors who have costed the project are. i guess the contractors brought in to build them are. i am dealing with mass delusion with people i speak to all the time because YOU are right and dozens of people i know working for dozens of companies are wrong. after all, whats the contracted committments of many large companies backed up by hundreds of millions in cash to build skyscrapers compared to the "beliefs" of someone on a skyscraper forum.

·
Divemaster!
6,699 Posts
At least 3 by 2012 in the City? Forget about this.
Oh man I hope I am still around on this site by 2012 to see pics of Bish, Leadenhall and Heron all completed, just to see your response, I think I'll favourite this thread and if I'm still here by 2012 I'll be sure to quote you back on this!!

Imo: Heron and Leadenhall will be complete sometime in 2011, Bish will be complete either at the end of 2011 or early 2012, LBT will be complete early to mid 2012.

Plus I think St George's Wharf will be under construction, as will RS and Crossharbour. I would also go so far as to say I think some part of Wood Wharf will be being built, maybe the towers, maybe the lowers buildings. I'm not sure about 20 Fen St, I personally don't think it will be at the core stage by 2012, as I think they'll bide their time on that one, but probably basement construction.

A few of the other towers I'm not too familiar with so I haven't speculated on them.

·
Banned
350 Posts
ahhh ok. so the pinnacle, heron and leadenhall won't be built and we are all suffering collective delusions. the developers with their cash are suffering them too. i guess the quantity surveyors who have costed the project are. i guess the contractors brought in to build them are. i am dealing with mass delusion with people i speak to all the time because YOU are right and dozens of people i know working for dozens of companies are wrong. after all, whats the contracted committments of many large companies backed up by hundreds of millions in cash to build skyscrapers compared to the "beliefs" of someone on a skyscraper forum.
Did you talk to the same people when you published this on your website "Canary Wharf 2008"? Link: http://www.skyscrapernews.com/greenwich_2008.htm

"This astonishing rendering/montage shows the enormous growth that's predicted and proposed for Canary Wharf over the coming years. The nucleus is already there but the density is such that you can't even see half of Heron Quays and West India Quay is completely invisible.

This rendering shows Riverside South on the left, some unbuilt proposals for Heron Quays including Will Alsop's technicolour proposal to its immediate right and directly infront of them the London arena. Part of the Millenium Quarter is also visible with the new proposal for 1 Millharbour though many rises have vanished too again because of the density. Behind HSB and Citigroup is two towers for North Quay and finally a completely Barclays tower.

Visible or invisible because of density are 14 skyscrapers over 500ft tall, plus a further 7 over 100m tall. To put it another way Canary Wharf in 2008 when all this is scheduled for completition will be comparable to today's San Francisco.
"

·
35,227 Posts
god you are a right **** arent you. i didnt even make that image, i took the photo and thats all. its not even on the current version of skyscrapernews, or the version before it etc. youre looking at a webpage from 2001 whilst the world trade centers were still standing and heron quays was still being built that predates this forum which is why it has the original version of crossharbour on it. in defense of matt who did do the image, i would expect one looking seven years in the future to be as inaccurate when you havent even seen the design of the buildings and are guessing (north quay, pan peninsula hadnt even been proposed etc). well done jef! maybe slag me off for something i HAVE done yes? maybe you want to slag off architects journal, i believe they published that image too. how about slagging off the civic trust, they also published that image.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I hope all of them will,but sadly that won't be the case,what with the demise of beetham tower following,ehhh..hem,Mr Boris johnsons concerns. (what a ****)

But i hope all the tallest get built. :)
Do you know something we don't?, as far as i'm aware the result of the PI is not out yet, and Boris has no say in the matter other than make a comment.

All the city towers,LBT, RS South, I think by then with the up turn in the property cycle, even 100 Bishopsgate will start ( it may start sooner if a Arab property investment trust buys it)

Not so sure about anything in the Vauxhall area.

Betham if it gets past the PI ( why would some one invest in it if they wern't confident of it getting through).

Oh and Jef... are you related to Nostrodamus:nuts:

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
LBT-Built
Pinnacle- Built
Heron-Built
Leadenhall- Built
Crossharbour (Baltimore Wharf)- Built
St George's Wharf- Built
Merchant Square -Built/U/C
Riverside South- Built/U/C
1 Park Place- U/C
20 Fenchurch Street-U/C

1 Blackfriars Road (Mirax-Beetham tower) - Built (If it wins PI)
Northgate Tower (Bishops Place) - Built or U/C (again depending if it gets planning)

100 Bishopsgate- Demo

North Quay- Not until after Crossrail so a while yet.
Columbus Tower- unknown- Not 100% sure if Crossrail is stopping development but planning permission wil have run out by then so something will happen on this site, possibly a new proposal.
Wood Wharf- Groundworks & reconfiguration of docks complete.
Heron Quays West- Groundworks done at the very least
Croydon Gateway Landmark Tower - Depends on if Shroders/Stanhope win the PI as AIG are looking for new offices in the area & are getting impatient . If Arrowcroft win- No

Vauxhall Cross twin towers- Seem to have been lost in the abyss of Lambeth planning (might even have been withdrawn)

Sugar House- Nothing has been heard of this since this proposal was submitted for the MIPIM comp last year. Doubtful it will happen.

Cherry Orchard Road Towers -This along with most of the other Croydon towers are more effected by financing issues as other parts of London. So , as with most grand Croydon plans - doubtful.

None of the above (this poll option is for JamesC and oliviersa only )..You forgot Large ;)

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
LBT
Bishopsgate
Heron
Beetham (in some orm-those northerners are very persistant)
Crossharbour

To be honest as long as i get my LBT by 2012 I'll be content

·
35,227 Posts
it is jef, but given i have secured access to half a dozen of the building sites that you say arent going to be building sites i find your posts amusing. unless the contractors i have done deals with are hallucinating, their projects are very much on.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts