SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knott Mill could be a real integral part of Greater Manchester's transport network, if only the station was more welcoming, on both sides of Whitworth Street.

Firstly....

Call me an old romantic, but why is Deansgate train station not still called Knott Mill? It has such a better ring to it and would mean the original signs and art work can be uncovered away from those hideous 1980's British Rail efforts........and its not really Deansgate is it?

The link between "Deansgate" station and "G-Mex" tram station is discusting, and so underused, it smells of piss, is dark and has human poo in places.

And is it just me, but why have a link between the met and the train station and call them both two different names, surely this is confusing to visitors to our fair city.

And whats with the tram stop being so split up the way it is, with one platform 20 yards from the other. Get them next to each other and stick a roof on it, make trains and trams all under one roof. And have a nice entrance on the tram station side, giving access to the Northern Warehouse and G-Mex

This area is part of our Southern Gateway and our up and coming Conference District. Lets ensure its smart and makes us look good

·
Cowboy of Love
8,096 Posts
When the Beetham/ Hilton came before our heritage nazi panel there was some consternation that a physical link was not being created between the level of the Metrolink and the hotel/ offices. As it is if you want to get in to the hotel or the offices (if and when?) then you have to come downstairs onto Whitworth street and go round the block.
Wasted opportunity IMO.

·
Registered
11,475 Posts
Every day I walk down the "No pedestrian access" route onto Albion Street because the only other way is to go down to Deansgate Quays and round the canal which considering I'm usually late makes me even later. It is a bit of a farce.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts